Jay Uhlman new baseball coach hired.

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Profoundwizard
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:02 pm Several former players tweeting that Jay is an outstanding choice. They certainly know more about those internals than anyone on this site, and they don't have to tweet anything unless they really want to voice approval. It's a done deal. I am glad Jewett is gone and look forward to someone else.
The majority of those former players were guys that played on losing teams. They don’t know what it takes to win at Tulane

Sunamiwave
High Tide

Dannen’s so called “national search” was a disgrace and a sham. Baseball, the once crown jewel of the athletics program, has become completely irrelevant under him. Dannen is a joke. No fundraising or new facilities under Dannen’s watch and now he hires Jewett’s top assistant. Why is he still the AD at Tulane when he spends most of his time working on NCAA issues and could care less about Tulane? Tulane desperately needs a new AD.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

and as a side note...looks like Latham will not be returning
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:12 pm I posted that we could get an announcement on Tuesday but more likely Thursday. I said it depended on if we closed the deal with our #1. If we had closed it he was to come in Thursday for the announcement. TD wasn't able to close it and went with JU so it came out Tuesday as he was already here.
Gotcha. But that’s where you went astray by assuming that would happen. I assumed otherwise knowing Tulane and trusting my sources.
Initially I also felt strongly but as the search “dragged out” I lost confidence quickly in that outcome.
It’s over and there’s no point in arguing over coulda woulda shoulda. Hopefully Jay works out and gets us back to where we belong.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:40 pm and as a side note...looks like Latham will not be returning
Correct. Look for him to land somewhere in Florida. (Not USF)
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Guerry Smith went over the entire coaching search on WWL radio a little while ago and admitted he was wrong. Said many pulled out of the search. Talked portal also. Covers a lot in 10-15 mins. WWL archives their show. 6pm Sports Talk Wed June 8th.
He thinks we can get to a regional next year under Jay.
Try here:
https://go.audacy.com/Wcx2YbtMHqb
Tulane Class of 1981
Sunamiwave
High Tide

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:48 pm Guerry Smith went over the entire coaching search on WWL radio a little while ago and admitted he was wrong. Said many pulled out of the search. Talked portal also. Covers a lot in 10-15 mins. WWL archives their show. 6pm Sports Talk Wed June 8th.
Try here:
Guerry said that there were extenuating circumstances besides our won-loss record that lead to Jewett being fired during the season instead of waiting until the end of the season to fire him. What specifically were those extenuating circumstances? It felt like in the radio interview that Guerry knew what those extenuating circumstances were but did not want to provide us with any details. That is one of my biggest complaints about Guerry as the Tulane beat writer. You know if this happened at LSU the LSU beat writer would provide us with at least some of the details on the extenuating circumstances for why the coach was fired mid-season.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Sunamiwave wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:34 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:48 pm Guerry Smith went over the entire coaching search on WWL radio a little while ago and admitted he was wrong. Said many pulled out of the search. Talked portal also. Covers a lot in 10-15 mins. WWL archives their show. 6pm Sports Talk Wed June 8th.
Try here:
Guerry said that there were extenuating circumstances besides our won-loss record that lead to Jewett being fired during the season instead of waiting until the end of the season to fire him. What specifically were those extenuating circumstances? It felt like in the radio interview that Guerry knew what those extenuating circumstances were but did not want to provide us with any details. That is one of my biggest complaints about Guerry as the Tulane beat writer. You know if this happened at LSU the LSU beat writer would provide us with at least some of the details on the extenuating circumstances for why the coach was fired mid-season.
Check your PM.
Tulane Class of 1981
capwave
High Tide

Not much there that we didn't already know except for those "extenuating circumstances". Could the rumors of what was told to a pitcher that is now in the transfer portal be true? Or is there even more? Bottom line is, if you don't see some of these names being pulled from the portal in a few days, you can expect to see one of the worst seasons Tulane baseball has ever had.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Is this a case of TD not wanting to spend the money to bring in a top shelf coach ? Money talks (as I brought up elsewhere, its how we got Ron hunter to take over a far worse situation). Maybe td wanted to keep the salary range low and thus names pulling out
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:44 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:12 pm I posted that we could get an announcement on Tuesday but more likely Thursday. I said it depended on if we closed the deal with our #1. If we had closed it he was to come in Thursday for the announcement. TD wasn't able to close it and went with JU so it came out Tuesday as he was already here.
Gotcha. But that’s where you went astray by assuming that would happen. I assumed otherwise knowing Tulane and trusting my sources.
Initially I also felt strongly but as the search “dragged out” I lost confidence quickly in that outcome.
It’s over and there’s no point in arguing over coulda woulda shoulda. Hopefully Jay works out and gets us back to where we belong.
I didn't make an assumption. I was clear that we had to close the deal clearly meaning it might not happen. Thus why I told Pepper the announcement could be Tuesday. They couldn't close the deal and he went with the panic hire. The timing was because they were waiting for Walter to be done with the season. I never put his name out because if one looks at his record there it's been up and down so people would have been bitching. That's why I also never said it was going to be a good hire or popular hire. His record is also why he was looking to land here. He didn't feel good about his job security there. In fact someone on the yoggie site went to one of WF fan forums and posted that they had 5 pages of people bitching about him and that he should be fired today. But yes it's done so time to move on and support the new coach.
Last edited by winwave on Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:39 pm Is this a case of TD not wanting to spend the money to bring in a top shelf coach ? Money talks (as I brought up elsewhere, its how we got Ron hunter to take over a far worse situation). Maybe td wanted to keep the salary range low and thus names pulling out
He wasn't trying to go cheap. He was willing to pay for a sitting P5 coach who was in the Regionals.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Uhlman was interviewed tonight by Doug Mouton on WWL-TV for the 10:00 p.m. broadcast. Talks like a players’ coach to me. I was impressed.👍🏻⚾️😎
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:54 pm Uhlman was interviewed tonight by Doug Mouton on WWL-TV for the 10:00 p.m. broadcast. Talks like a players’ coach to me. I was impressed.👍🏻⚾️😎
Saw it too. Saying the right things. Coherent unlike his predecessor. As he himself said though it will matter what he does not what he says.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:40 pm
Wave755 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:54 pm Uhlman was interviewed tonight by Doug Mouton on WWL-TV for the 10:00 p.m. broadcast. Talks like a players’ coach to me. I was impressed.👍🏻⚾️😎
Saw it too. Saying the right things. Coherent unlike his predecessor. As he himself said though it will matter what he does not what he says.
+1, a very well-spoken articulate man who projects the type of image Tulane seeks as a representative of the university. Time will tell whether he has what it takes as a head coach or not.