Dickson > Dannen - Change My Mind

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:36 am
tpstulane wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:03 am
winwave wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:57 am I never heard that we had an ACC offer at that point. I think if it was a true offer it would have made it into the press which never happened.
Tulane people in the know can confirm.
Ask LVG next time you see him.
Some others around during that period may also able to confirm. Most have moved on or away from here. It’s been mentioned before.
I do recall around that time, that one of the asst. athletic directors mentioned to me that they thought that we might get an ACC invite, but that we were still hoping to get a preferred invite back into the SEC, and that there were some discussions underway at the time with the SEC admins. I later heard that it was LSU that absolutely refused to entertain the idea of bringing Tulane back into the SEC. I guess is it was idiot Cowen that blew the chance with the ACC--add all that to our long list of foibles.
Exactly. After the 12-0 season we had some leverage. It’s true we wanted back in the SEC also and LSU blocked us. I too can only assume that SC thought joining the new CUSA was a better choice. :oops:

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:44 am Give Barbara Burke some credit, during her brief time at Tulane at the end of Dickson's tenure and the beginning of Dannen she was involved with the hiring of David Pierce, Willie Fritz and Jim Barnes. Dannen has been a major disappointment and needs to be replaced!
Yes. Thanks for mentioning that. Pierce was a great hire for sure. Barnes also. Fritz still has to prove himself.
Dannen failed on Jewett and Dumbleavy. Hunter still has some proving to do.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:57 am I never heard that we had an ACC offer at that point. I think if it was a true offer it would have made it into the press which never happened.
Some others around during that period may also able to confirm. Most have moved on or away from here. It’s been mentioned before.
I would never trust someone who showed up to work at Tulane athletics everyday with an LSU license plate on their car. :mrgreen:

As I said above if a legitimate offer would have been made it would have made it into the media and the Board would certainly have been informed by SB as soon as it was received and it wouldn't have just fallen between the cracks just because she ended up leaving. Also hard to believe that in the 25 or more years that have passed that that has never been brought up anywhere before now.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:08 pm
I would never trust someone who showed up to work at Tulane athletics everyday with an LSU license plate on their car. :mrgreen:

As I said above if a legitimate offer would have been made it would have made it into the media and the Board would certainly have been informed by SB as soon as it was received and it wouldn't have just fallen between the cracks just because she ended up leaving. Also hard to believe that in the 25 or more years that have passed that that has never been brought up anywhere before now.
I don’t recall the SEC discussion being in the media either. Not all things Tulane make the media. I thought most had known this. It’s not new to me. It was discussed but as usual nothing came of it.
From what I recall we had an opportunity to join the ACC but nothing came of it. Formally invited I’m not sure. Being an SEC charter member we went all in for the SEC and at the time weren’t that interested in the ACC. Had we made the same SEC effort for the ACC we’d been in but we weren’t interested. Back then we were just getting out of a “basketball” league so the ACC was considered a similar situation.
That’s the best I can describe it based on what I remember 24 years or so ago.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I think Houston is more on point saying we hoped for an invite but didn't get it. The talk of wanting back in to the SEC was put out there but no one took it too seriously knowing LSU's opposition.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:06 pm I think Houston is more on point saying we hoped for an invite but didn't get it. The talk of wanting back in to the SEC was put out there but no one took it too seriously knowing LSU's opposition.
Hard to know for sure. The people back then acted like the AAC was another basketball league. Sandy would know for sure. It would be a good question to ask should anyone get the opportunity.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

C’mon guys, there was no way ACC or SEC was ever going to take Tulane, regardless of the rumors.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:11 pm C’mon guys, there was no way ACC or SEC was ever going to take Tulane, regardless of the rumors.
The only reason I can believe the ACC story is because we were coming off a 12-0 season and would have at that time added FB prestige to that league. And academically we would have been an excellent fit.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:41 pm Actually it was SC that got us out through his connections with the UCF President. Both completely sucked as AD's.
Accurate.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

At least Dickson raised money and built new athletic facilities. Dannen has been at Tulane a long time now and has done nothing of substance on the fundraising and facilities front. That is how he got the nickname “Do Nothing Dannen.”
MicMan
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:43 am At least Dickson raised money and built new athletic facilities. Dannen has been at Tulane a long time now and has done nothing of substance on the fundraising and facilities front. That is how he got the nickname “Do Nothing Dannen.”
But...no one seems to like our high school stadium.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't know which is better, heartburn or gas? I really cannot answer but I know both leave you feeling ill.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

MicMan wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:09 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:43 am At least Dickson raised money and built new athletic facilities. Dannen has been at Tulane a long time now and has done nothing of substance on the fundraising and facilities front. That is how he got the nickname “Do Nothing Dannen.”
Waiting on Dannen to fund the West side upper deck.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:19 pm
Waiting on Dannen to fund the West side upper deck.
The upper west side has already been funded...the NIMBY's got SC and RD to agree to build the west side with height restrictions, so their view of the sun would not be blocked...unless their is an amendement to the agreement, the west side is what we have
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:08 pm I don't know which is better, heartburn or gas? I really cannot answer but I know both leave you feeling ill.
Beano and Alka Seltzer is a must for all Tulane fans first aid kits
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

The university has the right to build whatever it wants on ITS CAMPUS...The "agreement" is probably NOT a binding, legal agreement. Tulane just doesn't have the guts (Dannen and Fitz) to call the NIMBY's bluff on this. The NIMBYS would probably try and take Tulane to court but I will bet that they don't have the stomach for a long, expensive legal battle and would cave rather quickly. Yeah, yeah I know that we don't fill what we have right now. The addition of a westside upper deck would enhance the appearance, make the stadium LOOK like a legit stadium and hopefully send a message that we are serious.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DaveBrownStreak wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 3:23 pm The university has the right to build whatever it wants on ITS CAMPUS...The "agreement" is probably NOT a binding, legal agreement. Tulane just doesn't have the guts (Dannen and Fitz) to call the NIMBY's bluff on this. The NIMBYS would probably try and take Tulane to court but I will bet that they don't have the stomach for a long, expensive legal battle and would cave rather quickly. Yeah, yeah I know that we don't fill what we have right now. The addition of a westside upper deck would enhance the appearance, make the stadium LOOK like a legit stadium and hopefully send a message that we are serious.
Any building would require a permit from the City, how hard or easy that will be is for others with legal backgrounds to input...but for fun, let's take a trip down memory lane
https://crescentcitysports.com/yulman-s ... xperiment/

https://tulanehullabaloo.com/2980/sport ... amenities/
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Wasn’t Dickson the Tulane AD when the Hertz Center was built along with the renovations of Turchin Stadium and Fogelman Arena? So he did more than just helping with Yulman. What exactly has “Do Nothing Dannen” accomplished during his many years at Tulane except for cashing a paycheck? Dickson was a bad AD but Dannen is worse.