Jay Uhlman new baseball coach hired.

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Show Me
Tsunami

ccap05 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:16 am
Show Me wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:20 am A National search got us Jewett. How has that worked out?
The only choice should be Jake. He’ll bring in Micah or Andy as assistants and keep Daniel as pitching coach. If we go with the Wofford guy it will be because Jake turned us down. I’ll give Dannen the benefit the doubt here because he’s blown his first MBB and BB coaches hires. Looks like Hunter may work out. I’m hoping Jake will be interested. It should be his job without an interview. Dannen should take a cue from LSU. Just go hire the best available that you can afford.
100% correct. My only comment is that the quicker this is done the better.
Exactly. Dannen would mend a lot of fences with Tulane baseball donors and alums and right the sinking ship. I believe Dannen has come to learn the BS Athletics has to deal with at Tulane. When he first came he didn’t have a clue. He really thought Vanderbilt and Tulane were similar situations. Jewett probably even thought that.
Obstacles are Tulane tuition and admissions, and the fact that Jake is highly paid and is likely to be a HC in the SEC on the next go around of openings.

MicMan
Swell

Quelle surprise!

Tulane board wants ex-Tulane guy for coach.

Did Shaun King play baseball? LOL
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:20 am A National search got us Jewett. How has that worked out?
The only choice should be Jake. He’ll bring in Micah or Andy as assistants and keep Daniel as pitching coach. If we go with the Wofford guy it will be because Jake turned us down. I’ll give Dannen the benefit the doubt here because he’s blown his first MBB and BB coaches hires. Looks like Hunter may work out. I’m hoping Jake will be interested. It should be his job without an interview. Dannen should take a cue from LSU. Just go hire the best available that you can afford.
A national search got us RJ. He absolutely should not be given the job without an interview. He was here for 5 years and we never made a Regional. The program deserves a true national search.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:27 am
ccap05 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:16 am
100% correct. My only comment is that the quicker this is done the better.
Exactly. Dannen would mend a lot of fences with Tulane baseball donors and alums and right the sinking ship. I believe Dannen has come to learn the BS Athletics has to deal with at Tulane. When he first came he didn’t have a clue. He really thought Vanderbilt and Tulane were similar situations. Jewett probably even thought that.
Obstacles are Tulane tuition and admissions, and the fact that Jake is highly paid and is likely to be a HC in the SEC on the next go around of openings.
It wouldn't mend a lot of fences. There are very few screaming "just hire him."
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:16 pm
A national search got us RJ. He absolutely should not be given the job without an interview. He was here for 5 years and we never made a Regional. The program deserves a true national search.
Ok. Credit Kevin White got it right almost 30 years ago. Hopefully Dannen has his guy picked out already and he’s Jake.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

A national search also got us Pierce. So hopefully Tulane is doing the right thing for the program and doing a national search.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:30 pm A national search also got us Pierce. So hopefully Tulane is doing the right thing for the program and doing a national search.
That so called “National” search had finalists Jake, Kingston and Pierce.
Kingston decided to go to USF. That left Jake and Pierce. Pierce was an easy choice at that point.
Pepper
Swell

Greeniegb wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:07 pm
Pepper wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:42 pmMatt Riser.
Odd you gave no reason. Well use use to be a Riser fan, not anymore he has 3 back to back subpar seasons. His team currently is batting .238 with a Era of 6.18. No way should Dannen hire a coach on the downward projection., Not sure why but multiple down seasons is a red flag,

Miss. St. is batting .277 with 90 Home Runs and 88 doubles against SEC Pitching,
Geautreau is the Hitting Coach at Miss State. His strength is teaching, kind of coach we need to coach our players up;
Everybody knows him already dummy. Stick to Kai Horton and leave the rest to the adults in the room.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
MicMan
Swell

Tulane fans' favorite word:

"Hopefully"
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:17 pm
winwave wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:30 pm A national search also got us Pierce. So hopefully Tulane is doing the right thing for the program and doing a national search.
Kingston decided to go to USF. That left Jake and Pierce. Pierce was an easy choice at that point.
It was a national search and ended with the right man.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:14 pm
Show Me wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:17 pm
It was a national search and ended with the right man.
Call it what you want. I’m going out on a limb betting that Troy has his guy already picked out just like he did with Ron Hunter. I’ll give him credit for that. He’s had some swings and misses but he’s in charge. The so called “National Search” is typical AD speak. We can only hope he gets the guy he wants and the guy he wants wants the job.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

An AD always has their list. When the moment comes they give those names to the search firm and then lets them add names that fit the profile the AD gives them. So yes it was a national search and we got the right guy.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Lazy as usual.
Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:40 pm Mr Ed speaks
https://wgno.com/sports/tulane-baseball ... from-home/
Ed correct as usual.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Rick Jones tree
https://crescentcitysports.com/rick-jon ... all-coach/
The best place to start is the coaching tree of Jones, which includes nine former Tulane coaches or players and three others in Major League Baseball.
The clear favorite is Jake Gautreau.
A former outstanding player at Tulane and Tulane Hall of Fame inductee, Gautreau has distinguished himself in significant fashion.
At one point, he served as Interim head coach at Tulane in 2014 when Jones had to take a leave of absence. In all, Gautreau spent five years as an assistant coach with the Green Wave.
Gautreau earned national assistant coach of the year in 2019.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

A hell of a write up by Trahan . All positive .

A one , a two , a hell of a Gautreau .....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:56 pm A hell of a write up by Trahan . All positive .

A one , a two , a hell of a Gautreau .....
I agree. Excellent job by Kenny.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

Dannen has never expressed interest in hiring a coach with any connections to Tulane. Why would he start now?
Show Me
Tsunami

MicMan wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:10 pm Dannen has never expressed interest in hiring a coach with any connections to Tulane. Why would he start now?
Fans and donors have voted with their feet and wallets. The state of the program since Dannen became AD has fallen to new lows. I understand out of the gate he wanted to distance himself from Tulane people on the intent of creating a winning culture. The only problem was that baseball was the only sport we had decent success in. There was no reason to go in a different direction.
I guess fans are just hoping he goes for a Tulane guy this go round.
We will know whether that’s true soon enough.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Truth is this go around you don't have a lot of people clamoring for a Tulane guy. What's wanted and needed is a true national search for the best candidate. No one should be handed this job. Let the best man win.
anEngineer
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:31 pm
MicMan wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:10 pm Dannen has never expressed interest in hiring a coach with any connections to Tulane. Why would he start now?
Fans and donors have voted with their feet and wallets. The state of the program since Dannen became AD has fallen to new lows. I understand out of the gate he wanted to distance himself from Tulane people on the intent of creating a winning culture. The only problem was that baseball was the only sport we had decent success in. There was no reason to go in a different direction.
"New lows" since Dannen was hired? That is absolutely NOT true. Football is not great but it's much better than before. Men's BB is better now. Women's BB is the same (always). Volleyball was better, we will see post-Barnes. Golf appears to be getting better.. The minor sports are about the same except for bowling, which is better. Sailing didn't exist before Dannen so that doesn't count. In NONE of those sports do I remember Dannen passing on a qualified Tulane-connected coach. Baseball is the only sport where he avoided a Tulane connection and it's worse.
Pepper
Swell

Rob Vaughn, Maryland.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
wavemania
Surge

Joe Scheurmann , Delgado
especially if we can get full rides soon. If not, he has plenty of connections
Show Me
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:16 pm
Show Me wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:31 pm
"New lows" since Dannen was hired? That is absolutely NOT true. Football is not great but it's much better than before. Men's BB is better now. Women's BB is the same (always). Volleyball was better, we will see post-Barnes. Golf appears to be getting better.. The minor sports are about the same except for bowling, which is better. Sailing didn't exist before Dannen so that doesn't count. In NONE of those sports do I remember Dannen passing on a qualified Tulane-connected coach. Baseball is the only sport where he avoided a Tulane connection and it's worse.
It’s a baseball thread. The new lows I refer to are in baseball.