USC and direction school UCLA

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Official announcement just made--both to the Big 10 in 2024. So much for the future of the PAC12. Another example of a conference that stuck with the status quo, until the status quo stuck them.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

The Big 12 will now finish off the PAC 12 by cherry picking some of the remnants. Tulane, Memphis and SMU can forget the Big 12, which will fill out to 16 teams with some PAC 12 leftovers.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:40 pm lookin' eastward
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... 12-big-ten
All those west coast teams will now be looking eastward. That may end up being Tulane's only salvation--if we can just get some administrative leadership.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:40 pm lookin' eastward
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... 12-big-ten
Like the quote says, the PAC12 just got "Sooner'd and Horn'd", but at least they haven't been Tulane'd.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:54 pm The Big 12 will now finish off the PAC 12 by cherry picking some of the remnants. Tulane, Memphis and SMU can forget the Big 12, which will fill out to 16 teams with some PAC 12 leftovers.
U may be correct, but I think the PAC-12 will grab SMU and OK State to replace usc and ucla...boise state may have an outside chance in place of OK State, but the pac12 now needs TV sets to offset the loss of the LA market..hell the pac12 should take SMU, UTSA, Ok State and Memphis State to off set the LA market....
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Paul FineBomb predicts two "super conferences" the SEC and Big10, everyone else will be irrelevant
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

You would think San Diego state would finally get the call for the pac 12.

The acc will lose fsu/Miami/Clemson.

It’s possible for Tulane to try and slip in there with the small private school remnants. The acc would be a great fit with true pier schools (hopefully West Virginia hillbillies will leave too). We could get some sort of private school, higher academics conference people have always wanted.

What will happen to Stanford ? You would think Oregon is absolutely trying to find there way out as well, with Arizona z& Colorado hoping to as well.
anEngineer
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:21 pm Paul FineBomb predicts two "super conferences" the SEC and Big10, everyone else will be irrelevant
I agree and that's why I continue to think that all this belly-aching about getting into a P5 is ultimately meaningless. There are going to be 25-35 teams playing semi-pro football with a university logo and everyone else will go back to playing amateur football. The only real question is how they eventually kick out the hangers-on like Vandy, Missouri, Indiana, Rutgers, etc. They probably need to abandon the conferences and re-form.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:58 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:54 pm The Big 12 will now finish off the PAC 12 by cherry picking some of the remnants. Tulane, Memphis and SMU can forget the Big 12, which will fill out to 16 teams with some PAC 12 leftovers.
U may be correct, but I think the PAC-12 will grab SMU and OK State to replace usc and ucla...boise state may have an outside chance in place of OK State, but the pac12 now needs TV sets to offset the loss of the LA market..hell the pac12 should take SMU, UTSA, Ok State and Memphis State to off set the LA market....
I think the verdict is in, the PAC12 TV market is dead. I can't see many schools, other than some desperate ones like SMU, Tulane, Rice and any MWC team, willing to sign onto whatever the PAC12 can offer. Okie State would be crazy to leave for the PAC 12 now--they would have a few years ago, and even several months ago, but not now. It's like who's going to draw first, the Big 12 or PAC 12. Big 12 ought to try to deliver the head shot by getting Oregon, Washington, and Stanford. Add CSU to be grouped with K State, KU and TT, and the Big 12 is set with 16 teams with four functional pods.

All the P's will now go to 16 teams, with the SEC and Big10 already there. ACC will need one or two more schools, depending on what ND does. Pod play should help control travel expenses, and improve regional rivalries. The P conference invitational is just about over. And the next development will be when the P conferences start disproportionate revenue sharing.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:53 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:21 pm Paul FineBomb predicts two "super conferences" the SEC and Big10, everyone else will be irrelevant
I agree and that's why I continue to think that all this belly-aching about getting into a P5 is ultimately meaningless. There are going to be 25-35 teams playing semi-pro football with a university logo and everyone else will go back to playing amateur football. The only real question is how they eventually kick out the hangers-on like Vandy, Missouri, Indiana, Rutgers, etc. They probably need to abandon the conferences and re-form.
That may well be true. But before the P5 parasites get kicked out, they'll first get to enjoy receiving lower revenue shares--that may keep them in the P5 for a while longer. But what you predict is quite believable. Tulane has clearly opted to move down to the new lower, amateur and low-cost division.
anEngineer
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:09 pm
That may well be true. But before the P5 parasites get kicked out, they'll first get to enjoy receiving lower revenue shares--that may keep them in the P5 for a while longer. But what you predict is quite believable. Tulane has clearly opted to move down to the new lower, amateur and low-cost division.
I don't think it's moving down. It's staying where we are, and 50 of the schools that are currently in P5s will come down to us. Remove the huge money that those 50 are getting as hangers-on and they are no different than us. It may also ultimately end up where players aren't even required to go to class (similar to the courts imposing NIL). It's just semi-pro football with university logos so they can use those stadiums and pretend there is some sort of school element. It won't take much longer to get there.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:44 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:09 pm

I don't think it's moving down. It's staying where we are, and 50 of the schools that are currently in P5s will come down to us. Remove the huge money that those 50 are getting as hangers-on and they are no different than us. It may also ultimately end up where players aren't even required to go to class (similar to the courts imposing NIL). It's just semi-pro football with university logos so they can use those stadiums and pretend there is some sort of school element. It won't take much longer to get there.
Whatever the new "amateur" division will be, and irrespective of how many teams migrate into it, Tulane has proven it will find a way to descend into the bottom half of it. Many of those former P5 schools will already have vastly better facilities than what we have. And more importantly, will have administrations that have demonstrated far more competence than anything Tulane has had since Sheldon Hackney.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It's not going to be anywhere near 50 P's dropping down with us G's. More than likely you'll end up with 4 conferences of 16, SEC, ACC, B1G, Big 12 will total 64. Guess how many P5 schools there are right now? If you don't count Notre Dame, the number is 64. The best academic conference is probably the B1G followed by the ACC. But Tulane has demonstrated it wants to look for a rock to hide under rather than aspire to be in that number.
Last edited by DfromCT on Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern
Riptide

For that south Texas poster from Houston who has never, ever posted anything positive pertaining to Tulane, I would like to offer the following humble suggestion: To save time for any potential reader as well as cutting your typing time to a fraction, please use the following shorthand when making your posts:

Here are your shorthand choices identified by number:
  1. Tulane is a dirtbag sports school committed to losing.
  2. Fitts is an asshole administrator who could care less about sports and is responsible for all sports problems.
  3. Dannen is a lazy asshole AD (who is probably fishing) and should be fired
  4. Fritz is an incompetent asshole football coach who should be fired for insufficient wins and never having his team prepared
  5. Since you don't agree with me, you're an asshole, too.
Here is a handy list of examples to save you time:
  • When addressing the current state of the AAC, simply use: 1,2
  • The upcoming football game with UMass I would guess that you would choose: 3,4
  • Concerning the new "amateur" division with USC and UCLA: 1,2,3,4,5
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:41 pm For that south Texas poster from Houston who has never, ever posted anything positive pertaining to Tulane, I would like to offer the following humble suggestion: To save time for any potential reader as well as cutting your typing time to a fraction, please use the following shorthand when making your posts:

2. Fitts is an asshole administrator who could care less about sports and is responsible for all sports problems.
  4. Fritz is an incompetent asshole football coach who should be fired for insufficient wins and never having his team prepared
  • The upcoming football game with UMass I would guess that you would choose: 3,4
:lol: This is truly how I feel the board is now. It’s the same 4ish talking points that are now posted in every single thread that could be pertaining to anything. It’s not thought provoking, it’s not entertaining and it isn’t bringing about change.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:48 pm You would think San Diego state would finally get the call for the pac 12.

The acc will lose fsu/Miami/Clemson.

It’s possible for Tulane to try and slip in there with the small private school remnants. The acc would be a great fit with true pier schools (hopefully West Virginia hillbillies will leave too). We could get some sort of private school, higher academics conference people have always wanted.

What will happen to Stanford ? You would think Oregon is absolutely trying to find there way out as well, with Arizona z& Colorado hoping to as well.
Exactly how I see it. The PAC-12 grabs the Florida schools from the ACC plus two others to get to 16.
Tulane needs to start pushing for the ACC. This is our last chance. I see the window closing once the P5 becomes the P4 (16).
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:41 pm For that south Texas poster from Houston who has never, ever posted anything positive pertaining to Tulane, I would like to offer the following humble suggestion: To save time for any potential reader as well as cutting your typing time to a fraction, please use the following shorthand when making your posts:

Old material Lantern. I used to be very positive on Tulane, but that was 20+ years ago when there was something to be positive about. I'll become positive again, if there is ever a reason to be positive. In the meantime, you can go ahead and ignore the past 25 years if you like. There is a board for daydreamers who refuse to see the ugly reality that Tulane has been since the arrival of Cowen. Tulane is mismanaged on several fronts--and becomes more irrelevant with each passing year. Continue to delude yourself if it makes you feel better.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:01 pm

:lol: This is truly how I feel the board is now. It’s the same 4ish talking points that are now posted in every single thread that could be pertaining to anything. It’s not thought provoking, it’s not entertaining and it isn’t bringing about change.
But it is describing the situation we are in.
Tulane1111
High Tide

Be interesting to see what happens with the ACC, adding West Coast schools is just a brutal travel schedule for Sports that play multiple games a week.

So options are limited, if they lose schools… Cinci & UCF have ink on paper so probably cant afford another break up fee for another decade.

Depending on what direction some of those ACC Presidents want to go; it would seem SMU, Tulane, Army, Navy & Rice could be good candidates. Private/Academy schools, larger markets.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

If I am the big12, I am calling Colorado, Arizona State, Arizona, Utah, USF and Memphis...all fit geographically
Show Me
Tsunami

I thought this move would open up a spot for Tulane in a better league. Unfortunately it looks more like the SEC is the NFC and the Big 10 is going to be the AFC. Apparently there’s a lot of outlets seeing each league having 20 teams each with 4 separate divisions very similar to the NFL. The TV contract with that would be astronomical. They will have their own playoff system similar to the NFL. The eventual winners of those conferences will face off for the D1 title. Looks like it maybe just for FB and MBB for starters. This means that the rest of the P5’s and G5’s will be relegated to a Tier 2 level of sorts. It will be the end of Athletic support for many that don’t make the Tier 1 level should that happen. Another step backwards for so called amateur athletics. A move to be more like professional sports.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican