Buddy Teevens

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You may be thinking of Dartez.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Another reason he lost games in the 2H was that he was the only coach I've ever seen who would change his offensive attack in the 3Q or 4Q even though the opponent had not figured out how to stop it. I remember a number of games where our rushing attack chewed up the opponent ( Dupre was often the running back), the opponent never really stopped it, but Teevans suddenly stopped running and started passing, ineffectively. Not only did the passing game stop our offensive, but slowed the clock so the other team could come back and beat us. It was maddening.
I think you are thinking of Brad Ducre. We didn't have a skill player named Dupre under Teevens, and Ducre averaged 2-3 carries/game from 91 to 94. Ducre totalled 233 yards rushing on 73 carries. Nobody was close to 1000 yards rushing under Teevens.
Probably was Ducre. I remember he had an unusually vertical running style, but he could really thrash through the line. Teevens didn't use him that much, not that he shouldn't have. With Buddy pulling the plug on our running game, it is no surprise we never had a 1,000 rusher during his year, we also didn't have many wins. Buddy stopped our offense far more often than our opponents ever did.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:Found this old article interesting.

m.sfgate.com/sports/article/PROFILE-Bud ... 845274.php
Cleaned up the link for you, Wave QB. http://m.sfgate.com/sports/article/PROF ... 845274.php

A fun article to read but just more "Buddy Ball B.S.," water seeks it own level, so did Teevens, he belongs at the Ivy League. I can't find it now but many years ago I read a San Fran article where Teevens ripped Tulane from A to Z and said if we had "let him coach his team" he would have had the same success as Bowden/RR for the 1997-98 seasons. :lolgreen:

Willie Fritz is running a G5 offense, unlike Teevens & "Buffet Bob" Toledo who ran respectively a Power I & WCO. Let's hope WF will in the long run be successful with an option offense, although equaling the success of Bowden/RR is just not in the cards for a today's G5 team.
Although that article is old, I am pretty disappointed in buddy saying that PR was embarrassing to him. I mean damn. Tulane really went out to promote the buddy system.
Ball Sumrall!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Front Page NYTimes.
Besides banning tackling in practice Buddy recently hired Callie Brownson as offensive quality control coach, making her the first full-time female coach in the history of Division I football.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/spor ... mouth.html
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ahhhh..."The Buddy System" is alive and well ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
swampnik
Surge

Buddy System at 6-0 in high gear and spreading the word on safety. Buddy ball at its finest!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Back in town to help out with the MPA.
https://www.nola.com/sports/rod_walker/ ... 8174a.html
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

In spite of his recruiting he failed for a lack of offensive acumen. When a coach has a struggling offense says we are cutting down the playbook and simplifying it just makes the job of the DC of the opponents that much easier. Should have been spreading the field and getting guys open instead of going big and trying to play smash mouth with Tulane linemen.
torbida
Surge

winwave wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:28 am You may be thinking of Dartez.
Jerald "Soul Train" Sowell was the other back.I remember the 96 season where leads were blown against Houston, Southern Miss and Louisville because Teevans switched from what worked or got Uber conservative. Recruited well but questionable coach
Wave755
Tsunami

I always have felt the 1996 team had as much talent and possibly more talent than either 1997 or 1998 teams. And, the backs were Jerald Sowell and Jamaican Dartez.

All squandered by Teevens who later did nothing but “bad mouth” Tulane when he was at Stanford until Stanford too realized the mistake it had made for his hire.
Show Me
Tsunami

Probably never be a nicer coach in all of FB. Unfortunately nice guys usually finish last.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Coach Teevens injured in a bicycle accident. No information available on his condition.

https://footballscoop.com/news/dartmout ... spitalized
Eaglewave
Swell

Hope he recovers swiftly.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Certainly hope he a full and speedy recovery.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Good guy, hoping he is OK.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Great news he’s out of critical condition.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:09 amGreat news he’s out of critical condition
TPS, I’m sure you’ve been following this closely compared to most of us. The accident must have been life threatening or some possible paralysis for you to say great news after this report of his leg being amputated. This was shocking to me and I hope and pray he recovers from this terrible ordeal.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:30 am
tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:09 amGreat news he’s out of critical condition.
TPS, I’m sure you’ve been following this closely compared to most of us. The accident must have been life threatening or some possible paralysis for you to say great news after this report of his leg being amputated. This was shocking to me and I hope and pray he recovers from this terrible ordeal.
Yes he was in critical condition. From what I was told he’s lucky to have survived.
It’s unfortunate and tragic.

Encouraging signs:
He is alert and communicating with us and ready for transfer to a premier rehab facility to continue healing.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

How awful for him and his family. I wish him well with his recovery. It will be difficult but he's a strong willed person.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Best wishes to Buddy and his family!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Dave breslin
Swell

Just heard that Buddy was in an accident and lost his leg. Even though he didn’t win here he was a classy guy. Just tried to microcoach and Ivy League ball doesn’t work in the south
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

golfnut69
Wild Pelican