Southern Miss Score Prediction Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12670
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline



Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21154
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thanks for the link golf.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Let's enjoy our last season in D-1!!!
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 8360
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

I didn't say it was ALL Ida. But you cant ignore that was a factor. A team that gets too full of itself and drops 3-4 in a row loses that "full of itself" attitude pretty quickly. It doesn't carry through the entire season. There doesn't have to be one single factor that contributed to 2-10. It was a lot of things: coaching, attitude, the storm, etc.

Not an excuse, a reason.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21154
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:03 am I didn't say it was ALL Ida. But you cant ignore that was a factor. A team that gets too full of itself and drops 3-4 in a row loses that "full of itself" attitude pretty quickly. It doesn't carry through the entire season. There doesn't have to be one single factor that contributed to 2-10. It was a lot of things: coaching, attitude, the storm, etc.

Not an excuse, a reason.
Spears said it very late in the season. So he believed it was the dominant reason for the collapse and it fits what Tulane has done in the past when it felt it turned the corner.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Let's enjoy our last season in D-1!!!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12670
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11111
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

I do agree that Ida and the conference falling apart while they were displaced in Birmingham played a huge part in last season's debacle. But I'm still somewhat skeptical as conference play hasn't begun. This is a big game, but so is every week from here on out. My confidence will grow if we're still dreaming about the conference championship game a month from now.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 8360
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:32 am
RobertM320 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:03 am I didn't say it was ALL Ida. But you cant ignore that was a factor. A team that gets too full of itself and drops 3-4 in a row loses that "full of itself" attitude pretty quickly. It doesn't carry through the entire season. There doesn't have to be one single factor that contributed to 2-10. It was a lot of things: coaching, attitude, the storm, etc.

Not an excuse, a reason.
Spears said it very late in the season. So he believed it was the dominant reason for the collapse and it fits what Tulane has done in the past when it felt it turned the corner.
I heard what he said. That's ONE opinion. Could just be he's a stand up type of guy who doesn't want to fall back on excuses like a hurricane. You don't know how the other 80+ players felt, or the players and coaches with families, etc. One of the biggest factors in success is stability and continuity. Damn, you have this major obsession of trying to be right ALL THE TIME. Yes, they got full of themselves. But ALSO YES, the change in routine due to the hurricane was a factor as well. I'd bet at least some players had family homes damaged enough that the family needed to move out. Stop dismissing these things as not ALSO playing a role in the season.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21154
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:48 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:32 am
RobertM320 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:03 am I didn't say it was ALL Ida. But you cant ignore that was a factor. A team that gets too full of itself and drops 3-4 in a row loses that "full of itself" attitude pretty quickly. It doesn't carry through the entire season. There doesn't have to be one single factor that contributed to 2-10. It was a lot of things: coaching, attitude, the storm, etc.

Not an excuse, a reason.
Spears said it very late in the season. So he believed it was the dominant reason for the collapse and it fits what Tulane has done in the past when it felt it turned the corner.
I heard what he said. That's ONE opinion. Could just be he's a stand up type of guy who doesn't want to fall back on excuses like a hurricane. You don't know how the other 80+ players felt, or the players and coaches with families, etc. One of the biggest factors in success is stability and continuity. Damn, you have this major obsession of trying to be right ALL THE TIME. Yes, they got full of themselves. But ALSO YES, the change in routine due to the hurricane was a factor as well. I'd bet at least some players had family homes damaged enough that the family needed to move out. Stop dismissing these things as not ALSO playing a role in the season.
LOl. It's not about not wanting to fall back on excuses. He's a team leader. The players acknowledge that. He could easily hide behind the excuse and let himself and his teammates off but instead he tells it like it is. Like I said Tulane's history in these situations backs up what he said. Then there's the fact that Fritz fired 6 coaches and replaced them. But in typical Tulane fashion you want to bury your head and ignore the obvious. Yet you wonder why Tulane is a loser. :roll:
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Let's enjoy our last season in D-1!!!
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 8360
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Reading comprehension is your friend, win. I CLEARLY stated the obvious, while A:LSO acknowledging there were other factors. You're the one who's refusing to acknowledge ANY of it except "they got full of themselves". Keep living in your fantasy world.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21154
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

That tin foil hat blocks your brain waves. I didn't say it was the only reason. I do think it was the major reason. As I said above a team leader spit it out and based on Tulane's history it fit like a glove. Pay attention. Willie and his staff were doing a very poor job of coaching last year. So Willie knew in year 6 at his age he was coaching not just for his job but for his career. So what does he do. First he came with the academic card and many gullibles bough that. For the others he then added on Ida. After the season did he hold on to all those coaches because it wasn't their fault? No he cleaned house because he knew no one was going to keep buying excuses in year 7.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Let's enjoy our last season in D-1!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11111
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

winwave has dismissed the hurricane and collapse of the AAC while the players were displaced in Birmingham as any factor in last year's dumpster fire season. He won't even let someone comment that they believe those two things were significant. Coach Fritz told us after the Ole Miss game that he made a big mistake inviting all of the athletes in Birmingham to join the team on the road trip to Oxford. When we had a 90 minute rain delay before the start of the game, more 130 people, players and coaches were crammed into a steamy hot and humid room designed to be a locker room for 50-60 (it's really too small but they screw the visiting team) while Ole Miss was staying loose in their IPF.

That game was the anchor that lead the team to the deep depths of a 2-10 season. IMHO it was all about going from thinking positive thoughts about themselves to questioning everything. Hampton's D was under fire, the conference was falling apart, their team wasn't invited to the party, they were still a couple of weeks from returning to New Orleans and they got the snot kicked out of them.

I do appreciate that in spite of all that happened the rest of the season, very few players abandoned ship via the transfer portal. This team seems very tightly knit. Kudos to Fritz for making changes, and likewise to the players for their determination to turn it around. Let's take it one game at a time, take care of the Golden Eagles today and then focus on Houston. Save any talk about Conference Championships until we've played a few games because right now we're 0-0 in conference, in a 9 team tie for second place in the AAC. We have 9 total and 8 conference games to play.

Roll Wave!
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21154
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

I didn't dismiss the hurricane I just said it wasn't the major factor. Spears confirmed that but you and others want to ignore that. As for the AAC collapse issue no one from the team ever suggested that was a reason. That was something created here.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Let's enjoy our last season in D-1!!!
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 8360
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:20 am I didn't dismiss the hurricane I just said it wasn't the major factor. Spears confirmed that but you and others want to ignore that. As for the AAC collapse issue no one from the team ever suggested that was a reason. That was something created here.
And I NEVER SAID the hurricane was THE major factor, either. I said it was ONE OF the factors. Now you've backtracked and you're admitting that the hurricane was A factor, which is what I said from the beginning. Its over, win. You lost.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 4439
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:02 am
winwave wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:20 am I didn't dismiss the hurricane I just said it wasn't the major factor. Spears confirmed that but you and others want to ignore that. As for the AAC collapse issue no one from the team ever suggested that was a reason. That was something created here.
And I NEVER SAID the hurricane was THE major factor, either. I said it was ONE OF the factors. Now you've backtracked and you're admitting that the hurricane was A factor, which is what I said from the beginning. Its over, win. You lost.
Imagine having to move your home opener the last minute to Oklahoma at the opposing teams stadium. I can believe had we hosted them here we could have possibly pulled an upset and who knows what that would have meant. After weeks being away from campus the players finally came home to their dorms only to find they had all been looted of personal belongings. Imagine when you were they age and someone stole you most prized possessions (watches, laptops, jewelry, shoes etc). That probably was a huge distraction during the season. Anyway last season is history. Time to look forward to a great 2022.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21154
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:02 am
winwave wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:20 am I didn't dismiss the hurricane I just said it wasn't the major factor. Spears confirmed that but you and others want to ignore that. As for the AAC collapse issue no one from the team ever suggested that was a reason. That was something created here.
And I NEVER SAID the hurricane was THE major factor, either. I said it was ONE OF the factors. Now you've backtracked and you're admitting that the hurricane was A factor, which is what I said from the beginning. Its over, win. You lost.
Now you've backtracked. I'm the winner and still champion!!! LOL.
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Let's enjoy our last season in D-1!!!
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 8360
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:31 am
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:02 am
winwave wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:20 am I didn't dismiss the hurricane I just said it wasn't the major factor. Spears confirmed that but you and others want to ignore that. As for the AAC collapse issue no one from the team ever suggested that was a reason. That was something created here.
And I NEVER SAID the hurricane was THE major factor, either. I said it was ONE OF the factors. Now you've backtracked and you're admitting that the hurricane was A factor, which is what I said from the beginning. Its over, win. You lost.
Now you've backtracked. I'm the winner and still champion!!! LOL.
Answer me this: if there had been no Ida, and no displacement of the entire athletic dept for a month, would we still have finished 2-10? No.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21154
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

We'll never know. Six new coaches later and were on to GAMEDAY Baby!!!
Small time facilities for small time programs.
Let's enjoy our last season in D-1!!!
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 5722
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:12 am winwave has dismissed the hurricane and collapse of the AAC while the players were displaced in Birmingham as any factor in last year's dumpster fire season. He won't even let someone comment that they believe those two things were significant. Coach Fritz told us after the Ole Miss game that he made a big mistake inviting all of the athletes in Birmingham to join the team on the road trip to Oxford. When we had a 90 minute rain delay before the start of the game, more 130 people, players and coaches were crammed into a steamy hot and humid room designed to be a locker room for 50-60 (it's really too small but they screw the visiting team) while Ole Miss was staying loose in their IPF.

That game was the anchor that lead the team to the deep depths of a 2-10 season. IMHO it was all about going from thinking positive thoughts about themselves to questioning everything. Hampton's D was under fire, the conference was falling apart, their team wasn't invited to the party, they were still a couple of weeks from returning to New Orleans and they got the snot kicked out of them.

I do appreciate that in spite of all that happened the rest of the season, very few players abandoned ship via the transfer portal. This team seems very tightly knit. Kudos to Fritz for making changes, and likewise to the players for their determination to turn it around. Let's take it one game at a time, take care of the Golden Eagles today and then focus on Houston. Save any talk about Conference Championships until we've played a few games because right now we're 0-0 in conference, in a 9 team tie for second place in the AAC. We have 9 total and 8 conference games to play.

Roll Wave!
D, that's a good summary of how bad the first month of last season was. I had forgotten about the conference falling apart at the same time. I would also offer up one more disaster that befell us starting last season--Chip Long. We just didn't realize how bad he was until about mid-season. Hurricane Chip has now struck Georgia Tech.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11111
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Good point, heh heh hurricane Chip! I got the impression he was not well-liked by the players.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Jaxwave
Swell
Posts: 1930
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm
Status: Offline

GCLlives wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:52 pm I know a lot of us have become jaded (and for good reason) by so many years of false hype, underwhelming results, etc, but I'm gonna stay excited until we lose. This conference is weaker than ever. We have a real chance to get ranked if we win the next 3-4 games.
sorry GC
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 4439
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Show Me wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:55 pm White knuckler
Tulane 27
USM 24
I got Tulane’d. Fell for it again.
Sad thing is I wanted to pick USM but fell for Kansas St win. I forgot we are still Tulane because this was the “show me” you’ve arrived game. It’s was the biggest legitimate crowd in the Willie Fritz era and all those new fans won’t be back. This was the “turn the corner game”. not Kansas St. We sat on our ass after going up 14-0. Reminded me so much of the Navy game debacle. Well guys there will never be a better setup winnable game in our lifetime to witness like this. Some horrible coaching decisions also in the 3rd Qtr. Still up 17-10 we never should have tried the long FG that missed wide left. Odds were better making a 4th and 5. When we had the other FG blocked there was no blocking we almost had two PAT’s blocked earlier. by that same corner guy coming untouched. Yet this wasn’t corrected. The other special teams blunder the blocked punt before half gave them a cheap FG. The margin we lost by. So take those 3 plays and just be avg and we win the game 27-24. But then again we are Tulane and this is how it goes.
Post Reply