Returning Roster 2023

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Ruski
Swell

So I'm trying to piece togther who all is returning and how many spots we have left for transfers/signing day. According to CBS, we have 118 players on the 2022 Roster.

Players leaving:

Offense
- Tyjae Spears
- Tyrick James
- Will Wallace
- Dea Dea McDougle
- Cam Carroll
- Duece Watts
- Phat Watts
- Shae Wyatt
- Joey Claybrook
- Hutson Lillibridge

Damn! If we can replace the receptions, gonna be sickkkk. I fully expect Celestine and Shaadie to step up, they impressed me this year. Will Carroll come back? He's got a COVID year he can get back, and I bet he could get a hardship waiver for this year too.

We got Cameron Wire to help replace Claybrook, so that should be alright. Bauman's performance in the Cotton Bowl makes me feel better about losing Tyrick.

Defense
- Nick Anderson
- Dorian Williams
- Larry Brooks
- Macon Clark
- Lummie Young IV
- Tylo Phillips
- Alfred Thomas

Dang we lose a lot of dudes at LB/S. Tyler Grubbs should help a ton. A more attacking D-Line would

By my count, we're losing 17 players with 22 coming in. So not really any room to bring more guys in, but Fritz said they could make room for a few more kids that are special.

On offense, really just need to figure out who's catching the ball. You got Jha'Quan and Keys coming back with 63 receptions and 848 yards and 5 TDs. For comparison Wyatt and Deuce had about 1400 yards and 15 TDs. Throw in Tyrick and McDougle and we got 21 TDs to make up. Should be able to land a top WR transfer after that Cotton Bowl.

On defense, we're losing literally our top 5 tacklers. Ouch! Wonder what Fritz plans to do for Safety with Brooks, Clark, and Young all leaving.

Overall diving into the roster, I feel much better now. We lose some key pieces but bring back, what 70-75% of our starters? With our schedule and our roster, 9 wins should be the minimum expectation next year!

RobertM320
Green Wave

Are we positive Phat Watts isn't coming back?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:30 pm Are we positive Phat Watts isn't coming back?
You make a good call. When I saw this tweet, I assumed it meant Phatt's career was over. But now rethinking that.

RobertM320
Green Wave

I saw that tweet as well. That's why I'm wondering.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Tulane1111
High Tide

Did Bauman play in the slot a few times?

Thought i noticed that, but maybe that is a traditional formation for out TE’s in certain sets.

In the 4th quarter did notice
that an adjustment we made on defense was Williams was an edge rusher, not a blitzing linebacker & not disguised. Which said they were willing to rush more guys, But were not going to compromise on quickness/containment of the QB.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I like Celestine and Shaadie but Spears is a rare breed. His big plays made a huge difference this season. Hopefully we get some good WR transfers. We also need help all over the defensive backfield. Canady got hurt late in the season so good chance he's not the same player till very late next season if at all. Anderson and Williams are huge losses. Machado and Platt will be ok but not that their level yet. Anderson will be especially missed. He is a great player and an even greater leader. He was THE LEADER of this team. The other big thing this team will miss is the Boulder on their shoulder. That 2-10 hung over them and drove them.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

I agree that Spears's big play ability will not be easily replaced. Our returning RBs have talent, but Spears is special with his ability to create his own holes and big play ability. Trey Cornist is a really talented recruit and could make an impact. Duda Barnes is a talent too at the RB spot, but Spears is special and looks to be the next Darren Sproles.

To offset the loss of Spears, we will need to see continued improvement in the passing game. Hopefully Pratt's experience will help him carry the offense next year.

Defensively there are question marks, but we have talented prospects. The D-line will be the strength next year.
Eaglewave
Swell

It’s going to be interesting to see what we look like facing Ole Miss. The hype would be incredible if we could pull off a win.
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:41 pm I like Celestine and Shaadie but Spears is a rare breed. His big plays made a huge difference this season. Hopefully we get some good WR transfers. We also need help all over the defensive backfield. Canady got hurt late in the season so good chance he's not the same player till very late next season if at all. Anderson and Williams are huge losses. Machado and Platt will be ok but not that their level yet. Anderson will be especially missed. He is a great player and an even greater leader. He was THE LEADER of this team. The other big thing this team will miss is the Boulder on their shoulder. That 2-10 hung over them and drove them.
in 2023, Tulane will be a team with a target on it's back... it will be interesting to see what the team will use for motivation next season
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:30 am
winwave wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:41 pm I like Celestine and Shaadie but Spears is a rare breed. His big plays made a huge difference this season. Hopefully we get some good WR transfers. We also need help all over the defensive backfield. Canady got hurt late in the season so good chance he's not the same player till very late next season if at all. Anderson and Williams are huge losses. Machado and Platt will be ok but not that their level yet. Anderson will be especially missed. He is a great player and an even greater leader. He was THE LEADER of this team. The other big thing this team will miss is the Boulder on their shoulder. That 2-10 hung over them and drove them.
in 2023, Tulane will be a team with a target on it's back... it will be interesting to see what the team will use for motivation next season
Yeah, I'm not sure what the season-long motivation will be in 2023, but we should have plenty of motivation for the Ole Miss and USM games.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:57 am
Yeah, I'm not sure what the season-long motivation will be in 2023, but we should have plenty of motivation for the Ole Miss and USM games.
well, that is 2 of 12...OK I got the motivation, " beat the state of Mississippi" both the north and south ends
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:00 am
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:57 am
well, that is 2 of 12...OK I got the motivation, " beat the state of Mississippi" both the north and south ends
They both should serve as revenge games.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Ruski
Swell

I think the RB talent is pretty good. Spears is elite, so it'll probably be a step down but still really good.

The thing I'm looking forward to is that the OLine and DLine should take a step forward. And that should take the pressure off our skill positions (RB/WR/LB/S). If that happens, we could even be stronger 8-)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The only way our lines are getting better is the transfer portal. The O-line was better this year but that's low bar syndrome. Spears made them appear much better than they actually were. The D-line will get Friloux back which will help. Hodges coming back in shape next season would be a big help.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
anEngineer
Riptide

We played the second half of the season without Canady, so secondary should be better and maybe we can mix in some man coverage to go after QBs a little more.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He got hurt in game 8. So he'll play next year but likely won't be near peak form for most if not all season. So we have Robinson and Monroe and nothing really behind them. We need portal help at both CB and Safety.
Ruski
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:09 pm He got hurt in game 8. So he'll play next year but likely won't be near peak form for most if not all season. So we have Robinson and Monroe and nothing really behind them. We need portal help at both CB and Safety.
We did get (CB) AJ Hampton out of Northwestern. In 2021 he earned all Big10 Honorable Mention before getting injured in 2022. He was expected to contend for All Big10 CB this year.
From Northwestern fansite:
Besides the injury bug, there was nothing to complain about when Hampton was on the field. Once he returned for the second half of Northwestern’s season, he played the part he was supposed to: he contributed to a Northwestern secondary that was much improved come Big Ten play.

While Hampton only played seven games this year, he provided glimpses of a number one corner. Though he was not usually matched against a team’s number one wide receiver (this was Mitchell’s job), he was able to lock down some players and cancel them out of the game.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:09 pm He got hurt in game 8. So he'll play next year but likely won't be near peak form for most if not all season. So we have Robinson and Monroe and nothing really behind them. We need portal help at both CB and Safety.
It seemed like a lot longer than game 8, but you're right about that. That said, it was October 22nd. I don't know the exact nature of his injury, but we need him. Despite his Cotton Bowl interception, I think he's much better than Monroe.

The biggest loss I think is the leadership, particularly on D. Anderson and Williams, 1 & 2 were the heart and soul of our D, and really of the team. Pratt is definitely a leader, he was not to be denied late in the year. Every team, each year, is a different entity. I cannot wait to see the 2023 Green Wave. The 2022 one went 1-0 in 2023! I'm still pinching myself. We won the f'ing Cotton Bowl.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We definitely agree on the leadership issue. Big loss.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:09 pm
We did get (CB) AJ Hampton out of Northwestern. In 2021 he earned all Big10 Honorable Mention before getting injured in 2022. He was expected to contend for All Big10 CB this year.
From Northwestern fansite:
Besides the injury bug, there was nothing to complain about when Hampton was on the field. Once he returned for the second half of Northwestern’s season, he played the part he was supposed to: he contributed to a Northwestern secondary that was much improved come Big Ten play.

While Hampton only played seven games this year, he provided glimpses of a number one corner. Though he was not usually matched against a team’s number one wide receiver (this was Mitchell’s job), he was able to lock down some players and cancel them out of the game.
Thanks for the reminder. I'd like one more there though as I have doubts about Canady's timely recovery.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981