Fritz DOESN'T take Georgia Tech job

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:46 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:10 am
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:31 am

Not to mention the Tulsa meltdown a couple years ago.

No, I didn't realize that Tin Cup was filmed in Kingwood. An interesting Tin Cup-related story--my son (young at the time) and I were at a Rockets game years ago, and Kevin Costner was there sitting on the sideline. During the halftime break they introduced Costner, commenting on his Tin Cup role, and he walked out onto the court where they set up literally a cup and gave him a putter and golf ball. He proceeded to put the ball on the court and drilled about a 30' put right into the cup--what are the odds of that? He then autographed two basketballs and threw one into the stands on the other side of the court, and then came over on our side and threw the second ball into the stands. I went into rebound mode and caught the autographed basketball. A lady sitting next to me with two daughters asked if they could hold and look at the ball, so I handed it to her. After looking at the autograph for a few seconds, she turned to me and said, "your son probably doesn't really care if he has a basketball autographed by Kevin Costner, like my daughters do." I responded, "You're probably right, I doubt he does, but his mother and two sisters will sure enjoy having it."
Rebounding !!!...we coulda used ya back in the dey at the Clear Lake Rec center....Ken "Juice" Williams.....Rudy T...Mike Newlin...Calvin Murphy... UH and San Jac players would come out and play....
My brother and I used to scrimmage with many of those guys and Moses at Fonde Rec. My brother was also a drinking buddy of Rudy T's at The Dark Horse. Each summer we'd scrimmage with the UH team at Hofheinz--in fact I blew out my ankle (torn ligaments) on that tartan floor at Hofheinz about two weeks before I started my sophomore year at Tulane--registering in a cast was no fun.
Wow...U did sum playin...U would have enjoyed out Jeff parish mens league team...we had Fabian and Steve Mang, Craig Tolbert, Phil Hicks on the 8 person team... I was on the team to provide comic relief
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:02 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:10 am
Rebounding !!!...we coulda used ya back in the dey at the Clear Lake Rec center....Ken "Juice" Williams.....Rudy T...Mike Newlin...Calvin Murphy... UH and San Jac players would come out and play....
My brother and I used to scrimmage with many of those guys and Moses at Fonde Rec. My brother was also a drinking buddy of Rudy T's at The Dark Horse. Each summer we'd scrimmage with the UH team at Hofheinz--in fact I blew out my ankle (torn ligaments) on that tartan floor at Hofheinz about two weeks before I started my sophomore year at Tulane--registering in a cast was no fun.
Wow...U did sum playin...U would have enjoyed out eff parish mens league team...we had Fabian and Steve Mang, Craig Tolbert, Phil Hicks on the 8 person team... I was on the team to provide comic relief
:lol: That was my primary role as well. I played in men's leagues well into my 40's, often with teams where I was the only player not to play on a D1 team. But my knees are paying the price now.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:06 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:02 pm
Wow...U did sum playin...U would have enjoyed out eff parish mens league team...we had Fabian and Steve Mang, Craig Tolbert, Phil Hicks on the 8 person team... I was on the team to provide comic relief
:lol: That was my primary role as well. I played in men's leagues well into my 40's, often with teams where I was the only player not to play on a D1 team. But my knees are paying the price now.
if ya lived in NOLA, U would have enjoyed being a member of OTMAC, Over the Mountain Athletic Club, really good basketball, softball and flag football leagues
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Let's keep this on topic please.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Wave755
Tsunami

The latest as of an hour ago. GT still looking?

"So the search is still ongoing. This morning, ESPN's Pete Thamel said that there is no imminent decision regarding Georgia Tech's head coaching decision and they are interviewing a new candidate today and multiple coaches coaching in the upcoming championship weekend are still in contention for the head coaching job at Georgia Tech."

https://www.si.com/college/georgiatech/ ... ech-search
Jaxwave
Swell

That means Fritz has accepted and GT has to appear to interview other candidates at Fritz’s request so that he can coach this week.
anEngineer
Riptide

I take it to mean that Fritz did not give them a decision last night that they asked for, so they are willing to keep looking until they determine if he is the best candidate AND is acceptable to alums.

As I reflected on this entire situation, I realized that maybe 7 years is the most you get out of a coach nowadays. How many D1 coaches have that tenure currently? Not many for either being fired or leaving. No one but Navy has that in the AAC. Some have 3 in that span. Maybe this is just the way it works and you just take it as part of D1 football. We finally didn't have to fire one.
Wave755
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:30 pm That means Fritz has accepted and GT has to appear to interview other candidates at Fritz’s request so that he can coach this week.
🤷‍♂️, Could be "Kabuki theatre" for all players, including this week's interviewees? Or, maybe the "money boys" at GT want them to at least talk to some other coaches before making a decision? The GT fan base doesn't want WF.
MicMan
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:09 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:30 pm That means Fritz has accepted and GT has to appear to interview other candidates at Fritz’s request so that he can coach this week.
🤷‍♂️, Could be "Kabuki theatre" for all players, including this week's interviewees? Or, maybe the "money boys" at GT want them to at least talk to some other coaches before making a decision? The GT fan base doesn't want WF.
What fan base?
Wave755
Tsunami

MicMan wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:14 pm
Wave755 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:09 pm
What fan base?
"Georgia Tech Athletics had been using a manual approach to execute its sales process. Given that there are approximately 8,000 football season ticket holders alone, the sales team faced bandwidth and efficiency challenges." 😎

OK, MicMan, a #4, onions & sauce, regular fries and medium diet Coke! 🍔🍟🥤👋
GreenLantern
Riptide

Fritz on Kaare Johnson a few minutes ago. His interview starts at 1:38:00

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:28 pm Fritz on Kaare Johnson a few minutes ago. His interview starts at 1:38:00

Thx.
He tried but no definitive answer. I have a feeling he’s gone just by that last compliment Kaare gave him and his lack of excitement in his response to it. .
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Thanks for posting that, GL.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Greeniegb
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:28 pm Fritz on Kaare Johnson a few minutes ago. His interview starts at 1:38:00

When asked by Kaare if he will take the Georgia Tech job or be at Tulane next year, He said that's what I want to do he loves New Orleans. I take it that if he stays is in Troy's hand for a hefty raise, maybe increase the pool for his assistants and a commitment to seek a power 5 conference. Any other thoughts from the interview?
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane1111
High Tide

The situation at Tech is very challenging….on Saturday they lost to their rival, Georgia and the QB was announcing his transfer on Sunday.

They have approximately 8 mos. to prepare for a horror show of a schedule: first five games: Louisville (one of those early match ups), Bowling Green, @ Ole Miss (we know how difficult that one is), Georgia and @ Clemson…. How is that for a first 5 games?? The rest are traditional ACC games. With UNC and @Miami the next two weeks…… looks like fun :)
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

So much opposition:

Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Wave755
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:50 am
And, might I add, WF has only had 2 Conference winning season in 7 years at Tulane; 2018, 5-3, & 2022, 7-1. And, WF makes 63 on April 2nd. I remain surprised and perplexed 🤔 P5 GT is seriously considering his hire.
Show Me
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:50 am
Love this!!!
It happens though. Andy C was the biggest no brainer hire in Tulane baseball history and we go out an hire Jewett because the AD wants to pick his own coach. The new AD at GT going to want to hire his own man and not an interim HC that was appointed after the house cleaning over there. I’d be shocked if WF isn’t hired at this point.
TURVS71
Swell

Apparently Ga Tech has also gone after the UCF coach!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Bigschtick
Riptide

TURVS71 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:47 am Apparently Ga Tech has also gone after the UCF coach!!
That would certainly make for an interesting twist and downer for UCF players after the crap we have been going thru this week about how the news got out a week before one of our biggest games in history!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
oliveandblue
Surge

TURVS71 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:47 am Apparently Ga Tech has also gone after the UCF coach!!
Is there a source to this?
Show Me
Tsunami

Heard that also. UCF going to the Big 12 might be the only thing keeping him now at UCF.
Dave breslin
Swell

I’ve questioned the move to GT and didn’t see the real upgrade except for the P5 membership. Academic restrictions—so so attendance and so on. But, if this was used to get the pencil necks in Gibson Halls attention so that they will do the physical things needed to compete in D1–well kudos to WF and TD