Fritz DOESN'T take Georgia Tech job

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bowl games aren't exhibitions. They count on your record and they count for the rankings. It's a team sport. The goal of winning the conference championship is so that you can get the NY6 Bowl. That's the ultimate goal. Yeah he likely won't play in the NY6 but many would like to see him play in it especially his teammates who have worked their asses off to accomplish all of that. The Senior Bowl is an exhibition. He can skip it and do private workouts and the combine. But yeah he'll play in it It's a copy cat world.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:50 pm Well, now we know who he was directing his comments to, during his post-Cincy win press conference, when Willie said we could have readily won 7, 8 or 10 games in several of our past seasons if the ball had bounced right. He failed to mention that we didn’t win 7, 8 or 9 games in recent years because of his many head-scratching in-game decisions.
HOUWave...AMEN, not sure about his head scratrching, but his azz scratching cost him maybe 8 to 10 games Tulane should have won, instead of a 6-6 season maybe 8-4....it happened this season against So Miss..lets not go back to the Navy game of a few years ago...sorta like having a 3 foot putt and ya take out the Driver..now that may work for Roy McAvoy, but no the Willie...by the way HouWave...did ya know the US Open scenes for the movie Tin Cup were filmed in Kingwood
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

My gut tells me it's already a done deal, and WF was just hoping to keep it under wraps until after this week. But then it leaked...
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:23 am My gut tells me it's already a done deal, and WF was just hoping to keep it under wraps until after this week. But then it leaked...
Steve, I think you are correct, TD needs to make a few calls, no need for a "nationwide" search...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:17 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:50 pm Well, now we know who he was directing his comments to, during his post-Cincy win press conference, when Willie said we could have readily won 7, 8 or 10 games in several of our past seasons if the ball had bounced right. He failed to mention that we didn’t win 7, 8 or 9 games in recent years because of his many head-scratching in-game decisions.
HOUWave...AMEN, not sure about his head scratrching, but his azz scratching cost him maybe 8 to 10 games Tulane should have won, instead of a 6-6 season maybe 8-4....it happened this season against So Miss..lets not go back to the Navy game of a few years ago...sorta like having a 3 foot putt and ya take out the Driver..now that may work for Roy McAvoy, but no the Willie...by the way HouWave...did ya know the US Open scenes for the movie Tin Cup were filmed in Kingwood
Not to mention the Tulsa meltdown a couple years ago.

No, I didn't realize that Tin Cup was filmed in Kingwood. An interesting Tin Cup-related story--my son (young at the time) and I were at a Rockets game years ago, and Kevin Costner was there sitting on the sideline. During the halftime break they introduced Costner, commenting on his Tin Cup role, and he walked out onto the court where they set up literally a cup and gave him a putter and golf ball. He proceeded to put the ball on the court and drilled about a 30' put right into the cup--what are the odds of that? He then autographed two basketballs and threw one into the stands on the other side of the court, and then came over on our side and threw the second ball into the stands. I went into rebound mode and caught the autographed basketball. A lady sitting next to me with two daughters asked if they could hold and look at the ball, so I handed it to her. After looking at the autograph for a few seconds, she turned to me and said, "your son probably doesn't really care if he has a basketball autographed by Kevin Costner, like my daughters do." I responded, "You're probably right, I doubt he does, but his mother and two sisters will sure enjoy having it."
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
greenie78
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:28 am
NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:23 am My gut tells me it's already a done deal, and WF was just hoping to keep it under wraps until after this week. But then it leaked...
Steve, I think you are correct, TD needs to make a few calls, no need for a "nationwide" search...
I'm waiting for the "search firm" to come into play soon :lol:
HoustonWave
Tsunami

The trend for NFL candidates not playing in "giveashit bowls" is already well established. But the opportunity to play in a NY6 Bowl is a once in a lifetime event. I have to believe that everyone will play in a Cotton Bowl. But the trend screams for further expansion of the CFP.
Wave755
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:36 am
Please, just keep Sam Scelfo off of any search committee!!! Rumor has it Chris Scelfo has a lot of "free time on his hands" these days? ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Scelfo
BC Wave
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:06 am
greenie78 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:36 am
Please, just keep Sam Scelfo off of any search committee!!! Rumor has it Chris Scelfo has a lot of "free time on his hands" these days? ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Scelfo
We have a winner!!!
GCLlives
Ripple

Not sure if this has been posted yet...

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech ... ZSL4ZSL5Q/
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:54 am The trend for NFL candidates not playing in "giveashit bowls" is already well established. But the opportunity to play in a NY6 Bowl is a once in a lifetime event. I have to believe that everyone will play in a Cotton Bowl. But the trend screams for further expansion of the CFP.
BS.

Players have opted out of the bowl games that were part of the playoffs. IF we beat UCF, I'm sure our opponent will have players opt out. It's a once in a lifetime event for a program like ours, not for the football factories that participate regularly and are mostly disappointed to not be in the ESPN tournament.

I hope Spears plays, and gets the experience of playing in such a big game. Lord knows there are no guarantees for life after college. But I wouldn't fault him for skipping the game. Nor would it shock me if he opted-out of the Senior Bowl. Though I do think the Senior Bowl is a better showcase (it's really a week-long center stage in front of scouts and NFL coaching staffs) than ANY bowl game. Forte raised his draft status with the week he spent in Mobile. (Yes, I know the time he spent at IMG, or wherever he went to prep for the Combine was also critical.)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:31 am

No, I didn't realize that Tin Cup was filmed in Kingwood. An interesting Tin Cup-related story--my son (young at the time) and I were at a Rockets game years ago, and Kevin Costner was there sitting on the sideline. During the halftime break they introduced Costner, commenting on his Tin Cup role, and he walked out onto the court where they set up literally a cup and gave him a putter and golf ball. He proceeded to put the ball on the court and drilled about a 30' put right into the cup--what are the odds of that? He then autographed two basketballs and threw one into the stands on the other side of the court, and then came over on our side and threw the second ball into the stands. I went into rebound mode and caught the autographed basketball. A lady sitting next to me with two daughters asked if they could hold and look at the ball, so I handed it to her. After looking at the autograph for a few seconds, she turned to me and said, "your son probably doesn't really care if he has a basketball autographed by Kevin Costner, like my daughters do." I responded, "You're probably right, I doubt he does, but his mother and two sisters will sure enjoy having it."
Rebounding !!!...we coulda used ya back in the dey at the Clear Lake Rec center....Ken "Juice" Williams.....Rudy T...Mike Newlin...Calvin Murphy... UH and San Jac players would come out and play....
Wave755
Tsunami

GCLlives wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:00 am Not sure if this has been posted yet...

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech ... ZSL4ZSL5Q/
Yep, and the article last updated 13 hours ago. Let's see if GT interviews anybody else in a day or two? And, yes, the GT fan base is understandably in revolt; after all, WF was 2-10 last year & this season is only his second conference winning record in 7 years at Tulane.

For many GT fans it appears the "Bumbling Wreck from Georgia Tech" is at it again!
GCLlives
Ripple

Unfortunately, he seems very close to leaving now https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEB ... id=US%3Aen
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

GCLlives wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:49 am Unfortunately, he seems very close to leaving now https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEB ... id=US%3Aen
None of what you are posting is new or not already known. Those articles are just summarizing what's already out there. FYI.
Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Wave755
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:55 am
GCLlives wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:49 am Unfortunately, he seems very close to leaving now https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEB ... id=US%3Aen
None of what you are posting is new or not already known. Those articles are just summarizing what's already out there. FYI.
And, I believe "Jackets are trying to get a deal done today with Tulane coach Willie Fritz, according to program source. The sides are haggling over term/guarantee, not salary" meant yesterday, Sunday, not today.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Old from yesterday
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:03 am
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:54 am The trend for NFL candidates not playing in "giveashit bowls" is already well established. But the opportunity to play in a NY6 Bowl is a once in a lifetime event. I have to believe that everyone will play in a Cotton Bowl. But the trend screams for further expansion of the CFP.
BS.

Players have opted out of the bowl games that were part of the playoffs. IF we beat UCF, I'm sure our opponent will have players opt out. It's a once in a lifetime event for a program like ours, not for the football factories that participate regularly and are mostly disappointed to not be in the ESPN tournament.

I hope Spears plays, and gets the experience of playing in such a big game. Lord knows there are no guarantees for life after college. But I wouldn't fault him for skipping the game. Nor would it shock me if he opted-out of the Senior Bowl. Though I do think the Senior Bowl is a better showcase (it's really a week-long center stage in front of scouts and NFL coaching staffs) than ANY bowl game. Forte raised his draft status with the week he spent in Mobile. (Yes, I know the time he spent at IMG, or wherever he went to prep for the Combine was also critical.)
I'm talking primarily about Tulane players--it's definitely a lifetime opportunity for them, if not for football factory players. As far as CFP games who has opted out in the past?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:03 am
BS.

I'm talking about Tulane players when I say a lifetime opportunity. I could care less who plays or not for our opponent. As far as CFP games, who has opted out in the past?
TURVS71
Swell

clus·ter·fuck
/ˈkləstərˌfək/
nounVULGAR SLANG•US
noun: clusterfuck; plural noun: clusterfucks; noun: cluster-fuck; plural noun: cluster-fucks

a disastrously mishandled situation or undertaking. or Operations of the Tulane University Athletic Department
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

💯 gone after Saturday.
Roll Wave!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:10 am
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:31 am

Rebounding !!!...we coulda used ya back in the dey at the Clear Lake Rec center....Ken "Juice" Williams.....Rudy T...Mike Newlin...Calvin Murphy... UH and San Jac players would come out and play....
My brother and I used to scrimmage with many of those guys and Moses at Fonde Rec. My brother was also a drinking buddy of Rudy T's at The Dark Horse. Each summer we'd scrimmage with the UH team at Hofheinz--in fact I blew out my ankle (torn ligaments) on that tartan floor at Hofheinz about two weeks before I started my sophomore year at Tulane--registering in a cast was no fun.