Coach of the Year - Willie Fritz

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There was nobody even close in the AAC. I'm thinking he will probably beat out Jim Mora for National Coach of the Year.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

Well-deserved if just for his selection of assistant coaches for this season (i.e. - this season no Chip Long blunders).
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Congrats to coach! Well deserved!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Congrats Willie!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Finalist for National Coach of the Year
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

I think Dykes has the inside track to that.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Who saw us as having the AAC Offensive Line of the Year before the season started?

You have to click on the image in the tweet about AAC Offensive Awards.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:13 pm I think Dykes has the inside track to that.
Hopefully they'll recognize that Dykes inherited a full cupboard, whereas Willie built his cupboard. Also, Dykes didn't pull off a 2-10 to 11-2 swing. Plus, Willie doesn't crybaby throughout the game like Sonny does. Here's hoping that Persistence prevails over Opportunism.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Congrats to Coach Fritz. Just a remarkable job this season--especially through the gauntlet of the past five weeks. Everyone knew the last four weeks of the regular season were going to be very tough, and he essentially ran the table if you count the CCG revenge win.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:33 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:13 pm I think Dykes has the inside track to that.
Hopefully they'll recognize that Dykes inherited a full cupboard, whereas Willie built his cupboard. Also, Dykes didn't pull off a 2-10 to 11-2 swing. Plus, Willie doesn't crybaby throughout the game like Sonny does. Here's hoping that Persistence prevails over Opportunism.
If the Officials had done their job correctly...TCU would not have kicked the FG against Baylor...the Official did not stand over the ball and allow Baylor to substitute...tcu was out of time outs, play would have ended
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:39 pm
If the Officials had done their job correctly...TCU would not have kicked the FG against Baylor...the Official did not stand over the ball and allow Baylor to substitute...tcu was out of time outs, play would have ended
I thought the same thing. But then I later heard that there is a special rule when a team runs out a FG unit on the final play of a game. The defense is given time to make substitutes, but the clock is stopped. When that play happened, I immediately thought, what a massive screw up by the refs.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:43 pm

I thought the same thing. But then I later heard that there is a special rule when a team runs out a FG unit on the final play of a game. The defense is given time to make substitutes, but the clock is stopped. When that play happened, I immediately thought, what a massive screw up by the refs.
a special rule for FG units...what if they were trailing by 5...would the clock have been stopped for a special "passing unit" to come onto the field....I need to see that rule in writing
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Dave breslin
Swell

Certainly well deserved —And that should be for the coordinators too.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:16 pm
a special rule for FG units...what if they were trailing by 5...would the clock have been stopped for a special "passing unit" to come onto the field....I need to see that rule in writing
Nope. Only applies if the FG unit is coming onto the field.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I asked this question on reddit. And there is a special rule that applies in the end of half/game scenario where the refs won't stand over the ball to play and wait. Page 167 of the NCAA rulebook. A ruling: The defense should reasonably expect the offense will attempt a field goal in this situation and should have a field-goal defense unit ready. The umpire will not stand over the ball as there should be no issue of the defense being uncertain about the next play.
And the notion of slipping a "passing unit" is an existing loophole in this rule, as there is nothing saying that the FG unit has to attempt a FG. Many are just waiting for this disconnect to trigger a protest to the NCAA. I would imagine if the team is trailing by 5, the refs probably would stand over the ball and run the clock while the defense substitutes, figuring a loss is a loss, whether by 5 points or 2 points--only the Vegas wagers would be impacted then.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:33 pm

I asked this question on reddit. And there is a special rule that applies in the end of half/game scenario where the refs won't stand over the ball to play and wait. Page 167 of the NCAA rulebook. A ruling: The defense should reasonably expect the offense will attempt a field goal in this situation and should have a field-goal defense unit ready. The umpire will not stand over the ball as there should be no issue of the defense being uncertain about the next play.
And the notion of slipping a "passing unit" is an existing loophole in this rule, as there is nothing saying that the FG unit has to attempt a FG. Many are just waiting for this disconnect to trigger a protest to the NCAA. I would imagine if the team is trailing by 5, the refs probably would stand over the ball and run the clock while the defense substitutes, figuring a loss is a loss, whether by 5 points or 2 points--only the Vegas wagers would be impacted then.
anotha scenerio...temais trailing by 2....the FG team is on...they line up for a FG, the snap is bobbled and the holder runs for a TD...the refs should flag the play for illegal procedure, vacate the TD and the clock be allowed to expire, since the team did not attempt a FG
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:27 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:33 pm
anotha scenerio...temais trailing by 2....the FG team is on...they line up for a FG, the snap is bobbled and the holder runs for a TD...the refs should flag the play for illegal procedure, vacate the TD and the clock be allowed to expire, since the team did not attempt a FG
😂😂 I’m not sure the NCAA rules anticipate that level of incompetence by both the offense and the defense at the same time.
BC Wave
Swell

Still not as bad as a fumble out of the end zone going to the defense even when the defense did not obtain possession of the ball.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:35 pm
The AP number 2 guy
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... coach-year
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Willie cheering on the Pels last night gets recognized.

Ms Benson get this man on court side next time!

Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:55 pm Leadership, humble approach:

https://www.nola.com/sports/rod_walker/ ... 1c0a3.html
Great story poorly told! Fact check for crying out loud Mr. Walker. Among other inaccuracies, he eliminated the first 10 years of Tulane Football (we started playing in 1893, not 1902) and GaTech offered Fritz the job 6 days, not a few weeks before the Green Wave beat UCF in the CCG.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V