USC and direction school UCLA

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:32 pm That was a speculative article from a site named awful announcing. Consider the source. Aresco did talk the talk but as I said here then it wasn't going to happen for the reasons I posted above and it didn't happen for those reasons. So the AAC didn't blow its chance. it never had one.
It was on a bunch of credible Websites besides that.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... er-report/
AAC may look to poach Big 12 teams should Texas and Oklahoma exit, per report

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As I said above it was talked about but the AAC had no chance based on the things I pointed out above. We had a long thread and I kept telling those that kept saying we were going to poach the Big 12 that we weren't and that they would do the poaching and that's what happened.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:15 pm As I said above it was talked about but the AAC had no chance based on the things I pointed out above. We had a long thread and I kept telling those that kept saying we were going to poach the Big 12 that we weren't and that they would do the poaching and that's what happened.
I know. I’m just saying after Tx and Ou left the AAC had a better group of teams. The opportunity was there at that point. Unfortunately the Big 12 acted first. The big talk was that the Big 12 would disappear.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That's not the case. The Big 12 had the better teams still but more importantly their TV contract was $24 million to the AAC's $7 million. It's all about the money. it's why I said from the beginning it was the Big 12 that would do the poaching . The AAC never had a chance so they couldn't blow it. Plus on top of that the articles you cite point out Aresco wanted to do that but for the reasons I cited he never had a chance.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:47 pm That's not the case. The Big 12 had the better teams still but more importantly their TV contract was $24 million to the AAC's $7 million. It's all about the money. it's why I said from the beginning it was the Big 12 that would do the poaching . The AAC never had a chance so they couldn't blow it. Plus on top of that the articles you cite point out Aresco wanted to do that but for the reasons I cited he never had a chance.
That contract included those two. Without them it’s much less.
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:34 am In an ACC conference without FSU, Miami and Clemson, Tulane can compete and would be a perfect fit. The schools left would be similar in size and academic standards. The interest and exposure would be high in football and very high in basketball.
Exactly. But they are locked up with a terrible TV contract.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:41 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:47 pm That's not the case. The Big 12 had the better teams still but more importantly their TV contract was $24 million to the AAC's $7 million. It's all about the money. it's why I said from the beginning it was the Big 12 that would do the poaching . The AAC never had a chance so they couldn't blow it. Plus on top of that the articles you cite point out Aresco wanted to do that but for the reasons I cited he never had a chance.
That contract included those two. Without them it’s much less.
They were immediately promised that their payout would remain the same. What will happen next time is they won't get a huge increase. So no they weren't leaving due to the money. Plus as I said they weren't going to pay the buyout just like UT and OU couldn't pay it because it was too high due to giving their GOR to the Big 12.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:38 am ACC media days
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ealignment
Like the PAC12 now, and the Big12 a year ago, the ACC states they'll do the usual, "stand pat". Of course, what else can they do, most of these conference offices never seem to have a Plan B readily available. Just as they never seem to look ahead and have any idea what to do next when they get raided or abandoned. You'd think by now the conference commissioners would realize that you can never really "stand pat"--as the old saying goes, "either you're moving forward, or falling behind" the status quo is rarely an option--as Tulane has demonstrated for 70+ years.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
greenie78
Riptide

The ACC is waiting for Notre Dame’s next move. If they can keep them as a full-time member, it will keep them on track to maintain with the SEC/Big 10 and not lose any members. Plus no other schools to choose from who could drastically increase their revenue.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You know, reading that article that golfnut posted all I could think was this: The B1G adds USC and UCLA after the Big 12 added Texas and OU. The ACC isn't adding Tulane to counter those moves. Probably not adding anyone that isn't a recognized football factory. And as stated above, they sure would like ND to join the dance. ND probably cannot hold out much longer as their star is fading. But ND may try to hold out until the days when the B1G and SEC leave the NCAA. They'd rather be in that number.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ND’s star isn’t fading. Shining brighter now than in a long time. Playoffs, NY6 Bowls, top ten finishes. It’s why the BIG is willing to wait. They know ND will add a lot to the TV contract .
RobertM320
Green Wave

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... landscape/

Someone earlier posted that Jim Phillips seems like a guy that Tulane could talk to about a path to ACC membership. Even if the administration doesn't take the steps, what if a high end booster could get in his ear? All we're looking for is information. Is there even a path for us to the ACC? Let us know the path, then we can work to change the administration's position. I realize that's us doing their work for them, but I really don't care HOW it happens.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... f-revenue/

So basically we need to stop lying to ourselves and telling us there is still a thing such as college football. These will basically just become NFL semi-pro leagues, because they truly have nothing to do with college.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
anEngineer
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:34 pm https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... f-revenue/

So basically we need to stop lying to ourselves and telling us there is still a thing such as college football. These will basically just become NFL semi-pro leagues, because they truly have nothing to do with college.
Yes. The top 30-35 programs are playing NFL minor league and the rest are playing traditional amateur college football.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:00 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:34 pm https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... f-revenue/

Yes. The top 30-35 programs are playing NFL minor league and the rest are playing traditional amateur college football.
No doubt. And it’s becoming increasingly likely that the lesser schools may just throw in the towel, and come up with a whole new set of amateur-oriented rules. We can call it D3 or FCS or whatever, but it will be a complete break from the semi-pro P2+3. And many currently hanging on to their bottom feeding P2+3 position will give it up, and slide on down to the new whatever.
The Cover Charge is just getting too high for most schools.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Those bottom feeders aren't going to give up when they are getting $70-$80 million dollar payouts.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:08 am Those bottom feeders aren't going to give up when they are getting $70-$80 million dollar payouts.
They won't be getting that by then.
MicMan
Swell

On the plus side, Tulane will have the nicest stadium in Division III !!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:21 am
winwave wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:08 am Those bottom feeders aren't going to give up when they are getting $70-$80 million dollar payouts.
Yes they will. Those elite teams need them to pad their records.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:14 pm
They'll be able to beat up on them of a lot less than a full share. The process is already underway. First the P5 conferences are consuming themselves. Once that stage has run its course, they'll start to consume their conference mates in the form of disproportionate revenue sharing--either based on performance or eyeballs--which tends to go hand-in-hand anyway.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:10 pm

They'll be able to beat up on them of a lot less than a full share. The process is already underway. First the P5 conferences are consuming themselves. Once that stage has run its course, they'll start to consume their conference mates in the form of disproportionate revenue sharing--either based on performance or eyeballs--which tends to go hand-in-hand anyway.
Not going to happen that way no matter how bad you want it to happen. The big boys will be plenty happy with their $75 million and won't have a problem sharing.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:10 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:10 pm

Not going to happen that way no matter how bad you want it to happen. The big boys will be plenty happy with their $75 million and won't have a problem sharing.
Yea, that's right. That's the way they have behaved all along in raiding other conferences to enhance their TV revenue--a strategy that can't go much further. They were happy at $25MM, then $45MM, now $75MM, next up $95MM--it will happen no matter how badly you hope it doesn't. There is no way that the Boston Colleges of the world deserve what Clemson gets, or the Vanderbilts deserve what Alabama gets. It's just a matter of when, not if.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's not about being deserving. It's about the elites not wanting to start having 8-4,7-5 or worse records. Don't care if it happens or not. Just saying it's not going to.
Wave755
Tsunami

Can UC Regents Force UCLA to Pay Cal?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/can-u ... fadb908f37