Conference championship (correct me if i'm wrong)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
austxwave
High Tide

Tulane wins at Cincinnati, Tulane hosts conference championship.

UCF beats USF then they advance to visit Tulane for conference championship. UCF loses to USF then Cincinnati visits Tulane for conference championship.

Tulane loses at Cincinnati (Tulane with two conference losses), visits Cincinnati (if UCF loses) for conference championship. We would hold head to head against UCF and Houston.
Last edited by austxwave on Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

austxwave wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:39 pm Tulane wins at Cincinnati, Tulane hosts conference championship.

UCF beats USF then they advance to visit Tulane for conference championship. UCF loses to USF then Cincinnati visits Tulane for conference championship.

Tulane loses at Cincinnati (Tulane with two conference losses), visits Cincinnati for conference championship. We would hold head to head against UCF and Houston.
I’m assuming UCF will beat USF but
we lost to UCF so I don’t see how we hold that head to head
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Ruski
Swell

We need to win. As much as I want USF to win the final rivalry game as UCF leaves the conference, it's not gonna happen.

We need to win. Period.
austxwave
High Tide

tpstulane wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:42 pm
austxwave wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:39 pm Tulane wins at Cincinnati, Tulane hosts conference championship.

Tulane loses at Cincinnati (Tulane with two conference losses), visits Cincinnati for conference championship. We would hold head to head against UCF and Houston.
We lost to UCF we don’t hold that head to head
I had to edit (I left out the part of UCF losing to USF which in that scenario we would advance)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

austxwave wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:43 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:42 pm

We lost to UCF we don’t hold that head to head
I had to edit (I left out the part of UCF losing to USF which in that scenario we would advance)
Yes. That would be a longshot. We really need to win our game and not count on anyone else.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Win and we host. Thats all we need to know. 1-0 this week.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:48 pm Win and we host. Thats all we need to know. 1-0 this week.
Tulane beats cincy Tulane hosts, becasue they only have one conference loss, UCF will have two conference loses...I may be wrong, but the AAC system is the two highest ranked teams within the conference, play for the Championship, not how the bcs, ap, upi. espn or coaches have them ranked
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

Actually, ranking in the CFP DOES matter.:

The way I see it at this point, if we end up beating Cincinnati: There's a potential three-way tie for second. Since the CCG is the following week, you have to go to section 7.5 for the tiebreaking procedure. This weeks upcoming CFP rankings will determine the opponent. Since UCF lost, I'd have to think CIN would be ranked and UCF maybe not at all. But 7.5.1 says that team needs to have won their game, and CIN would have lost. So then they go to 7.5.2 and they use a composite ranking to see who of CIN, UCF and HTN would be our opponent.

If we were to lose to CIN, CIN would host, and we'd be in the three way tie with UCF and HTN. Since no one would have beaten both teams, we'd go to 7.5.1. We would have been the highest ranked team, but we would have lost, so it goes to 7.5.2, which goes back to that composite ranking. Which could mean, since we've been ranked higher than all those teams and a loss to CIN wouldn't be a bad loss, we could possibly still end up being the visiting team in the CCG which would be hosted by CIN. (Note: at this time all 4 of the rankings used in the composite have UCF ahead of us, but thats before a loss to Navy. Houston isn't close in any of them, so is realistically out of the running).

Confusing, I know.

https://theamerican.org/documents/2020/ ... proved.pdf

7.1. If more than two teams tie for first or second place, the tiebreaker procedures will be applied separately to
identify the two participants in the championship game.
7.2. If only two teams remain tied after any step in the tiebreaking process, the two-team tie procedures shall
be used to break the tie.
7.3. The Conference records of the tied teams are compared in a mini round-robin format. If, within the mini
round-robin, any of the tied teams did not play each other, the group of teams shall remain tied, unless
one team defeated all other tied teams.
7.4. The team that has the highest College Football Playoff Selection Committee Rankings (CFP) shall be a
Championship Game participant: The latest available CFP Rankings will be used to break ties (see Item 5). If
a team or teams lose in the final weekend of the Conference season to create a tie and there are
subsequent CFP rankings, those rankings will be used to break ties.
7.5. If the regular season ends and the Championship Game is scheduled for the next Saturday, then the
following tiebreaker procedures will be used;

7.5.1.If the highest-ranked of the tied teams in the latest available CFP Selection Committee rankings wins
in the final weekend of regular season Conference play, it will be declared a Championship Game
participant.
7.5.2.If the highest-ranked of the tied teams in the latest available CFP Selection Committee rankings
loses in the final weekend of regular season Conference play, then a composite average of selected
computer rankings (Anderson & Hester, Billingsley, Colley and Wolfe) will be used to determine the
Championship Game participants;
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
IM42lane
Swell

This sounds like something that the Tulane Law school must figure out.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

In simple terms
If we and UH both lose it will be UC vs UCF (assuming UCF beats USF)

If we lose and UH and UCF win and it’s a 3 way tie we go to the title game but on the road vs UC.

If we win of course we host.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:41 pm In simple terms

If we lose and UH and UCF win and it’s a 3 way tie we go to the title game but on the road vs UC.

I like your participation criteria better than Robert’s. If you are correct, and both UH and UCF win, then we’re in the CCG (even if we should lose to Cincy)? There’s a very good chance that both UH and UCF win their games against Tulsa and USF, respectively.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:15 pm

I like your participation criteria better than Robert’s. If you are correct, and both UH and UCF win, then we’re in the CCG (even if we should lose to Cincy)? There’s a very good chance that both UH and UCF win their games against Tulsa and USF, respectively.
Yes. And Cincy starting QB just left the game with a right leg injury hasn’t returned.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

1-0 on Black Friday and we host.

1-0 on Thanksgiving weekend. That's all we need to know. That's all we need to go.

1-0.

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's simple: WIN!!!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

So Houston winning next week to create a 3 way tie (assuming we lose) actually gets us in?

So if the three way tie for second ends up being UC, UCF and Htn, who would we host in the CCG? I'm thinking UCF?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:49 pm

So Houston winning next week to create a 3 way tie (assuming we lose) actually gets us in?

So if the three way tie for second ends up being UC, UCF and Htn, who would we host in the CCG? I'm thinking UCF?
Yes Yes
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:30 pm

Yes. And Cincy starting QB just left the game with a right leg injury hasn’t returned.
I would have rather faced him tbh since the backup is a highly recruited athletic QB. I haven't been impressed with the starter all season. But I think the Wave will be ready regardless.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:57 pm

I would have rather faced him tbh since the backup is a highly recruited athletic QB. I haven't been impressed with the starter all season. But I think the Wave will be ready regardless.
Problem maybe we have to prepare for both now.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:15 pm
greenie78 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:57 pm
Problem maybe we have to prepare for both now.
Yes. I didn't see their game today, but from the stats it seems the backup is more mobile.
BC Wave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:49 pm

If the three way tie for second ends up being UC, UCF and UH, that means WE are first and WE would host.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Exactly. That's why the question was, who would WE host in the CCG?
Dave breslin
Swell

Again—JUST WIN
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dave breslin wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:54 pm Again—JUST WIN
Yep. Simple as that.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I would not want to play UH again they seem like they are playing much better. Outside of that crazy loss to SMU they have been looking pretty good.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We're playing much better with a first string QB. :mrgreen: