Interesting tidbit regarding future P5 expansion

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:42 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:01 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:43 am The Louisville fan base has never seen Tulane as a serious or worthy opponent. In fact, if the ACC rules enable any member to veto a new candidate school, I don't think we'll ever get an ACC invite just because of Louisville. Hopefully the ACC rules require more than one veto to keep a school out.
Irony. Louisville is indeed a paradigm of virtue. I recall several scandals with Louisville and Petrino:
  • Female who had sexual encounter with Petino and later attempted to extort money
  • Adidas front a cool $100K to a Petino recruit
  • Prostitute who matched exotic "dancers" with Louisville recruits
And don't forget when Petino was caught nailing a gal on the table of a popular restaurant. All these scandals plus their academic standing all beg the question of how the ACC could throw away their longstanding reputation to add one school.
so Petrino was the inspiration for the movie line from "When Harry Met Sally" .... " I'll have what's she having"
Last edited by golfnut69 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We've managed to combine a Basketball Coach (Rick Pitino) and a Football Coach (Bobby Petrino) into one person! Kind of like the old days where the football coach was the AD and coached Basketball and baseball or track/field.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:41 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:22 pm UNC is probably the most desirable full member program in the ACC to either the SEC or B1G - so much so that it would be shocking if the ACC lost full members and UNC was not one of them. UNC combines top tier FBS academics, a 2nd tier recruiting state (tier after Texas, Florida, California, and Georgia), over 30k enrollment, elite basketball, a state where neither the B1G/SEC have a footprint, 2 top 25 media markets (Raleigh and Charlotte), etc. Of what remains outside if the B1G/SEC/ND, it’s a crown jewel and I doubt it’s stakeholders would be okay with it being in a 2nd tier conference by choice after the next realignment (ACC).
I don't disagree at all the UNC (and to an extent UVa) are really the kingpins of keeping the ACC together. What I think you and many others downplay, or fail to account for, is the desire of quite a few of the founding members of the ACC to keep it going and keep it one of the top 4 conferences. Many feel it's still a step ahead of the PAC 12 and Big 12 and will be more so after the PAC 12 loses USC and UCLA and Big 12 loses OU and UT. IF Notre Dame puts football into the ACC (they're already members for most other sports) the ACC could lose FSU and Miami and survive. Many, particularly on this board, think ND will end up in the B1G. They may, but it speaks volumes that they did NOT go that route with their 20+ other sports.
D- as you know this is an ever changing landscape. In this case there is a dramatic change dollar wise in the latest TV contracts. ND is trying to stay independent and will if it can get $75 million for its next football contract. If not the big money is in the BIG and that's where they will go. It won't cost them the $300 million or so that the full ACC members would have to pay to leave since ND is not a member in football. It would cost ND around $100 million to leave. That's doable for them.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:33 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:22 pm UNC is probably the most desirable full member program in the ACC to either the SEC or B1G - so much so that it would be shocking if the ACC lost full members and UNC was not one of them. UNC combines top tier FBS academics, a 2nd tier recruiting state (tier after Texas, Florida, California, and Georgia), over 30k enrollment, elite basketball, a state where neither the B1G/SEC have a footprint, 2 top 25 media markets (Raleigh and Charlotte), etc. Of what remains outside if the B1G/SEC/ND, it’s a crown jewel and I doubt it’s stakeholders would be okay with it being in a 2nd tier conference by choice after the next realignment (ACC).
I don't disagree at all the UNC (and to an extent UVa) are really the kingpins of keeping the ACC together. What I think you and many others downplay, or fail to account for, is the desire of quite a few of the founding members of the ACC to keep it going and keep it one of the top 4 conferences. Many feel it's still a step ahead of the PAC 12 and Big 12 and will be more so after the PAC 12 loses USC and UCLA and Big 12 loses OU and UT. IF Notre Dame puts football into the ACC (they're already members for most other sports) the ACC could lose FSU and Miami and survive. Many, particularly on this board, think ND will end up in the B1G. They may, but it speaks volumes that they did NOT go that route with their 20+ other sports.
D- as you know this is an ever changing landscape. In this case there is a dramatic change dollar wise in the latest TV contracts. ND is trying to stay independent and will if it can get $75 million for its next football contract. If not the big money is in the BIG and that's where they will go. It won't cost them the $300 million or so that the full ACC members would have to pay to leave since ND is not a member in football. It would cost ND around $100 million to leave. That's doable for them.
You are not the only one that thinks that way. But you have to realize that the Big 10 stuck it to ND whenever they could for decades after ND didn't join in the 70's, 80's and 90's. ND very notably DID NOT join the B1G for all of their other sports, they joined the ACC despite significantly higher costs of doing so. If the ACC had ND football, the TV money would not be that big of a gap from B1G to ACC.

In other words, to quote Lee Corso: "Not so fast my friends."
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

The problem is that the ACC would be a joke if it lost any two schools worth losing - UVA/UNC/FSU/Clemson - and there is no way that ND would join the ACC as a full member in all sports if any of those four schools left because the value proposition there would be even worse than it is now.* ND will remain an independent until the money and/or exposure is too much for it to bear - i.e. the B1G/SEC create a new division that is separate from NCAA/FBS and/or ND would be in a situation where it would be losing $50M/year by staying independent.

UNC is in a similar spot where while they may prefer the ACC to the B1G or SEC, they, like everyone else who isn't B1G/SEC/ND would jump at an invite to either the SEC/B1G of those conferences once the spectre of the GOR is no longer present. If UNC is still in the ACC after the current deal ends, it will be because either (1) a new GOR was approved without their consent or (2) neither the SEC/B1G expanded. Personally, I had believed that the B1G was going to add Oregon/Washington/Stanford/Cal last year and the SEC was going to try to add UNC/UVA/FSU/Clemson despite the GOR, but the B1G standing pat has slowed realignment as the B1G is truly in the drivers' seat as the SEC is not able to expand with meaningful programs in its region due to the ACC GOR.

*For clarity, ND would likely make less as a full member of the ACC (with or without any of its current members) than ND makes under its new deal as an independent program.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:47 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:33 pm

You are not the only one that thinks that way. But you have to realize that the Big 10 stuck it to ND whenever they could for decades after ND didn't join in the 70's, 80's and 90's. ND very notably DID NOT join the B1G for all of their other sports, they joined the ACC despite significantly higher costs of doing so. If the ACC had ND football, the TV money would not be that big of a gap from B1G to ACC.

In other words, to quote Lee Corso: "Not so fast my friends."
D- as noted above ever changing landscape. The BIG has an open invitation to ND.Imagine how the BIG money goes up with the addition. As to the ACC it would get a bump for sure from ND joining in football but it still wouldn't be BIG money.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

One of the problems with Notre Dame staying independent is the new college football playoffs rewards conference champions with automatic bids and a bye for the 4 highest ranked champions. Notre Dame wouldn't be eligible as an independent.

If the ACC doesn't get Notre Dame and loses them to either the SEC/Big Ten, you will see a mass exodus from that conference. I think Notre Dame will eventually find its way to the SEC because the money is better and they can stick it to the Big Ten.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:06 pm One of the problems with Notre Dame staying independent is the new college football playoffs rewards conference champions with automatic bids and a bye for the 4 highest ranked champions. Notre Dame wouldn't be eligible as an independent.

If the ACC doesn't get Notre Dame and loses them to either the SEC/Big Ten, you will see a mass exodus from that conference. I think Notre Dame will eventually find its way to the SEC because the money is better and they can stick it to the Big Ten.
g78- ND's AD was on the group that came up with the playoff plan. He's fine with it as he said he understood that the others have to play a CCG and ND doesn't. He was good with playing the first playoff game on campus.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tufinal4 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:43 pm Those rankings prove we're as good an option as anyone left on the board, that's all we have to be. On top of that, we are an AAU school, we operate in a recruiting hotbed, and we are in a top 50 TV market. I think we're in pretty good shape now that the football program is ranked.
Exactly. Suddenly we have many things working in our favor, including a lot of national publicity. The big challenge is continuing to win by getting a full commitment from Gibson Hall--which can be manifested by signing Willie, building the football ops, IPF and getting an upper deck on the west side and north end of Yulman. Last but not least, a new multi-purpose arena.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:19 pm We've managed to combine a Basketball Coach (Rick Pitino) and a Football Coach (Bobby Petrino) into one person! Kind of like the old days where the football coach was the AD and coached Basketball and baseball or track/field.
:lol: :lol: True, we have. A combination of my misspelling and the ethical blur between the two.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
greenie78
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:52 pm
DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:19 pm We've managed to combine a Basketball Coach (Rick Pitino) and a Football Coach (Bobby Petrino) into one person! Kind of like the old days where the football coach was the AD and coached Basketball and baseball or track/field.
:lol: :lol: True, we have. A combination of my misspelling and the ethical blur between the two.
That combination saved you alot of typing while accurately portraying how embarrassing Louisville has been to the ACC.