Jaxon Smolik De-Commits

Talk about the latest recruits here.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Three star QB from Iowa:

Last edited by winwave on Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Pepper
Swell

Oh shit! There is another rooster in the hen house.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Jaxwave
Swell

I gotta be totally honest here.
1. On this tape, this kid looks like the real deal which means
2. After he plays more this coming season, offers will flood in from P5 schools.
I don’t need to tell you what that means. Just remember a lot of these early commits who are borderline P5 prospects will lock up a spot while waiting on better offers.
Hope I’m wrong here.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He only played 4 games because he suffered a broken collarbone in case anyone was wondering. He did well before that.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Greeniegb
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:04 pm I gotta be totally honest here.
2. After he plays more this coming season, offers will flood in from P5 schools.
I don’t need to tell you what that means. Just remember a lot of these early commits who are borderline P5 prospects will lock up a spot while waiting on better offers.
Hope I’m wrong here.
Jaxon Smolik is not ranked by 247Sports, but he does have interest from both Iowa and Iowa State, according to the recruiting site. He split time … Tulane is his only FBS offer??? Sounds familar except someone else won two Texas State Championships.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Houma de Wave
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:04 pm I gotta be totally honest here.
Hope I’m wrong here.
It’s being reported today that a PAC-12 school has put an offer on the table for Smolik.
Pepper
Swell

Wow Pac 12! That would be something considering our current 3rd string QB only had offers from Stephen F Austin & McNeese.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Pepper wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:17 pm Wow Pac 12! That would be something considering our current 3rd string QB only had offers from Stephen F Austin & McNeese.
U are correct...Steve Foley , if memory serves had NO offers...Baker Mayfield was a "walk on"...Stetson Bennett @UGA was a "walk on".... so considering the 3rd string Tulane QB had offers from SFA and McNeese, he looks highly recruited
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Cal has offered him. He got a late invite to a camp for elite QB's and did well there.
Greeniegb
Swell

winwave wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:17 pm Cal has offered him. He got a late invite to a camp for elite QB's and did well there.
His rating of 86 equals, Kai Horton and Ibietas rating, Pratt was 84
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for pointing out how underrated Pratt was. The ratings services missed out big time on him.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:03 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:17 pm Cal has offered him. He got a late invite to a camp for elite QB's and did well there.
His rating of 86 equals, Kai Horton and Ibietas rating, Pratt was 84
Unbelievable Greeniegb. Do you really think anybody cares about what their high school ratings were--especially if the ratings are a whole 2 pts apart? Get real.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:51 pm
Pepper wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:17 pm Wow Pac 12! That would be something considering our current 3rd string QB only had offers from Stephen F Austin & McNeese.
U are correct...Steve Foley , if memory serves had NO offers...Baker Mayfield was a "walk on"...Stetson Bennett @UGA was a "walk on".... so considering the 3rd string Tulane QB had offers from SFA and McNeese, he looks highly recruited
Many decades ago a good young staff could turn a program around in a year or two. There was more identifiable "talent" than the blue blood programs could sign. Particularly after the 85 scholarship cap.
An ever diminishing talent pool is not helping the top to bottom competitiveness. 90% of programs don't stand a chance in hell to identify, recruit & develop top rate talent.
I watched an NFL game from the early 80's yesterday, what surprised me was how many players there were on the rosters who came from programs like Stephen S. Austin. Whenever a player made a play the booth crew were quick to point out from which college the player came from.
Greeniegb
Swell

Wow, Pratt only had IVY League offers, Ibieta had better offers than Pratt. Facts are that Texas A&M, Clemson, Colorado, Houston, Kansas and Baylor had interest in Horton on their recruiting pages, but when he signed with us they backed off. Big boys looked at Horton but we beat them to the punch and his parents pushed him to keep his commitment. Facts both Rivals and 247 Sports had Horton on their Under Radar Quarterback list!!! Now deal with facts not misinformation. Facts Smolik is on par with the ratings of all 3 Quarterbacks on our roster!!! Not better than any of the 3.

-From University of Kansas recruiting site: KAI HORTON, QUARTERBACK
Kai Horton
2021 QB Kai Horton (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
It's my opinion that one of the most under-recruited players in the state of Texas is Carthage High School three-star quarterback Kai Horton, a 6-foot-4, 215-pound prospect with a stellar 2019 season under his belt. In his first season as a starter,

https://clemsonsportstalk.com/players/11589/kai-horton

https://texags.com/players/13391/kai-horton

CU Buffs 2021 Quarterback Recruiting Big Board
Kai Horton
Horton is a big 6-foot-4, 215-pound quarterback out of Carthage (Texas). He burst onto the scene during his junior season and first year as the starter. He threw for over 3,700 yards and 49 touchdowns with six interceptions while leading his team to a 16-0 state championship in Texas 4A-DI. His only offer is from Stephen F. Austin. He is a very balanced thrower on tape, he's calm in the pocket and is great at throwing in rhythm and on time. He has a knack for throwing balls with the right amount of touch.

Rivals:
https://n.rivals.com/news/south-central ... -the-radar
KAI HORTON
SIGNED LOI
12/18/2020
TULANE
6'4" | 215 LBS | PRO QB | 2021
CARTHAGE
CARTHAGE, TX
Horton recently completed his first season as Carthage’s starting quarterback. The two-sport standout finished 16-0 and closed the year out with a Class 4A D-1 state championship. Horton completed better than 60 percent of his passes for 3,741 yards, 49 touchdowns compared to six interceptions.

The East Texas standout possesses an impressive frame (6-foot-4, 215 pounds) and on tape impresses with his ability to stand tall in the pocket, throw downhill and outside the numbers, has good accuracy and tends to place the ball where only his receivers can make plays. Horton also throws well on the run and has good arm strength and his calm demeanor is noticeable.
Greeniegb
Swell

Greeniegb wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:52 pm
Wow, Pratt only had IVY League offers, Ibieta had better offers than Pratt. Facts are that Texas A&M, Clemson, Colorado, Houston, Kansas and Baylor had interest in Horton on their recruiting pages, but when he signed with us they backed off. Big boys looked at Horton but we beat them to the punch and his parents pushed him to keep his commitment. Facts both Rivals and 247 Sports had Horton on their Under Radar Quarterback list!!! Now deal with facts not misinformation. Facts Smolik is on par with the ratings of all 3 Quarterbacks on our roster!!! Not better than any of the 3.

-From University of Kansas recruiting site: KAI HORTON, QUARTERBACK
Kai Horton
2021 QB Kai Horton (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
It's my opinion that one of the most under-recruited players in the state of Texas is Carthage High School three-star quarterback Kai Horton, a 6-foot-4, 215-pound prospect with a stellar 2019 season under his belt. In his first season as a starter,

https://clemsonsportstalk.com/players/11589/kai-horton

https://texags.com/players/13391/kai-horton

CU Buffs 2021 Quarterback Recruiting Big Board
Kai Horton
Horton is a big 6-foot-4, 215-pound quarterback out of Carthage (Texas). He burst onto the scene during his junior season and first year as the starter. He threw for over 3,700 yards and 49 touchdowns with six interceptions while leading his team to a 16-0 state championship in Texas 4A-DI. His only offer is from Stephen F. Austin. He is a very balanced thrower on tape, he's calm in the pocket and is great at throwing in rhythm and on time. He has a knack for throwing balls with the right amount of touch.

Rivals:
https://n.rivals.com/news/south-central ... -the-radar
KAI HORTON
SIGNED LOI
12/18/2020
TULANE
6'4" | 215 LBS | PRO QB | 2021
CARTHAGE
CARTHAGE, TX
Horton recently completed his first season as Carthage’s starting quarterback. The two-sport standout finished 16-0 and closed the year out with a Class 4A D-1 state championship. Horton completed better than 60 percent of his passes for 3,741 yards, 49 touchdowns compared to six interceptions.

The East Texas standout possesses an impressive frame (6-foot-4, 215 pounds) and on tape impresses with his ability to stand tall in the pocket, throw downhill and outside the numbers, has good accuracy and tends to place the ball where only his receivers can make plays. Horton also throws well on the run and has good arm strength and his calm demeanor is noticeable.
Pepper
Swell

No need to send it twice. You do not understand the difference between Interests and offers.
Greeniegb
Swell

Pepper wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:03 am No need to send it twice. You do not understand the difference between Interests and offers.
You don't know the difference of when recruits commit, offers are frozen. The fact that he was known by these big schools is big. Because of covid and the fact that Kai changed sports from basketball to football left him under radar. Once he was known interest came in but we beat them to the punch. Anyone that looks at his video and doesn't think he looks better than Somlik is fooling themselves. Look at both videos and compare!!! From day one the fans like you ignore Kai but brag on someone like Smolik who on film does not look better.

Reasons Kai was underrated by 247 Sports:
TOP UNCOMMITTED QB - KAI HORTON
Kai Horton
Kai Horton (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
Carthage High School's Kai Horton owns the distinction of 247Sports' top-rated uncommitted QB in TXHSFB's 2021 class. Why? The 6-foot-4, 220-pounder owns a big arm in the vertical passing game and a multi-sport profile that includes his duties as a 2-guard for Carthage's playoff-caliber basketball program. And oh by the way, Horton is 28-0 as a starter for what has been the state's top Class 4A program over the past 13 years, which have seen seven state titles for Carthage.

Horton led Carthage to a 16-0 record and the 4A D-I crown as a junior. Later this week, he guides Carthage -- winner of 28 in a row, all with Horton at the helm, and 68 of its last 69 games overall -- into a 4A D-II state semifinal against Wimberley (12-3) in New Caney. Horton has yet to play an entire game this season thanks to Carthage's average victory margin of 33.4 points. Nevertheless, he enters the state semifinals with 2,470 passing yards, 27 TD throws, and only two INT's while completing about 70 percent of his passes. Horton threw for more than 3,700 yards, 49 TD's, and six INT's as a junior.

Shockingly, Horton still awaits his first FBS offer, though a number of schools may be close. He's the exact type of late-cycle prospect who could blow up after the Early Signing Period. He is undoubtedly an FBS-caliber prospect thanks to his size, arm strength, experience in high-leverage situations, and functional athleticism, which is not often showcased on the gridiron because it's not often required in Carthage's multiple pro-style offense. The sheer number of QB's in Texas in this class could also have hurt Horton's exposure to this point, though his 28-0 career record and 77-8 TD-to-INT ratio speak for themselves. He's ranked as a top 130 overall prospect in the Lone Star State's 2021 class, per the 247Sports rankings.
Smythe
Ripple

We get it. Mr. Horton is a great QB, that got overlooked for some reason. He should be starting at Alabama or Ohio St. Now, please give it a rest. I prefer a united fan base.

Mr. Pratt did play in a higher classification than Mr. Horton. I believe I read a post saying the opposite.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Smythe wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:30 pm We get it. Mr. Horton is a great QB, that got overlooked for some reason. He should be starting at Alabama or Ohio St. Now, please give it a rest. I prefer a united fan base.

Mr. Pratt did play in a higher classification than Mr. Horton. I believe I read a post saying the opposite.
don't get caught up in different Sates athletic enrollment classifications, Florida and Texas are completely different and there is no national standard to adhere to....in Florida there highest class is 8A for schools with enrollment of 2356+ that would be 5A in Texas... 6A, the highest in Texas can have over 2810 enrolled
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'll tell you what Pratt did that Horton nor anyone else did. He transferred his senior year to the highest classification in the state to a school with an incumbent starter. He won the job. That took balls. You know what else takes balls? Playing QB at Tulane behind our O-Line. Thank goodness we have Pratt.
torbida
Surge

We need both Pratt and Horton especially with the substandard O line we had last year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

torbida wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:25 pm We need both Pratt and Horton especially with the substandard O line we had last year.
No doubt. Horton did look improved in the spring game. We have to hope he's ready because he may certainly get his chance.
Greeniegb
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:33 pm
torbida wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:25 pm We need both Pratt and Horton especially with the substandard O line we had last year.
No doubt. Horton did look improved in the spring game. We have to hope he's ready because he may certainly get his chance.
Yes, no team can rely on one quarterback and competion makes all of them better including Ibieta!!!
Greeniegb
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:33 pm
Yes, no team can rely on one quarterback and competion makes all of them better including Ibieta!!!