Claiborne Lot Poll

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Should the University make the Claiborne Lot available to Athletics and their needed facilities?

YES - Football School πŸ’™πŸ’š
100%
NO - Academics First πŸŽ“
No votes

Total votes: 11
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Tulane Athletics is clearly landlocked. Should the University make the Claiborne Lot available to Athletics and their much needed facilities? πŸˆπŸŒŠπŸ’šπŸ’™

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
anEngineer
Riptide

It depends on what they are planning to do there. Does anyone know what the plan is?
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:53 am It depends on what they are planning to do there. Does anyone know what the plan is?
Not really sure, but in the interview with Kaare, Troy made it sound like it wasn't available at all to academics. Make sure to vote in our Twitter poll tool. Interview linked below again as well.

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:49 am Tulane Athletics is clearly landlocked. Should the University make the Claiborne Lot available to Athletics and their much needed facilities? πŸˆπŸŒŠπŸ’šπŸ’™
If the Bored, yes I know what term I used, does not turn that property over to the athletics for an IPF, or a "performance center" of some type, then ya know where Tulane is headed
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Ruski
Swell

People that are smarter than me.....could they build an underground garage on that land?

Washu recently had a similar project building on some of their parking lots. They built 800 parking spots underneath.

In my time at Tulane, the campus was choked off by Audobon and Claiborne. Everything was very much focused toward St. Charles. This could be a great opportunity to heal the grid and connect campus with Claiborne/Fontainebleau.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:57 am
anEngineer wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:53 am It depends on what they are planning to do there. Does anyone know what the plan is?
Not really sure, but in the interview with Kaare, Troy made it sound like it wasn't available at all to academics. Make sure to vote in our Twitter poll tool. Interview linked below again as well.

The only reasonable use of the Claiborne Lot, other than for athletics, would be to build a multi-story parking lot that would serve both athletics and general parking needs. The biggest issue is Turchin. Every game I've ever been to at Turchin the Tulane fans appear to largely be older fans and definitely not many students. I just don't see the need for Turchin to be on campus. With the Turchin space, we could construct all the football facilities we need, and maybe squeeze in a new multi-purpose basketball arena. It would cost a lot to move Turchin, but its current location is a major obstacle--all because it was built with no apparent long-term strategy or plan for efficient use of our limited space.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
GreenLantern
Riptide

Difficult to respond to this poll without knowing what use the university intends for the property. If it is a vital and necessary part of a strategic academic-needs expansion that’s one thing. If its going to be a library devoted to Scott Cowen’s personal papers that’s another.

As isolated as the property is from the other academic infrastructure, it’s hard to believe that it is a necessary part of that sort of expansion.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:06 am
NOLABigSteve wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:57 am

The only reasonable use of the Claiborne Lot, other than for athletics, would be to build a multi-story parking lot that would serve both athletics and general parking needs. The biggest issue is Turchin. Every game I've ever been to at Turchin the Tulane fans appear to largely be older fans and definitely not many students. I just don't see the need for Turchin to be on campus. With the Turchin space, we could construct all the football facilities we need, and maybe squeeze in a new multi-purpose basketball arena. It would cost a lot to move Turchin, but its current location is a major obstacle--all because it was built with no apparent long-term strategy or plan for efficient use of our limited space.
move Turchin to the property at the Orleans (Claiborne ave) - Jeff Parish (Jefferson Hwy) line... the majority of the stadium can be unbolted and re assembled at that site...as U state most attendees are not students, but those living in the "burbs " or across the lake
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Back in the day Athletics controlled all the land North of Willow Street. Later academics took all the land where Tulane Stadium once stood. Built dorms, TISM, parking garage, the Reily Center and Brown field.
The Claiborne lot was the Rosen House which housed married couples on campus. I thought that was traded back to Athletics for all the land Academics took.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Greeniegb
Swell

tpstulane wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:24 am Back in the day Athletics controlled all the land North of Willow Street. Later academics took all the land where Tulane Stadium once stood. Built dorms, TISM, parking garage, the Reily Center and Brown field.
The Claiborne lot was the Rosen House which housed married couples on campus. I thought that was traded back to Athletics for all the land Academics took.
Troy today said the Rosen Lot is off limits the University has plans for it.
How about tearing Diboll Garage down and building a taller larger one on Claiborne where Rosen Lot is. Would Diboll location be a better athletic facility???
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The Claiborne lot is in a different zip code from any academic activity at Tulane University.....I wonder what the "grande plan" is
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Dannen has said repeatedly that Turchin is untouchable. Unfortunately, that has to change. If we're going to be a "football school" baseball needs to be an afterthought. Sorry, but that's what baseball is at "football schools", even those that dominate baseball like our friends up the river. They should move it to the location golfnut mentioned above. Is the old "uptown square" site still dormant?

An underground garage would be difficult given the fact that the city is below sea level and would be a nightmare during storms. I don't know that it's impossible but highly improbable. I want to see a significant announcement, like adding the upper deck on the west side of Yulman, or moving Turchin for an IPF. Or an IPF with a huge garage on top! Make a statement that we're all in for a P5 invite. Make a commitment to play the facilities upgrade game. Do SOMETHING!

This hit me today. We will forever be 1-0 in the 2023 Cotton Bowl. I hope they put 1-0 on their Cotton Bowl/G5 Championship rings.

And let's take the goddammed NY6 bid 2 years in a row.

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V