Tulane leaving the SEC is #2 worst decision in college FB history

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Show Me
Tsunami

Amazing it’s not #1
https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/worst-coll ... sions.html
2. Tulane leaves SEC

The problem with Ryan’s assertion that South Carolina leaving the ACC was the biggest mistake in conference changes is over the years is it’s not even the worst decision by a school to leave what would become a power conference. Tulane was a charter member of the SEC in 1933, but the school made the decision to leave the conference in 1964 because of a fundamental difference in opinion regarding scholarship limits. Tulane (and Georgia Tech, who joined the ACC) wanted scholarship restrictions to be limited to 140 between football and basketball, but the rest of the SEC was not willing to place a cap. With that being the case, Tulane took off for football independence until the formation of Conference USA in 1996.

Had Tulane stuck around and remained in the SEC, who knows where it would be today. Would Tulane be on the same level as LSU? The world may never know.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

show ya how smart the Admin's at Tulane really are.....for a school that touts IQ scores, they are really fukin stupid
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I’ll never forget the day my dad came home from hearing this I was about 6 years old. First time I’d ever seen him with tears in his eyes. He knew it was a big mistake. Somewhere I have the letter Dr Rix Yard put out on Tulane leaving the SEC and the reasons. And how they were going to be “Independent “. 😥😥😥
Probably a billion dollar mistake at least going forward if not yet.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

What would we estimate the total lost revenue is at this point from leaving the sec ? It might not be a Billion yet, but it will be soon (what will payouts be in the new sec super conference ? $100m per year ? ). Considering our endowment is $1.9b, wowza that’s quite the MASSIVE oopsy daisy.

In fairness shouldnt sewanee also be mentioned here for also leaving the SEC ?

Edit: just saw tps also speculated on this same question
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:36 am What would we estimate the total lost revenue is at this point from leaving the sec ? It might not be a Billion yet, but it will be soon (what will payouts be in the new sec super conference ? $100m per year ? ). Considering our endowment is $1.9b, wowza that’s quite the MASSIVE oopsy daisy.

Yes. If not a billion today it absolutely would be in the next few years. Just mind boggling at this point.
I can only imagine $100 million a year getting pumped into Tulane Athletics. Time to wake up to reality. 🫣🫣
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It is already a billion based on all their TV contracts over the years then all of the revenue we would have had from ticket sales to all those SEC games. That article says it was over scholarship limits that the others wouldn't agree to. Then lo and behold Tulane left and scholarship limits eventually got put in. It is clearly the #1 issue. The writer was wrong as the national media usually is when it comes to Tulane.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave Fan
Low Tide

Too bad Bruce Miller is not still around. He was there when it was all coming down.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Game of what if:

So if we stayed in the SEC would we have stayed in the super dome ? Would Tulane stadium have been demolished at all ?

If Tulane stadium was demolished and we eventually left the dome, what would the new on campus stadium look like ? 45k multi tiered all around ? Sigh
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If we stayed in the stadium probably would have still been torn down as the SEC wasn't getting big money yet. We likely stay in the Dome due to the crowds of not only our fans but opposing fans would have been no less than 45k for games and several with 60-70k . We wouldn't have moved back to campus because Reilly still would have been built and we would have been restricted to building on the same tiny spot Yulman is on. Plus the city would have wanted us to stay there due to the crowds filling the hotels and restaurants.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
McWave
High Tide

An SEC with Tulane, Swanee, Vanderbilt and GT…I think there would have been a new conference that emerged with primarily flagship state schools with limited academic expectations. These 4 just don’t have the student population and supporters as well. The SEC evolved over time by dropping the lower tier schools and focusing on sports.
nawlinspete
Riptide

McWave , the SEC has not dropped anyone ever . We , GT and Sewanee quit .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:36 am What would we estimate the total lost revenue is at this point from leaving the sec ? It might not be a Billion yet, but it will be soon (what will payouts be in the new sec super conference ? $100m per year ? ). Considering our endowment is $1.9b, wowza that’s quite the MASSIVE oopsy daisy.

It's got to be well over $1 Billion. Just the TV revenue alone would put it close to $1 billion. Add in the hundreds of thousands of tickets that we would have sold across all sports over the last 58 seasons, lost fan base which means merchandising is a tiny fraction of what it would have been. You can never underestimate what it did to donations as well. The students would have been much more engaged in Tulane sports and that would have lead to more donations not only to the athletics department but to the general fund as well. I'd say it's a $1 billion mistake that Kelly messed up us not getting the P6 invite that TCU received.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

The SEC money past and future would absolutely crush anything the Tulane endowment would ever bring in. Biggest mistake in the history of any sports. No one even comes close to this.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:40 am show ya how smart the Admin's at Tulane really are.....for a school that touts IQ scores, they are really fukin stupid
Exactly!! A litany of stupidity from the top. It's literally hard to make as many bad decisions as Tulane has over the last 70+ years--you have to really work at being that incompetent and defy the odds of accidentally making a good decision now and then.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The engaged fan base and donors would be atleast atleast 10x. LSU also wouldn’t have been able to cut us from their scheduling. The corporate sponsors would be atleast 10x. Crazy to think just the tv rights will be 20x shortly of what we are getting.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

What a coincidence this pops up on Twitter by a Nola history expert. Tearing down Tulane Stadium
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:20 pm What a coincidence this pops up on Twitter by a Nola history expert. Tearing down Tulane Stadium
look at the pic on the right, in the upper left, is their vison for Yulman...already had the ole "turf' in place...what a cost savings
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !