Dana & UH

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I came for the Tex-Mex and Astro tickets
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... g-fruition
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Greeniegb
Swell

We need to listen and not be in the same boat Houston is in now!!!

Holgorsen: “What we’re dealing with right now is going to be dead last in the Big 12”

Holgorsen, who was 61-41 in 8 seasons with the Mountaineers and is 27-20 in 4 seasons at Houston, spoke to the Houston media yesterday and came up with a bunch of excuses why his team won’t be successful in the Big 12.
“We better be doing things institutionally to give us a chance. That’s real. I know what football needs to look like and we’re going to continue to improve it, continue to make progress when it comes to on-the-field product.
Institutionally, we’ve got a lot of work to do.
Now we need everybody to kind of put their money where their mouth is, so to speak. We’ve been wanting this for a long time, so now’s the time to step up,” Holgorsen added. “There’s just so many things that need to be done. I don’t think people realize what other people have and what we need. I’m not going to be shy when I say that, because I’ve been at three of those institutions and I know what they have and how much work that they put in over the last three decades. We’ve got some catching up to do.”
Holgorsen does have a point. Houston is dead last donations and fundraising in the new Big 12 by a large margin, and competing with other schools in the conference in NIL and recruiting will be extremely challenging if things don’t change quickly.

“Now we need everybody to kind of put their money where their mouth is, so to speak. We’ve been wanting this for a long time, so now’s the time to step up,”
Ruski
Swell

Dude did so little with so much in the AAC. He's a clown.
anEngineer
Riptide

As the unofficial President of Houston Community College, Tilman Fertitta went in search of a P5 head coach who could easily be bought because he had already worn out his welcome at his current job. Lo and behold, there was Dana Holgorsen at West Virginia.
Greeniegb
Swell

What the hell, while my post mentioned Dana, and Houston the purpose was to see the challenges ahead of Tulane University moving forward if Houston commitment from Administration would be last in the Big 12 where does that put us. That was my point, instead of hiding the post in this empty chat about Dana. Please give that post due process Steve so that our community discusses the hurdles we face, compare Houston's challenges and what is facing us. We know what Houston has and we know what we have, lets allow that discussion on a posting by itself where it belongs.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:12 am What the hell, while my post mentioned Dana, and Houston the purpose was to see the challenges ahead of Tulane University moving forward if Houston commitment from Administration would be last in the Big 12 where does that put us. That was my point, instead of hiding the post in this empty chat about Dana. Please give that post due process Steve so that our community discusses the hurdles we face, compare Houston's challenges and what is facing us. We know what Houston has and we know what we have, lets allow that discussion on a posting by itself where it belongs.
But gbg, you keep saying our only hurdle has been fan support. You suddenly on the Gibson Hall and facilities bandwagon?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Greeniegb
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:46 pm
Greeniegb wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:12 am What the hell, while my post mentioned Dana, and Houston the purpose was to see the challenges ahead of Tulane University moving forward if Houston commitment from Administration would be last in the Big 12 where does that put us. That was my point, instead of hiding the post in this empty chat about Dana. Please give that post due process Steve so that our community discusses the hurdles we face, compare Houston's challenges and what is facing us. We know what Houston has and we know what we have, lets allow that discussion on a posting by itself where it belongs.
But gbg, you keep saying our only hurdle has been fan support. You suddenly on the Gibson Hall and facilities bandwagon?
Quit mis speaking for me, they go hand in hand, the huge fan support for the Championship and the Cotton Bowl woke up the Administration of possibilities. If we only half filled Yulman for the Championship, and maybe 10,000 at the Cotton Bowl we would not be having this conversation on facilities and Power 5. The crowds for both games and the student support woke Fitts up to how the whole University experience could grow moving forward.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Greeniegb wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:00 pm The crowds for both games and the student support woke Fitts up to how the whole University experience could grow moving forward.
Did Fitts tell you this, or did you figure this out from divine intervention?

Fitts called his predecessor "an expert in NCAA athletics." He's never recanted that, nor said anything that tells me he's seen the light. Unless I missed something, there's been zero change in the University's commitment to winning. Certainly nothing has been publically announced other than his AD making vague comments about an IPF Bubble by the 2024 football season.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Greeniegb
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:07 pm
Greeniegb wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:00 pm The crowds for both games and the student support woke Fitts up to how the whole University experience could grow moving forward.

Fitts called his predecessor "an expert in NCAA athletics." He's never recanted that, nor said anything that tells me he's seen the light. Unless I missed something, there's been zero change in the University's commitment to winning. Certainly nothing has been publically announced other than his AD making vague comments about an IPF Bubble by the 2024 football season.
Naysayer, lol Money talks school recognition and free promotions. Troy is not blind!!! Figuring like any businessman how can the University capitalize into the future.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Greeniegb wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:10 pm

Naysayer, lol Money talks school recognition and free promotions. Troy is not blind!!! Figuring like any businessman how can the University capitalize into the future.
You didn't answer the question.

EXPERIENCE and HISTORY tell me that the 2022 season hasn't changed a thing w/r/t institutional commitment to winning. A month later, the Cotton Bowl is feeling like a great experience for long suffering Wave fans, but no change in the status quo has been seen. Feels a whole lot like 1999 to me. Call me a naysayer, but I haven't said anything but what's so. The time to announce projects that signify a new level of commitment to Athletics was in the month BEFORE the Cotton Bowl. It's a month later, and the silence from the administration is deafening.
anEngineer
Riptide

Deafening silence? It took about 4 weeks to announce a long term extension for Coach Fritz, upgrades to the football locker rooms and coaches offices and an IPF solution on campus. None of this was reality 2 months ago. I don't really see what you're complaining about at this point.
Greeniegb
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:27 am
Greeniegb wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:10 pm

You didn't answer the question.

EXPERIENCE and HISTORY tell me that the 2022 season hasn't changed a thing w/r/t institutional commitment to winning. A month later, the Cotton Bowl is feeling like a great experience for long suffering Wave fans, but no change in the status quo has been seen. Feels a whole lot like 1999 to me. Call me a naysayer, but I haven't said anything but what's so. The time to announce projects that signify a new level of commitment to Athletics was in the month BEFORE the Cotton Bowl. It's a month later, and the silence from the administration is deafening.
I will answer your questions, no commitment and Tulane Athletics blows up Coach Fritz will haul ass so fast, at this point with student and fan support Troy and Fitts both would be chased out of Dodge!!! Common Sense!!! Not your opinion. Something will and must happen!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:56 am Deafening silence? It took about 4 weeks to announce a long term extension for Coach Fritz, upgrades to the football locker rooms and coaches offices and an IPF solution on campus. None of this was reality 2 months ago. I don't really see what you're complaining about at this point.
Where exactly are these announcements? As previously posted, other than Troy talking about an IPF bubble by the 2024 in an interview here and there, and Fritz talking about staying until retirement, there hasn't been anything formally announced in terms of the contract to my knowledge. And even if there were, this isn't even catching up to the competition. If this is what you think is an elevated commitment to Athletics, and is enough to show the "Pees" that we're more serious than we've been in 60 years, we can agree to disagree. I think it's more of the same. How many times do we need to hear that we're re-doing the locker rooms and weight room, without it being "we are buidling new facilities that are long overdue?"
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:22 pm
anEngineer wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:56 am Deafening silence? It took about 4 weeks to announce a long term extension for Coach Fritz, upgrades to the football locker rooms and coaches offices and an IPF solution on campus. None of this was reality 2 months ago. I don't really see what you're complaining about at this point.
Where exactly are these announcements? As previously posted, other than Troy talking about an IPF bubble by the 2024 in an interview here and there, and Fritz talking about staying until retirement, there hasn't been anything formally announced in terms of the contract to my knowledge. And even if there were, this isn't even catching up to the competition. If this is what you think is an elevated commitment to Athletics, and is enough to show the "Pees" that we're more serious than we've been in 60 years, we can agree to disagree. I think it's more of the same. How many times do we need to hear that we're re-doing the locker rooms and weight room, without it being "we are buidling new facilities that are long overdue?"
Tulane says they are going to do it so I have to take them at their word. Saying it is expected by 2024 is hardly deafening silence. Maybe there is more, maybe there is not, but to say it's deafening silence is just ridiculous. Even if you think they are totally lying, it's admitting some needs.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Irrespective of the confidence one might have on what Fitts, Dannen or Tulane has said or implied, there is no doubt that what Willie and his "Team Like No Other" pulled off in the 2022 season was, except for Winwave, completely unexpected by most, and probably especially by Fitts, Dannen and anyone else officed in Gibson Hall or Wilson Center--they never expected to have to deal with this level of success, fan support and national media coverage. But what Willie and his team did has dropped a huge hot potato into the lap of Fitts, Dannen and anybody else in the chain of decision making for Tulane athletics. I'm sure they are all scrambling in trying to figure out how to respond--both verbally and in action(s). But one thing is for sure, if they don't respond sufficiently, and within the next six months, there will be a huge hue and cry from multiple directions including the alumni base, fans and the media. They simply cannot let the momentum fade because of their inactions and lack of commitment. The clock is ticking.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:12 pm Irrespective of the confidence one might have in what Fitts, Dannen or Tulane has said or implied, there is no doubt that what Willie and his "Team Like No Other" pulled off in the 2022 season was, except for Winwave, completely unexpected by most, and probably especially by Fitts, Dannen and anyone else officed in Gibson Hall or Wilson Center--they never expected to have to deal with this level of success, fan support and national media coverage. But what Willie and his team did has dropped a huge hot potato into the lap of Fitts, Dannen and anybody else in the chain of decision making for Tulane athletics. I'm sure they are all scrambling in trying to figure out how to respond--both verbally and in action(s). But one thing is for sure, if they don't respond sufficiently, and within the next six months, there will be a huge hue and cry from multiple directions including the alumni base, fans and the media. They simply cannot let the momentum fade because of their inactions and lack of commitment. The clock is ticking.
There's already been way too long of a period of inactivity. Frankly, a major announcement should have been made BEFORE the Cotton Bowl.

The Tulane attendance at the Cotton Bowl had NOTHING to do with this administration, absolutely nothing. That attendance is the single biggest thing that's happened that helps Tulane's chances at getting out of the AAC. Meanwhile, this administration is silent. Even if they formally announced everything AnEngineer says they will that would be relatively insignificant. Actually it would be a signal that nothing has changed because those moves are window dressing when we need a complete overhaul. It would be going cheap like we've done for decades. Tell me Tulane doesn't have the money to build anything than a bubble for an IPF or expand Yulman, or some of the other projects we want to see, and I'll tell you that's because our fundraising sucks. Tulane continues to be Tulane Athletics's biggest roadblock to a truly competitive D1 athletics program.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:35 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:12 pm Irrespective of the confidence one might have in what Fitts, Dannen or Tulane has said or implied, there is no doubt that what Willie and his "Team Like No Other" pulled off in the 2022 season was, except for Winwave, completely unexpected by most, and probably especially by Fitts, Dannen and anyone else officed in Gibson Hall or Wilson Center--they never expected to have to deal with this level of success, fan support and national media coverage. But what Willie and his team did has dropped a huge hot potato into the lap of Fitts, Dannen and anybody else in the chain of decision making for Tulane athletics. I'm sure they are all scrambling in trying to figure out how to respond--both verbally and in action(s). But one thing is for sure, if they don't respond sufficiently, and within the next six months, there will be a huge hue and cry from multiple directions including the alumni base, fans and the media. They simply cannot let the momentum fade because of their inactions and lack of commitment. The clock is ticking.
There's already been way too long of a period of inactivity. Frankly, a major announcement should have been made BEFORE the Cotton Bowl.

The Tulane attendance at the Cotton Bowl had NOTHING to do with this administration, absolutely nothing. That attendance is the single biggest thing that's happened that helps Tulane's chances at getting out of the AAC. Meanwhile, this administration is silent. Even if they formally announced everything AnEngineer says they will that would be relatively insignificant. Actually it would be a signal that nothing has changed because those moves are window dressing when we need a complete overhaul. It would be going cheap like we've done for decades. Tell me Tulane doesn't have the money to build anything than a bubble for an IPF or expand Yulman, or some of the other projects we want to see, and I'll tell you that's because our fundraising sucks. Tulane continues to be Tulane Athletics's biggest roadblock to a truly competitive D1 athletics program.
I'm concerned we won't even get much window dressing. It's going to be hard to reverse the failed anti-athletic culture of the past 73 years, especially given the recent 18-year dead zone that Cowen created.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:53 pm
Tulane says they are going to do it so I have to take them at their word. Saying it is expected by 2024 is hardly deafening silence. Maybe there is more, maybe there is not, but to say it's deafening silence is just ridiculous. Even if you think they are totally lying, it's admitting some needs.
You admit there have been no announcements. How is that not contradicting yourself?

And again, signing our coach to a contract extension and building a 50 yard IPF bubble is typical of what we've seen for decades. Your arguing for a hip hip horay for the status quo continuing. I'm saying the window is rapidly closing, if not closed, to take advantage of the 2022 season.

I enjoyed the hell out of the 2022 season. I'm 60 years old, if seasons like this continue to be decades apart, it's unlikely I'll be around for the next one. Yes, I want REAL change, not window dressing.
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:56 pm
anEngineer wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:53 pm
You admit there have been no announcements. How is that not contradicting yourself?

And again, signing our coach to a contract extension and building a 50 yard IPF bubble is typical of what we've seen for decades. Your arguing for a hip hip horay for the status quo continuing. I'm saying the window is rapidly closing, if not closed, to take advantage of the 2022 season.

I enjoyed the hell out of the 2022 season. I'm 60 years old, if seasons like this continue to be decades apart, it's unlikely I'll be around for the next one. Yes, I want REAL change, not window dressing.
OK, maybe you just aren't hearing it because you are in CT, but those things are being reported in local news and coaches are already talking about moving into trailers until the offices are completed. You have to admit that the IPF is real. It's been discussed at length on this site.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:46 pm
OK, maybe you just aren't hearing it because you are in CT, but those things are being reported in local news and coaches are already talking about moving into trailers until the offices are completed. You have to admit that the IPF is real. It's been discussed at length on this site.
I would bet I read more Tulane articles in local New Orleans/BR news and see more Tulane-related news videos from local media than 95% of people that live there. Why? Because I'm a die-hard fan that seeks it all out. I've read and seen what you have. While I don't doubt these projects will be started in the coming months, they have not been announced and unless there's a major announcement lurking with these other plans, it's won't be nearly enough. We're blowing the opportunity presented as we speak. Do you think the major donors are as anxious to donate to projects announced in April as they would have been for projects announced in December?

"But they needed time to get their ducks in order" Well they've had decades to do so. Oh yeah, the football success surprised them, they were not ready for this. Sorry, but that's on them. I stand by my statement, the silence is deafening.
anEngineer
Riptide

Whatever! The bottom line is that those things will happen whether you believe it or not.
RobertM320
Green Wave

"But they needed time to get their ducks in order" Well they've had decades to do so. Oh yeah, the football success surprised them, they were not ready for this. Sorry, but that's on them.
10000% We've had decades to have some sort of dreamland master plan in place. I mean, you never know when some alum may be the person to win a $750M lottery, or strike it rich in crypto or something else, and decide to give $25M to athletics. No excuse for not being prepared.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:56 am
"But they needed time to get their ducks in order" Well they've had decades to do so. Oh yeah, the football success surprised them, they were not ready for this. Sorry, but that's on them.
10000% We've had decades to have some sort of dreamland master plan in place. I mean, you never know when some alum may be the person to win a $750M lottery, or strike it rich in crypto or something else, and decide to give $25M to athletics. No excuse for not being prepared.
when it comes to Athletics and PR, the admin @ Tulane cannot spell "Ducks' and have zero idea what "order" is, except at the drive thru at McDonalds...however, they can spell "Fuk Up" and "Malfunction" without any issues
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:56 am
There's never been a master plan, as evidenced by the piecemeal ala carte approach to what we do have. The 2022 football season took all the Tulane desk jockeys by surprise, and now they're fumbling trying to concoct a response ("damn why did Willie put us in this unexpected predicament"). It's not easy to suddenly show up on the front porch of a potential big donor when you've never, or rarely, had any contact with them before. What they should also have had ready is a campaign appealing to the middling fans and bandwagoners who have been all charged up over the last two months. If they had tapped that group from mid-December thru January, they could have had many pledges--but that juice is drying up with each passing day.