From Rummah Control, Gonzaga

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:23 pm talkin' about going to the big12
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... conference
That’s pretty bizarre. I wonder if Yormark isn’t trying to pressure some PAC 12 leftovers like Oregon and Washington by suggesting that “we’re moving into your neighborhood.” If they were to actually bring Gonzaga into the Big 12, does that portend any football only members?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:17 pm
That’s pretty bizarre. I wonder if Yormark isn’t trying to pressure some PAC 12 leftovers like Oregon and Washington by suggesting that “we’re moving into your neighborhood.” If they were to actually bring Gonzaga into the Big 12, does that portend any football only members?
This move is about a bizzare as the AAC adding football-less Wichita State
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Other than the writer's suggestion, there's nothing out there that said the Big 12 is actively courting Gonzaga. They met and had discussions not far from the Big 12 offices. I'd be shocked if the Big 12 took a basketball-only member, particularly one that is so far off the beaten path. Spokane is not an easy destination, has no travel partner nearby, and doesn't add a huge TV market. All Gonzaga brings is a basketball legacy that few outside of the P5's offer. Maybe I'm whistling past the graveyard, but I think Gonzaga is jumping for the alley-oop and the Big 12 is going to throw the ball elsewhere, if at all.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:42 am Other than the writer's suggestion, there's nothing out there that said the Big 12 is actively courting Gonzaga. They met and had discussions not far from the Big 12 offices. I'd be shocked if the Big 12 took a basketball-only member, particularly one that is so far off the beaten path. Spokane is not an easy destination, has no travel partner nearby, and doesn't add a huge TV market. All Gonzaga brings is a basketball legacy that few outside of the P5's offer. Maybe I'm whistling past the graveyard, but I think Gonzaga is jumping for the alley-oop and the Big 12 is going to throw the ball elsewhere, if at all.
Played Golf in lovely Spokane, and across the river in Coeur D' Alene Idaho with Mark Rypien...city is beautiful, but ya gotta connect in either Salt Lake or Denver comin from Big12 country...the pac12 after the defections may be a landing spot for the zags....just an fyi the Big12 and the AAC offices area about a Driver, 3wood and PW away from each other as the crow flies
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:38 am
Except the AAC already had a football-only school and wanted to balance the then-divisions in basketball and baseball. Big 12 would be unbalancing with a school like Gonzaga.
Ruski
Swell

Wichita to AAC made total sense.

1. In the footprint
2. Paired up with Navy to bring balance
3. Appease basketball schools at the time UCONN, Cincy, SMU, Memphis, Temple
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:54 pm

1. In the footprint
to me, you are either an all sport school, or you do not get an invite...Navy was a terrible choice
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:35 pm

1. In the footprint
to me, you are either an all sport school, or you do not get an invite...Navy was a terrible choice
I agree Golf—these part time conference participants are bogus. And that’s true for Navy. I don’t recall what our options were when we courted Navy, but I have to believe there were better options.
anEngineer
Riptide

That's a lot of what made the Big East blow up and create the AAC. There were too many teams with different priorities and something finally had to give (when we joined). Even though it's not a money sport, I think lack of baseball hurts SMU in getting a P5 offer.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:16 pm That's a lot of what made the Big East blow up and create the AAC. There were too many teams with different priorities and something finally had to give (when we joined). Even though it's not a money sport, I think lack of baseball hurts SMU in getting a P5 offer.
Especially a Big 12 offer, which is a big baseball conference. The lack of baseball could also hurt any chance that Colorado State might have for a Big 12 invite.
greenie78
Riptide

Never realized SMU didn't have baseball.

I agree about Wichita and Navy's conference standing. Pointless at this point.

Also, UNT doesn't make a whole lotta sense either since the AAC already has SMU in the region. I would have been fine with UTSA and UAB joining. I can live with Rice, Charlotte, and FAU as well, but UNT was egregious.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:53 am Never realized SMU didn't have baseball.

Also, UNT doesn't make a whole lotta sense either since the AAC already has SMU in the region. I would have been fine with UTSA and UAB joining. I can live with Rice, Charlotte, and FAU as well, but UNT was egregious.
I agree, UNT was a reach, and I have no issues with UAB and UTSA, the others got an invite becasue of the TV markets.. I did watch some of the Rice- UTEP game last nite, they seem very well coached and have some speed
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:38 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:35 pm

1. In the footprint
I agree Golf—these part time conference participants are bogus. And that’s true for Navy. I don’t recall what our options were when we courted Navy, but I have to believe there were better options.
The service academies do well ratings-wise, particularly Army and Navy.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Out of who we added I'd have preferred UTSA and UAB and have a ten team conference where everybody plays all the other conference teams.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell

greenie78 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:53 am Never realized SMU didn't have baseball.

Taking 6 was a preemptive move for losing 2 more (Memphis/SMU) to Big12 and blocking MWC from entering Texas. I don't like the move but the logic was supposedly there. And supposedly ESPN wouldn't let us take Marshall / App St.