USM Game Thread- TULANED AGAIN!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
MicMan
Swell

When a HC shows you who he is, year after year, believe him.

Wave755
Tsunami

For T-P sports coverage Tulane 🏈 now goes back to a few pages after the Archbishop Rummel High School team.
Jaxwave
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:55 pm For T-P sports coverage Tulane 🏈 now goes back to a few pages after the Archbishop Rummel High School team.
And should with no more clicks on their articles after tonight. Tulane football is irrelevant. Think UNO basketball.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
anEngineer
Riptide

I thought the turning point of the game was Pratt holding the ball ENTIRELY too long in the 3rd and taking a critical 8 yd sack on 2nd down to kill a drive and lead to the missed fg. USM grabbed that momentum and never let go. It was very disappointing for a player as experienced as Pratt.

I continue to feel the transfer portal has made college football where anyone can beat anyone on any given day.
anEngineer
Riptide

NOLABigSteve wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:10 pm
Special teams horror. They will get more punts blocked if Glover keeps taking so long to get it off. He is really slow and USM picked up on it.
Eaglewave
Swell

This one hurts. Unbelievable lost!
Ball Sumrall!
Jaxwave
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:19 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:10 pm
Special teams horror. They will get more punts blocked if Glover keeps taking so long to get it off. He is really slow and USM picked up on it.
Why hasn’t Tulane coaches?
Greeniegb
Swell

Just a watch out as season progresses. We handled Kansas St. OL and DL easy because they were small. Southern Miss had the biggest lines this season. See if this trend continues if we can't handle big linemen of other teams. We did Alcorn St. because they did not have a good QB and RB.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We lost because USM wanted the game a whole lot more than we did. Down 14-0 they kept fighting, and the emotion from the coaches through the players was MUCH MUCH MUCH higher than ours. This was, as someone else dubbed, USM's Super Bowl. They wanted, they took it, and we stood on the sidelines telling ourselves we'll get back at it next possession, then the next, then the next. We never came close to matching their intensity after the first quarter. Again, a Fritz team that didn't come close to playing a complete game.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
sslatten
Low Tide

What a huge disappointment, this is one of those games that leaves you scratching your head. 2 to 1 yardage and first down advantage, 13 minute TOP advantage; but missed/blocked FG/punt & dropped passes will seal your fate every time. Our play calling, especially in 2nd half, left a lot to be desired. While i admire his grit, Pratt is just not a very good pocket QB. Holds ball too long (or takes off running too early), doesn't follow progressions (had some very wide open WR & RB last night that were not even looked at) and rarely hits receivers in stride or in the numbers. Is Ibieta any better, i have no idea? Our defense is good enough to win a lot of games (look at what K St has done to everyone they have played with exception of TU) and gave us every opportunity last night (although the lack of forcing TO's is a little perplexing). Special teams did us in tonight, plain and simple. Its maddening that in every chance TU had to prove we have arrived and build our fan base under WF, we lay eggs such as this. I was worried this would happen, and it did, in front of our best crowd in years.

Hopefully this staff and team will respond to this loss and come out Friday night and take care of Houston. We do that, and are sitting at 4-1, and I'll feel a lot better about our chances for a successful year.
wave97
Swell

greenie78 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:19 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:06 pm Beaten by a 1-2 Sunbelt team.
The Sun Belt will be the best G5 conference by a mile after this season.
Absolutely no doubt. That was true before this game. The MAC has outperformed the AAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

It really is a shame because it seemed like the students were actively engaged in this one enough to stay past halftime. Imagine if we had won last night, and then beaten Houston. You know they would have shown even more if we were 5-0.

But I guess if we get a mea culpa from Spears that they were "full of themselves" after K-State will make it all better.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

sslatten wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:13 am What a huge disappointment, this is one of those games that leaves you scratching your head. 2 to 1 yardage and first down advantage, 13 minute TOP advantage; but missed/blocked FG/punt & dropped passes will seal your fate every time. Our play calling, especially in 2nd half, left a lot to be desired. While i admire his grit, Pratt is just not a very good pocket QB. Holds ball too long (or takes off running too early), doesn't follow progressions (had some very wide open WR & RB last night that were not even looked at) and rarely hits receivers in stride or in the numbers. Is Ibieta any better, i have no idea? Our defense is good enough to win a lot of games (look at what K St has done to everyone they have played with exception of TU) and gave us every opportunity last night (although the lack of forcing TO's is a little perplexing). Special teams did us in tonight, plain and simple. Its maddening that in every chance TU had to prove we have arrived and build our fan base under WF, we lay eggs such as this. I was worried this would happen, and it did, in front of our best crowd in years.

Hopefully this staff and team will respond to this loss and come out Friday night and take care of Houston. We do that, and are sitting at 4-1, and I'll feel a lot better about our chances for a successful year.
+1, USM had 59 yards rushing, 2.2 yards per rush, yet they still won the game?
msdos
Swell

What I don’t understand is everyone’s confusion on why we lost

Hire a JV coach, get JV results

It’s that simple
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:44 am It really is a shame because it seemed like the students were actively engaged in this one enough to stay past halftime. Imagine if we had won last night, and then beaten Houston. You know they would have shown even more if we were 5-0.

But I guess if we get a mea culpa from Spears that they were "full of themselves" after K-State will make it all better.
They had to stay to the end to be eligible to win the Apple Air Mac Pro computer they were giving away to the lucky winner.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Former LSU HC Ed O was on our sidelines last night.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

Like for the Navy game in 2020, last night was yet another opportunity to “reintroduce” Tulane football to the greater New Orleans sports community and yet again WF laid an egg.
🥚
greenie78
Riptide

Ibieta should get some reps in practice this week.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:05 am Ibieta should get some reps in practice this week.
Absolutely. Pratt looked like Jameis Winston last night. Too many unnecessary sacks.
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:12 am
greenie78 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:05 am Ibieta should get some reps in practice this week.
Absolutely. Pratt looked like Jameis Winston last night. Too many unnecessary sacks.
Yeah he looks like a beat-up QB who's not processing things quickly and either looking to run or holding on until someone is completely wide open. A lot of it is not his fault. He hasn't had good coaching and he's taken a ton of punishment. He got Tulane'd!
Bigschtick
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:14 pm I thought the turning point of the game was Pratt holding the ball ENTIRELY too long in the 3rd and taking a critical 8 yd sack on 2nd down to kill a drive and lead to the missed fg. USM grabbed that momentum and never let go. It was very disappointing for a player as experienced as Pratt.

I continue to feel the transfer portal has made college football where anyone can beat anyone on any given day.
EXCEPT TULANE! This is a disgrace but so very typical. Heads should roll but they won't.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

sslatten wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:13 am What a huge disappointment, this is one of those games that leaves you scratching your head. 2 to 1 yardage and first down advantage, 13 minute TOP advantage; but missed/blocked FG/punt & dropped passes will seal your fate every time. Our play calling, especially in 2nd half, left a lot to be desired. While i admire his grit, Pratt is just not a very good pocket QB. Holds ball too long (or takes off running too early), doesn't follow progressions (had some very wide open WR & RB last night that were not even looked at) and rarely hits receivers in stride or in the numbers. Is Ibieta any better, i have no idea? Our defense is good enough to win a lot of games (look at what K St has done to everyone they have played with exception of TU) and gave us every opportunity last night (although the lack of forcing TO's is a little perplexing). Special teams did us in tonight, plain and simple. Its maddening that in every chance TU had to prove we have arrived and build our fan base under WF, we lay eggs such as this. I was worried this would happen, and it did, in front of our best crowd in years.

The play calling in the 2H really was suspect. We kept trying to pound it between the tackles or had Pratt standing forever in the pocket. It seemed like we got the ball to the perimeter quicker and far more often against KState. If we keep this pocket-oriented offense, we need Ibieta and Horton to start getting more play time. I do think Pratt has become damaged goods, ala David Carr.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Houma de Wave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:59 am
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:44 am It really is a shame because it seemed like the students were actively engaged in this one enough to stay past halftime. Imagine if we had won last night, and then beaten Houston. You know they would have shown even more if we were 5-0.

They had to stay to the end to be eligible to win the Apple Air Mac Pro computer they were giving away to the lucky winner.
There you go. And even with that, a good number of them left at halftime because it is soooo cool to do that.

On another note, Will Hall’s stock will/is rising and it would be great to have him on our sidelines “finding a way to win.”
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Houma de Wave wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:09 am
tpstulane wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:59 am

On another note, Will Hall’s stock will/is rising and it would be great to have him on our sidelines “finding a way to win.”
Hall will never be a Tulane, if his stock continues to rise, an SEC school will hire him, and I will go out on a limb and say it is AU...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !