USC and direction school UCLA

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Wave755
Tsunami

SI article on “Big 20.” So much for college football 🏈 tradition. Why, because “it’s all about the Benjamins 💵 baby!!!” https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cf ... -expansion

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:06 am SI article on “Big 20.” So much for college football 🏈 tradition. Why, because “it’s all about the Benjamins 💵 baby!!!” https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cf ... -expansion
Exactly. I remember when AAC media day was streamed free all day on the AAC website. Now they using ESPN+ to do it. Unfortunately fans of the G5 programs have to pay for content whereas the fans of the SEC get it shoved down their throat from all angles for free.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:16 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:12 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:56 pm It's not about being deserving. It's about the elites not wanting to start having 8-4,7-5 or worse records. Don't care if it happens or not. Just saying it's not going to.
They're still going to have that. Can't have everyone play 9 conference games and go 9-3 or 10-2. Its already started in the SEC. You see damn good teams go 7-5 and finish 5th in their division. They're putting up with it now, but its going to get worse.
They are going to go to 10 game conference schedules. The elite teams currently don't go 10-2, 9-3 0r 7-5. So once they go to the Big 2 they will keep the Vandy's,et all so they don't descend to 10-2,9-3 or 7-5 or worse.
Except you can't have 10 elite teams in a conference and expect them all to go 12-0 or 11-1. If you took any math classes you'd know that mathematically can't happen. And the more conference games they add, the worse it gets. If you've got 20 teams in the conference, they can't ALL play Vandy every year.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:26 pm

They're still going to have that. Can't have everyone play 9 conference games and go 9-3 or 10-2. Its already started in the SEC. You see damn good teams go 7-5 and finish 5th in their division. They're putting up with it now, but its going to get worse.
They are going to go to 10 game conference schedules. The elite teams currently don't go 10-2, 9-3 0r 7-5. So once they go to the Big 2 they will keep the Vandy's,et all so they don't descend to 10-2,9-3 or 7-5 or worse.
Except you can't have 10 elite teams in a conference and expect them all to go 12-0 or 11-1. If you took any math classes you'd know that mathematically can't happen. And the more conference games they add, the worse it gets. If you've got 20 teams in the conference, they can't ALL play Vandy every year.
I said the elite teams. There's not 10 elite teams. Plus it will be two different conferences spreading out the elite teams. The SEC has Alabama on a yearly basis. Right now you can add Georgia to that. Other years it might be LSU or Florida. Big 10 now has Ohio State on a pretty much yearly basis. Michigan stepped up last year. Other years it might be Wisconsin. You have name schools like Texas , UCLA and the such but they are not elite. teams. So work on your math skills and your reading comprehension.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

With all the teams merging Aresco trying to get rid of the G5 brand now.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

And according to ESPN, Kliavkoff just announced he's now bullish on an expanded CFP--another flip flop. First, he passes on putting a kill shot on the Big12, then the PAC12/Big10/ACC "alliance" non-event, then his fight against an expanded CFP, and now he's for an expanded CFP--this guy is flailing in a dark room with a bag over his head. and is 0-for-everything since he became PAC12 commish. I guess getting pickpocketed by his Big10 "alliance" partner is bringing him back to reality.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The Athletic has been a worthy subscription as of late. They are putting out stories left and right on the realignment movements. Unfortunately I’ve yet to see Tulane mentioned even once. So disappointing.

https://theathletic.com/3453820/2022/07 ... ecruiting/

https://theathletic.com/3455384/2022/07 ... expansion/
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:49 pm The Athletic has been a worthy subscription as of late. They are putting out stories left and right on the realignment movements. Unfortunately I’ve yet to see Tulane mentioned even once. So disappointing.

have to admit with Tulane's Amatuer Athleic Union ranking/membership, I am shocked that the big10, acc is not knocking down Fitts door....of course SC is the "doorman", and that may be the issue
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:09 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:49 pm The Athletic has been a worthy subscription as of late. They are putting out stories left and right on the realignment movements. Unfortunately I’ve yet to see Tulane mentioned even once. So disappointing.

have to admit with Tulane's Amatuer Athleic Union ranking/membership, I am shocked that the big10, acc is not knocking down Fitts door....of course SC is the "doorman", and that may be the issue
Looks like TV markets determine the moves.
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

They will have an expanded playoff format. A 3 loss SEC program can/will win a national championship.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:30 pm

I said the elite teams. There's not 10 elite teams. Plus it will be two different conferences spreading out the elite teams. The SEC has Alabama on a yearly basis. Right now you can add Georgia to that. Other years it might be LSU or Florida. Big 10 now has Ohio State on a pretty much yearly basis. Michigan stepped up last year. Other years it might be Wisconsin. You have name schools like Texas , UCLA and the such but they are not elite. teams. So work on your math skills and your reading comprehension.
Except it really isn't about who IS an elite team. Its about who THINKS they're an elite team. SEC will now have GA, ALA TX, OU, but tell me LSU, A&M, FL and AUB don't SEE themselves as elite teams. They'll all end up playing at least 5 games against each other. I don't see most of those schools being happy with consistent 7-5, 8-4 seasons.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
wave97
Swell

Hello?
The SEC bitchslap on the rest of college football will give a wide berth for multiple loss SEC programs.
Vandy needs to go. Mizzou gone! What about MS State?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

wave97 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:39 pm Hello?
The SEC bitchslap on the rest of college football will give a wide berth for multiple loss SEC programs.
Vandy needs to go. Mizzou gone! What about MS State?
They’ll be on the outs eventually. History and tradition are just forms of roadkill at this point.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The power teams that are selected, will resign frorm their respective conferences, form their own governing body, "the Vandys" types, may still be in the sec or big10 but the bama's or the ohio states will be gone
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Folks, if you're going to mention "power" programs, there's been quite a few names bandied about the last two or three pages of this thread than cannot lift the jockstraps of Penn State. Yes, they've struggled to reach the height they enjoyed pre-Sandusky, but they're a bigger draw and will soon be back to perennial contender status. I'm not a Penn State fan, never have been, never will be. But Penn State is royalty w/r/t college football.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:50 am The power teams that are selected, will resign frorm their respective conferences, form their own governing body, "the Vandys" types, may still be in the sec or big10 but the bama's or the ohio states will be gone
That’s the ticket for Tulane getting back in the SEC!! TV payout may only be $10MM per year, but we will have corrected our Great Mistake. 🤪
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:07 am Folks, if you're going to mention "power" programs, there's been quite a few names bandied about the last two or three pages of this thread than cannot lift the jockstraps of Penn State. Yes, they've struggled to reach the height they enjoyed pre-Sandusky, but they're a bigger draw and will soon be back to perennial contender status. I'm not a Penn State fan, never have been, never will be. But Penn State is royalty w/r/t college football.
ya gotta have Penn State...they bring TV sets...same for Colorado, they bring the denver tv market... power programs will be selected on the basis of: 1-on field performance and 2-the number of projected tv's in their geographic media zone.........example Mizzou on field performace is a graded a C- but their media zone of STL and KCMO will get them in... UH will be borderline, how many schools do you need for the Houston TV market...Texas A&M, LSU and Texas pretty much bring that media market...same for the DFW market, OU, A&M, Texas and to a point lsu bring that market, so there is zero need for an SMU or TCU in the BMAA-BigMoneyAthletic Assoc
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:50 am The power teams that are selected, will resign frorm their respective conferences, form their own governing body, "the Vandys" types, may still be in the sec or big10 but the bama's or the ohio states will be gone
So which SEC schools get the invite to the S2? and which ones don’t? Do the Auburns, Tennessee, and South Carolina’s get left behind?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:29 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:30 pm

Except it really isn't about who IS an elite team. Its about who THINKS they're an elite team. SEC will now have GA, ALA TX, OU, but tell me LSU, A&M, FL and AUB don't SEE themselves as elite teams. They'll all end up playing at least 5 games against each other. I don't see most of those schools being happy with consistent 7-5, 8-4 seasons.
Several do think they are elite even though they aren't. it's that thinking that will want them to keep the lesser teams like Vandy, South Carolina, Missouri, Ole Miss, Miss. St. Kentucky and Arkansas to pad their records. But only one is truly elite . And that's Bama. The others are used to going through bad periods. Others will pop up from time to time as elite as Georgia is right now. Those two will have elite records that all fans of college football are looking for of championship teams. So no there won't be 3 loss SEC teams winning NC's.

I get that people are frustrated and want to claim it's not fair that others that aren't worthy are still in those conferences so they try to tear them down to see them brought down to Tulane's level. But as I've pointed out before life's not fair. Those teams aren't going to get jettisoned no matter how much people cry about it.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

as far as "padding records" are concerned, they will still play those schools "left behind"...just as they now play SWAC, MAC, CUSA and SunBelt teams...but those "left behind schools" will not be at the weekly pay window of the BMAA....South Carolina is not needed, Tennesse will get in as will Auburn becasue of "on field" and more importantly, for Tenneesee, TV sets...FSU and Florida and MAYBE Miami.... A&M and Texas will be the only ones from the State that will be included
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They will play them as conference mates. The new mega TV deals will likely want more conference content. So no they won't be kicking them out. Carry on all you want but it's not going to happen.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:31 am as far as "padding records" are concerned, they will still play those schools "left behind"...just as they now play SWAC, MAC, CUSA and SunBelt teams...but those "left behind schools" will not be at the weekly pay window of the BMAA....South Carolina is not needed, Tennesse will get in as will Auburn becasue of "on field" and more importantly, for Tenneesee, TV sets...FSU and Florida and MAYBE Miami.... A&M and Texas will be the only ones from the State that will be included
BMAA :lol: :lol:
Last edited by HoustonWave on Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:27 am
DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:07 am Folks, if you're going to mention "power" programs, there's been quite a few names bandied about the last two or three pages of this thread than cannot lift the jockstraps of Penn State. Yes, they've struggled to reach the height they enjoyed pre-Sandusky, but they're a bigger draw and will soon be back to perennial contender status. I'm not a Penn State fan, never have been, never will be. But Penn State is royalty w/r/t college football.
ya gotta have Penn State...they bring TV sets...same for Colorado, they bring the denver tv market... power programs will be selected on the basis of: 1-on field performance and 2-the number of projected tv's in their geographic media zone.........example Mizzou on field performace is a graded a C- but their media zone of STL and KCMO will get them in... UH will be borderline, how many schools do you need for the Houston TV market...Texas A&M, LSU and Texas pretty much bring that media market...same for the DFW market, OU, A&M, Texas and to a point lsu bring that market, so there is zero need for an SMU or TCU in the BMAA-BigMoneyAthletic Assoc
Penn State will have no problem getting into the S2--they are Pennsylvania football, and Pennsylvania has a lot of eyeballs. Colorado isn't as automatic. Colorado only has around 5MM people, and it's kind of like California around here--there are too many other things to do than watch college football. By late fall, many are headed for the slopes every Friday afternoon.