USC and direction school UCLA

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12929
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

wave97 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:24 pm
Name me four teams from the Big10 who aren't bottom feeders?
I define bottom feeders as those who don't have a following big enough to justify the amount of money the conference is paying them. With that definition, I challenge you to name 4 teams in the Big 10 that ARE bottom feeders. I think Rutgers and Northwestern are on the cusp, but both have much bigger fan bases than any school in the G5.


" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12929
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

wave97 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:02 pm https://bigten.org/standings.aspx?path=football
Define it anyway you want...
Standings do not equate to pulling your weight. Every team at the bottom of those standings have bigger fan bases and better ratings than we do. Rutgers draws more for most home games than we put in the seats in Dallas in our "once in a lifetime" Bowl Game. Seems to me like the pot calling the tea kettle black.

And if we want to use your methodology, MOST of the SEC would be considered Bottom Feeders. Who has won the SEC in the past 25 years besides Georgia, Florida, Alabama, LSU and Auburn? So I guess the SEC has 9 bottom feeders?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 2350
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

A perfect example of D’s point is the reporting that the Big 10 wanted Oregon over UCLA, but FOX wanted to lock down the LA market so they pushed out Oregon and replaced them with UCLA. Ever since media got involved, media value is worth far more than any on the field accomplishments.
User avatar
Show Me
Tsunami
Posts: 5055
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Good topic. Imagine if Tulane were still in the SEC we’d need a stadium twice the size of Yulman. It matters who you play and what league your in. We’ve reached a ceiling in the AAC because of the lack of attractive opponents. Part of the reason I went to the Cotton Bowl is simply because we were playing USC. I wanted to see how we’d match up with one of the all-time elites. Had we been playing TCU I’d had less interest going. Probably would have gone anyway but I was ecstatic to see us play USC.
Imagine the fan base we could create playing , LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia each year.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12929
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Show Me wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:55 am Good topic. Imagine if Tulane were still in the SEC we’d need a stadium twice the size of Yulman. It matters who you play and what league your in. We’ve reached a ceiling in the AAC because of the lack of attractive opponents. Part of the reason I went to the Cotton Bowl is simply because we were playing USC. I wanted to see how we’d match up with one of the all-time elites. Had we been playing TCU I’d had less interest going. Probably would have gone anyway but I was ecstatic to see us play USC.
Imagine the fan base we could create playing , LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia each year.
This is a very fair point. And I agree about USC and the Cotton Bowl. For the rest of my life, I will smile when I hear the USC fight song. I'll remember turning to my buddy at the end of the first drive when they must have played it after each of about 7 first downs, and saying "well, we're going to wear out their goddamned band anyway." I was totally psyched (and I'll admit, initially a bit scared) that we were playing the Trojans. Once I did my homework, I not only thought we had a legitimate chance to win, I thought Spears had a chance to break the Cotton Bowl rushing record (281 yards!)

But back to your point about what kind of fan base we could build if we were back in the SEC is fun to think about. If we ever got to the point where we could compete with UGa, Bama ,and LSU and win as often as we lost, we'd pick up fans from all over the country that are tired of the same teams dominating. Too bad our administration seems to have no desire to play in that sandbox.

I'm going to watch the last 4 minutes of 1/2/23 again. Right after I listen to the Trojans band! :mrgreen:
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 7408
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Show Me wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:55 am Good topic. Imagine if Tulane were still in the SEC we’d need a stadium twice the size of Yulman. It matters who you play and what league your in. We’ve reached a ceiling in the AAC because of the lack of attractive opponents. Part of the reason I went to the Cotton Bowl is simply because we were playing USC. I wanted to see how we’d match up with one of the all-time elites. Had we been playing TCU I’d had less interest going. Probably would have gone anyway but I was ecstatic to see us play USC.
Imagine the fan base we could create playing , LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia each year.
So true. We would be in a totally different universe. I'm not sure you could expand Yulman enough to hold many of the crowds--what a great problem that would be. Any P5 we can get into will give us a big lift, but no scenario can do what SEC membership could do. And as much as a lift for Tulane, playing an SEC schedule would also be a huge lift for N.O.'s tourist industry.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12929
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:35 am
Show Me wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:55 am Good topic. Imagine if Tulane were still in the SEC we’d need a stadium twice the size of Yulman. It matters who you play and what league your in. We’ve reached a ceiling in the AAC because of the lack of attractive opponents. Part of the reason I went to the Cotton Bowl is simply because we were playing USC. I wanted to see how we’d match up with one of the all-time elites. Had we been playing TCU I’d had less interest going. Probably would have gone anyway but I was ecstatic to see us play USC.
Imagine the fan base we could create playing , LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia each year.
So true. We would be in a totally different universe. I'm not sure you could expand Yulman enough to hold many of the crowds--what a great problem that would be. Any P5 we can get into will give us a big lift, but no scenario can do what SEC membership could do. And as much as a lift for Tulane, playing an SEC schedule would also be a huge lift for N.O.'s tourist industry.
If the political and social pressure to have LSU support Tulane getting back into the SEC was strong enough, we'd be a great candidate to get back in. Academics be damned, it would be the best thing to happen to Tulane ever. It would enhance, not hinder, the academic reputation as a strong Tulane athletics program would only make the University that much more attractive to High School kids.

It's nice to have dreams!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 7408
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:57 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:35 am
Show Me wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:55 am Good topic. Imagine if Tulane were still in the SEC we’d need a stadium twice the size of Yulman. It matters who you play and what league your in. We’ve reached a ceiling in the AAC because of the lack of attractive opponents. Part of the reason I went to the Cotton Bowl is simply because we were playing USC. I wanted to see how we’d match up with one of the all-time elites. Had we been playing TCU I’d had less interest going. Probably would have gone anyway but I was ecstatic to see us play USC.
Imagine the fan base we could create playing , LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia each year.
So true. We would be in a totally different universe. I'm not sure you could expand Yulman enough to hold many of the crowds--what a great problem that would be. Any P5 we can get into will give us a big lift, but no scenario can do what SEC membership could do. And as much as a lift for Tulane, playing an SEC schedule would also be a huge lift for N.O.'s tourist industry.
If the political and social pressure to have LSU support Tulane getting back into the SEC was strong enough, we'd be a great candidate to get back in. Academics be damned, it would be the best thing to happen to Tulane ever. It would enhance, not hinder, the academic reputation as a strong Tulane athletics program would only make the University that much more attractive to High School kids.

It's nice to have dreams!
+1,000,000. Playing the political card, and hushing LSU, would be the best strategy for getting back into the SEC--I think many of the other schools would love to include N.O. in the SEC tour card. Unfortunately, I think Tulane's most influential days in Louisiana politics is way in the rear-view mirror.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami
Posts: 7408
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:14 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:57 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:35 am
So true. We would be in a totally different universe. I'm not sure you could expand Yulman enough to hold many of the crowds--what a great problem that would be. Any P5 we can get into will give us a big lift, but no scenario can do what SEC membership could do. And as much as a lift for Tulane, playing an SEC schedule would also be a huge lift for N.O.'s tourist industry.
If the political and social pressure to have LSU support Tulane getting back into the SEC was strong enough, we'd be a great candidate to get back in. Academics be damned, it would be the best thing to happen to Tulane ever. It would enhance, not hinder, the academic reputation as a strong Tulane athletics program would only make the University that much more attractive to High School kids.

It's nice to have dreams!
+1,000,000. Playing the political card, and hushing LSU, would be the best strategy for getting back into the SEC--I think many of the other schools would love to include N.O. in the SEC tour card. Unfortunately, I think Tulane's most influential days in Louisiana politics is way in the rear-view mirror. At the very least, Tulane should conduct a comprehensive study on what the economic impact on N.O. would be if we were in the SEC. Maybe the resulting money-tree would get some local and state politicians salivating.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Post Reply