Tulane Beats USC 46-45 to win the Cotton Bowl!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

And this one:

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just saw this in my YT feed
National praise from Yahoo one month ago
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:32 pm Just saw this in my YT feed
There's not a lot of flattering things said about Tulane or Tulane football in that video. For the most part, it was something akin to "even a blind squirrel finds a nut every 88 years." How many times do they repeat "Michael Pratt completed 8 passes?" They also repeat "teams wondered how they lost to that team" at least 5 or 6 times. Praise? Hardly.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:58 pm
tpstulane wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:32 pm Just saw this in my YT feed
There's not a lot of flattering things said about Tulane or Tulane football in that video. For the most part, it was something akin to "even a blind squirrel finds a nut every 88 years." How many times do they repeat "Michael Pratt completed 8 passes?" They also repeat "teams wondered how they lost to that team" at least 5 or 6 times. Praise? Hardly.
Well I guess it’s more of a knock of USC. I confess I only got around to watching the beginning.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

We have to quit being so thin skinned. The reason why it was so euphoric is that it was that improbable for all the reasons they mention. It was truly shocking and not entirely of our making.
USC basically playing for a FG on their last drive when we hadn’t stopped them all game, USC’s defensive call allowing Tulane to break a simple slant for 70 yards to set up a quick TD, then the inexperienced returner giving us the ball on the one, the Riley stupidly calling for a deep mesh handoff on 2nd down after we almost got a safety on first down we’re all USC screwups. Of course we took full advantage of those decisions by them but we need a lot of help to win that.
Wave755
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:41 am USC’s defensive call allowing Tulane to break a simple slant for 70 yards to set up a quick TD,
🤔 I wonder if Tyjae Spears had anything to do with that USC defensive call?
MicMan
Swell

I was there and after USC went up 45-30 with 4:30 to go, turned to my friend and said Tulane would win no problem, since we were facing a Lincoln Riley team with a Heisman winner.
DrBox
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:41 am We have to quit being so thin skinned. The reason why it was so euphoric is that it was that improbable for all the reasons they mention. It was truly shocking and not entirely of our making.
USC basically playing for a FG on their last drive when we hadn’t stopped them all game, USC’s defensive call allowing Tulane to break a simple slant for 70 yards to set up a quick TD, then the inexperienced returner giving us the ball on the one, the Riley stupidly calling for a deep mesh handoff on 2nd down after we almost got a safety on first down we’re all USC screwups. Of course we took full advantage of those decisions by them but we need a lot of help to win that.
Here are some facts about the game:
Defensive Stops (aside from end of half plays): USC 4, Tulane 4. USC 4 (2 punts, 1 FG, 1 fumble recovery); Tulane 4 (o punts, 2 FG, 1 safety, 1 int). We stopped them as often as they stopped us.
Big Defensive Plays: USC 9 Tulane 9: USC 4 Sacks; 4 TFL, 1 TO; Tulane 0 Sacks, 8 TFL, 1 turnover.
Rushing Yards: USC 32/132; Tulane 34/305. We gashed USC on the ground, and we stuffed their running game (except for 1 run).

USC wasn't playing for a FG. They were trying to run clock. We held them to a FG because we had a big TFL on first down. They threw passes on 2nd and 3rd down.
Watts found a seam because they were overplaying the run due to its success all game long.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:18 am
Jaxwave wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:41 am We have to quit being so thin skinned. The reason why it was so euphoric is that it was that improbable for all the reasons they mention. It was truly shocking and not entirely of our making.
Defensive Stops (aside from end of half plays): USC 4, Tulane 4. USC 4 (2 punts, 1 FG, 1 fumble recovery); Tulane 4 (o punts, 2 FG, 1 safety, 1 int). We stopped them as often as they stopped us.
Big Defensive Plays: USC 9 Tulane 9: USC 4 Sacks; 4 TFL, 1 TO; Tulane 0 Sacks, 8 TFL, 1 turnover.
Rushing Yards: USC 32/132; Tulane 34/305. We gashed USC on the ground, and we stuffed their running game (except for 1 run).

USC wasn't playing for a FG. They were trying to run clock. We held them to a FG because we had a big TFL on first down. They threw passes on 2nd and 3rd down.
Watts found a seam because they were overplaying the run due to its success all game long.
This! So much this. The better TEAM won!

Happy Mardi Gras!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Isn't it great that we beat USC! I wonder if the City of New Orleans would have taken to the Green Wave as much as it is if we had beaten Utah?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:00 pm Isn't it great that we beat USC! I wonder if the City of New Orleans would have taken to the Green Wave as much as it is if we had beaten Utah?
It being USC WITH The Heisman winner made a huge difference!
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:41 am
Jaxwave wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:41 am USC’s defensive call allowing Tulane to break a simple slant for 70 yards to set up a quick TD,
Good point but down two scores would have been very risky running the ball at that point
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:25 pm
Good point but down two scores would have been very risky running the ball at that point
Not really with Tyjae's big play ability. They had to respect that and it opened up the pass.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:16 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:25 pm
Not really with Tyjae's big play ability. They had to respect that and it opened up the pass.
😎 Yep, for USC it was “choose your poison,” ☠️ and they chose to play run rather than pass. And remember, against UCF Spears’ big 60 yard TD run took in toto only about 15 seconds.
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave trolls “amnesiac” Trojans who seem to have forgotten a certain game played on 1-2-2023?
😂https://247sports.com/Article/Tulane-ta ... 208482815/
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:13 am Wave trolls “amnesiac” Trojans who seem to have forgotten a certain game played on 1-2-2023?
😂https://247sports.com/Article/Tulane-ta ... 208482815/
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
BC Wave
Swell

DrBox wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:18 am

Not to quibble, but I think Tulane had 5 defensive stops.

I think End of Game counts as a stop.

Of course, as I remember, USC would also get a 5th for their End of Half stop.

Either way, it was the most amazing outcome I have ever witnessed.
Wave755
Tsunami

While we are back on the Cotton Bowl, the below video, 10 minutes in length, shows game highlights from the Skycast perspective
(cable-suspended camera system). A whole different perspective from which to relive the greatest Tulane game of our lifetime; Wave fans, enjoy. :D

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:22 pm While we are back on the Cotton Bowl, the below video, 10 minutes in length, shows game highlights from the Skycast perspective
(cable-suspended camera system). A whole different perspective from which to relive the greatest Tulane game of our lifetime; Wave fans, enjoy. :D

Awesome!
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:23 pm
Wave755 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:22 pm While we are back on the Cotton Bowl, the below video, 10 minutes in length, shows game highlights from the Skycast perspective

Awesome!
Let's hope Phat Watts has the same timing with Michael Pratt as Deuce had this season. 🍀 The Skycast really shows the game from the quarterback's perspective. Michael Pratt to Jha'Quan Jackson for 87 YARDS is a thing of beauty to see from Michael's perspective as are the big passes to Deuce and the game winning throw to Alex Bauman. And, not to forget the Skycast bird's-eye view of the big safety!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Wave755
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:58 am
Great ring, the Cotton Bowl does things right. If we beat Ole Miss on 9/9/2023 to another New Year's Six Bowl we go, the Peach!
Dave breslin
Swell

Here’s my stat—Wave46 USC 45
Dave breslin
Swell

Here’s another stat—we are undefeated in 2023
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:58 am
Very nice
Tulane Class of 1981