Buddy Teevens

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Wave755
Tsunami

JTLiuzza wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Buddy did the Late Show last night with Stephen Colbert. He's going to be rich! Helped invent a mobile tackling dummy.
http://mobile.vnews.com/home/18932745-1 ... rt-tonight
Teevens will be bringing the Mobile Virtual Player, a prototype for a remote-control tackling dummy he’s helped develop that has been attracting national attention this fall for a possible application in reducing live-contact drills and concussions.
Teevens obtained a provisional patent last December for their automated tackling dummy, called the Mobile Tackling Target, to replace the static pop-up ones now used by players. The team hopes to hold an official patent within the year for the device, which last spring also landed them in the top three for the most inventive undergraduate student invention at the ‪Lemelson-MIT National Collegiate Student Prize competition. - See more at: http://engineering.dartmouth.edu/magazi ... ries#.dpuf
In related news, the Teevens' coached Dartmouth squad engaged 11 of the mobile dummies in a scrimmage. After a strong showing early on by Teevens' bunch, the dummies overtook them late to win by a score of 10-3. :D

I just had to. It was too easy.
:cheers: :fastclap: :lolgreen:

GreenLantern
Riptide

TPS lobs the softball pitch and JTL hits it out of the park.

:)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bham Wave wrote:It bothers me when I read quotes from former AD's and they talk about how Buddy Teevens walked into a "no win situation" or whatever the heck he said. Isn't it the AD's job to make it a winnable situation. It is like RD now talking about all the things we are doing to improve the athletic department. Well why in the heck weren't we doing these things 10 years ago pre Katrina. They talk like someone else was doing everything wrong when they were the ones running the show.

If Kevin White felt like Tulane had no chance to do anything then he should have stopped drawing a paycheck. Obviously he was wrong because shortly after he left we went undefeated.
And Kevin White went on to become one of the most respected AD's in the nation. Dr. White did a great job at ND before moving on to Duke. Don't you think that the AD might be saying kind things after one of his hires got canned? Just a little bit of grace, perhaps, as he's showing Buddy the door?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They just ran an ad w/him during MNF about how to practice w/out hitting.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:They just ran an ad w/him during MNF about how to practice w/out hitting.

it has been said, "You Play, how U Practice"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave QB
Swell

Found this old article interesting.

m.sfgate.com/sports/article/PROFILE-Bud ... 845274.php
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote:Found this old article interesting.

m.sfgate.com/sports/article/PROFILE-Bud ... 845274.php
Cleaned up the link for you, Wave QB. http://m.sfgate.com/sports/article/PROF ... 845274.php

A fun article to read but just more "Buddy Ball B.S.," water seeks it own level, so did Teevens, he belongs at the Ivy League. I can't find it now but many years ago I read a San Fran article where Teevens ripped Tulane from A to Z and said if we had "let him coach his team" he would have had the same success as Bowden/RR for the 1997-98 seasons. :lolgreen:

Willie Fritz is running a G5 offense, unlike Teevens & "Buffet Bob" Toledo who ran respectively a Power I & WCO. Let's hope WF will in the long run be successful with an option offense, although equaling the success of Bowden/RR is just not in the cards for a today's G5 team.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Didn't Tulane market / PR as "The Buddy System "
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
sader24
Tsunami

Yep.....Can't Beat the System.
sader24
Tsunami

Winning is the Name of the Game, and it's Easy to Understand......The Buddy System, Can't Beat the System.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It was catchy and well done. Unfortunately the play on the field never came close to matching it.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

It did in most games for a quarter in 1994, for a half in 1995, then 3 quarters in 1996. Then the coaching used the talent accumulated better in 1997 and 1998.
lurker123
Swell

Teevens may be the nicest guy I've ever known at Tulane. He and his staff could recruit ultimately to Bowden's benefit.

Why Teevens lost so many games after half-time, as JaxWave notes, is beyond my explanation. If he had stayed at Tulane, I don't think Tulane is undefeated in 1998. He bombed at Stanford too.

On edit. I don't know what the hyperlinks are above for half-time and others. I do not lead that interesting a life. I think I've been hacked by the Russians!!
sader24
Tsunami

Having watched or listened to every game
In his career at Tulane his late game failures were fairly simple to diagnose. 1) His teams were nowhere near the shape and condition they needed to be. This was clearly evident after watching Bowdens teams and comparing the two. 1996 should have been a 6-8 win team but simply couldn't finish games. 2) he didn't put Shaun King in the right system to showcase his offensive talents as well as the guys around him. We ran a lot of 1 back 2 te 2 wr formations with King under center. Rarely did we take advantage of Kings ability to run and rarely did we spread the field out enough. He tried to pound Sowell and Dartez a lot which worked from time to time but it always seemed like our defense held for 3 quarters then fell apart bc we simply weren't moving the ball enough and not putting up points. Nobody has ever questioned his recruiting, but in the end he may have been too nice of a guy to get it done as a coach and lacking the offensive vision. Pretty much everyone knew when Bowden took the job Shaun King was going to be a star, at least I did, you could see flashes of the talent, but he was uncomfortable in the System.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He was a very nice guy and as they say nice guys finish last. He wasn't a competent coach at this level. He's fine for the Ivy League but he didn't cut it here or at Stanford.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:He was a very nice guy and as they say nice guys finish last. He wasn't a competent coach at this level. He's fine for the Ivy League but he didn't cut it here or at Stanford.
After leaving Tulane, wasn't he the OC at Florida under Coach Superior ?
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:He was a very nice guy and as they say nice guys finish last. He wasn't a competent coach at this level. He's fine for the Ivy League but he didn't cut it here or at Stanford.
After leaving Tulane, wasn't he the OC at Florida under Coach Superior ?
Nope, but I do recall he was Florida's running backs coach and then asst. OC/TE coach for a while under Steve Spurrier.
Jaxwave
Swell

The OC under Spurrier simply had that title but Spurrier ran the offense and called the plays.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Spurrier talked up Teevens recruiting while he was there.
Wave QB
Swell

Bringin' out the system,
Ain't gonna be no chumps,
Only one goal in mind,
Gonna stomp some rumps,

Buddy Buddy Buddy;
Buddy is the man,

sader24 wrote:Winning is the Name of the Game, and it's Easy to Understand......The Buddy System, Can't Beat the System.
It's going to change the way we play football at Tulane.

The Buddy System

Yup. I loved it and was sold after the SMU game.

(There is another verse where where he says, "all you disbelievers", but I don't remember what to complete it.)
Wave QB
Swell

I sure wish someone can post the commercial.
JerseyWave
Riptide

One thing with Teevens at Tulane, he had to play some absolutely brutal schedules. I think one year he had
Alabama (Gene Stallings)
Florida St (B Bowden)
Boston College (Tom Coughlin)
North Carolina (Mack Brown)
Miss St (Jackie Sherril).
LSU

Compare that to the schedules of the last 10 years. Of course Tulane was an independent back then.
Eaglewave
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:One thing with Teevens at Tulane, he had to play some absolutely brutal schedules. I think one year he had
Alabama (Gene Stallings)
Florida St (B Bowden)
Boston College (Tom Coughlin)
North Carolina (Mack Brown)
Miss St (Jackie Sherril).
LSU

Compare that to the schedules of the last 10 years. Of course Tulane was an independent back then.
Yup. That was brutal.
Ball Sumrall!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

sader24 wrote:Having watched or listened to every game
In his career at Tulane his late game failures were fairly simple to diagnose. 1) His teams were nowhere near the shape and condition they needed to be. This was clearly evident after watching Bowdens teams and comparing the two. 1996 should have been a 6-8 win team but simply couldn't finish games. 2) he didn't put Shaun King in the right system to showcase his offensive talents as well as the guys around him. We ran a lot of 1 back 2 te 2 wr formations with King under center. Rarely did we take advantage of Kings ability to run and rarely did we spread the field out enough. He tried to pound Sowell and Dartez a lot which worked from time to time but it always seemed like our defense held for 3 quarters then fell apart bc we simply weren't moving the ball enough and not putting up points. Nobody has ever questioned his recruiting, but in the end he may have been too nice of a guy to get it done as a coach and lacking the offensive vision. Pretty much everyone knew when Bowden took the job Shaun King was going to be a star, at least I did, you could see flashes of the talent, but he was uncomfortable in the System.
Another reason he lost games in the 2H was that he was the only coach I've ever seen who would change his offensive attack in the 3Q or 4Q even though the opponent had not figured out how to stop it. I remember a number of games where our rushing attack chewed up the opponent ( Dupre was often the running back), the opponent never really stopped it, but Teevans suddenly stopped running and started passing, ineffectively. Not only did the passing game stop our offensive, but slowed the clock so the other team could come back and beat us. It was maddening.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:
Another reason he lost games in the 2H was that he was the only coach I've ever seen who would change his offensive attack in the 3Q or 4Q even though the opponent had not figured out how to stop it. I remember a number of games where our rushing attack chewed up the opponent ( Dupre was often the running back), the opponent never really stopped it, but Teevans suddenly stopped running and started passing, ineffectively. Not only did the passing game stop our offensive, but slowed the clock so the other team could come back and beat us. It was maddening.
I think you are thinking of Brad Ducre. We didn't have a skill player named Dupre under Teevens, and Ducre averaged 2-3 carries/game from 91 to 94. Ducre totalled 233 yards rushing on 73 carries. Nobody was close to 1000 yards rushing under Teevens.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V