USC and direction school UCLA

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:56 pm It's not about being deserving. It's about the elites not wanting to start having 8-4,7-5 or worse records. Don't care if it happens or not. Just saying it's not going to.
They're still going to have that. Can't have everyone play 9 conference games and go 9-3 or 10-2. Its already started in the SEC. You see damn good teams go 7-5 and finish 5th in their division. They're putting up with it now, but its going to get worse.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:12 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:56 pm It's not about being deserving. It's about the elites not wanting to start having 8-4,7-5 or worse records. Don't care if it happens or not. Just saying it's not going to.
They're still going to have that. Can't have everyone play 9 conference games and go 9-3 or 10-2. Its already started in the SEC. You see damn good teams go 7-5 and finish 5th in their division. They're putting up with it now, but its going to get worse.
They are going to go to 10 game conference schedules. The elite teams currently don't go 10-2, 9-3 0r 7-5. So once they go to the Big 2 they will keep the Vandy's,et all so they don't descend to 10-2,9-3 or 7-5 or worse.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

College football as we know it is "evolving" into the Big One.
A fully professional league. Why do we need academia involved with this process? Let kids get drafted at 18 and developed through a professional development structure. If a school wants to field a football & Men's Basketball team let them, but without NIL.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:56 am College football as we know it is "evolving" into the Big One.
A fully professional league. Why do we need academia involved with this process? Let kids get drafted at 18 and developed through a professional development structure. If a school wants to field a football & Men's Basketball team let them, but without NIL.
Correct.
Plus nobody paying to see a Harvard vs Yale chess match either.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

wave97 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:56 am College football as we know it is "evolving" into the Big One.
That’s likely what’s going to happen. Most the schools will split away, restore amateurism, and decide they shouldn’t be supporting the NFL development system.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's what should happen. The problem is the courts have already ruled that NIL is here to stay.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

A fully professional league. Why do we need academia involved with this process? Let kids get drafted at 18 and developed through a professional develop ment structure. If a school wants to field a football & Men's Basketball team let them, but without NIL.
Plenty sportspeople projecting the slow death of college football. Cal. Gov is pissed that UCLA is not taking Cal along. UCLA's athletic program was 100 million in the red. This move was their lifeline but Gov wants them to pay Cal athletic department millions of that TV money.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:09 am It's what should happen. The problem is the courts have already ruled that NIL is here to stay.
True, NIL is here to stay. And at the P2 level it will be one hell of an arms race. But for all the schools that downshift, even many of the p3, I doubt the alums will be willing to serve up large NIL numbers--certainly not enough to make much of a difference.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bigschtick wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:50 pm
A fully professional league. Why do we need academia involved with this process? Let kids get drafted at 18 and developed through a professional develop ment structure. If a school wants to field a football & Men's Basketball team let them, but without NIL.
Plenty sportspeople projecting the slow death of college football. Cal. Gov is pissed that UCLA is not taking Cal along. UCLA's athletic program was 100 million in the red. This move was their lifeline but Gov wants them to pay Cal athletic department millions of that TV money.
Even some current and retired big-name coaches are predicting Armageddon. The Greed Machine may have gone too far this time. I think the formation of the P2 will undoubtedly dampen overall interest in college football, and ultimately the number of eyeballs that bother to watch it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yep. That's why I am focused on enjoying our last year in a true D-1 conference.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:07 pm
Even some current and retired big-name coaches are predicting Armageddon. The Greed Machine may have gone too far this time. I think the formation of the P2 will undoubtedly dampen overall interest in college football, and ultimately the number of eyeballs that bother to watch it.
Yep. I haven’t really found anyone that thinks it’s a good idea outside of Fox and ESPN.
Nick Saban even mentioned the reason why the NFL is so successful is because all the teams share $$ equally and have salary caps. The colleges will not have any of that.
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:49 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:07 pm

Yep. I haven’t really found anyone that thinks it’s a good idea outside of Fox and ESPN.
Nick Saban even mentioned the reason why the NFL is so successful is because all the teams share $$ equally and have salary caps. The colleges will not have any of that.
They share with 32 teams, not 100+
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:13 pm Big10 lookin' for expansion value
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... conference
Two more probably from the PAC 12.
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:38 pm
That had to always be the plan once they made a deal with USC and UCLA. No one wants to be traveling across the country for every conference game.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:59 pm
That had to always be the plan once they made a deal with USC and UCLA. No one wants to be traveling across the country for every conference game.
Yep
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:21 pm
anEngineer wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:59 pm
YepMarket
I actually think Kansas, becasue of the KC media market, is in play for the big10 and I would not overlook Colorado, becasue of the Denver market and Mountain time zone...if the ACC were smart they would grab Kansas asap along with WVA...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

The 32 teams that make the final cut will have the added benefit of not attending any classes.
They're going to have to make a transition to full on development football while leaving behind academia..
Universities need to get out of the entertainment business for their own credibility.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Very interesting article. Warren is about as opposite of Gibson Hall as one can get—succeed or fail; view change as an opportunity or a problem; grow your fan base or not—I guess we can forget running with the Big10 schools. His comment about USC’s and UCLA’s full share is also revealing —I think Rutgers and Maryland are still trying to reach their full share target.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

big10 all for 16 team playoff, as long as it is all big10 teams
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ll-playoff
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:52 am big10 all for 16 team playoff, as long as it is all big10 teams
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ll-playoff
Like their overrepresentation in March Madness each year. A slew of Big 10 teams always gets invited, and the bulk of them are gone by the end of the second round.
wave97
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:29 am
Very interesting article. Warren is about as opposite of Gibson Hall as one can get—succeed or fail; view change as an opportunity or a problem; grow your fan base or not—I guess we can forget running with the Big10 schools. His comment about USC’s and UCLA’s full share is also revealing —I think Rutgers and Maryland are still trying to reach their full share target.
This fool is acting like conferences will have a purpose to fill going forward. The magic number is 32! You can call it whatever you want. Most of the elite talent will be processed and served up to its masters: Broadcast companies & the NFL.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave
Tsunami

But what does the NCAA have to say about all this? 😂😂