Sandy Barbour

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sandy has another major hire ahead of her with the retirement of Mike Montgomery. Given that her last hire, football coach Sonny Dykes, suffered through a 1-11 first season, there might be a little pressure on this hire.

Now, Dykes took the field last fall with the third youngest team in FBS, a true freshman QB, and suffered a slew of injuries, but 1-11 is still 1-11. I'll bet that Dykes has them close to .500 and the next Cal basketball coach has more success in the PAC 12 than EC did in a lousy CUSA (or AAC).

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Eaglewave
Swell

Ball Sumrall!
nawlinspete
Riptide

Sandy has been Hired as Penn State AD today.

We, of course fired her so that we could be led by the double dodos Cowen and his eunuch Dixon.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Green Wave
Swell

Good for Sandy.

Why is this in the huddle?
ROLL WAVE!
JerseyWave
Riptide

Barbour admits she stayed too long at Cal. 10 years is a long time for an AD to stay in one place. Except at Tulane where Rick Dickson has been 14 years and counting......
Fred Dowler
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:Barbour admits she stayed too long at Cal. 10 years is a long time for an AD to stay in one place. Except at Tulane where Rick Dickson has been 14 years and counting......
:lol: :lol:
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Jonathan
Riptide

Should this topic be on this board?
ajcalhoun
Swell

Jonathan wrote:Should this topic be on this board?
God Bless Everyone!
wave97
Swell

Random quotes per Philadelphia Inquirer this morning:

Hiring Barbour, who was let go earlier this year after a 10-year run at the University of California, suggests that no highly regarded AD at a school of reasonable size and strong ambition would go to Happy Valley.

"She's tried hard all the time she's been here, but she's been over her head as a manager," University of California public-management professor Michael O'Hare told the San Francisco Chronicle when Barbour was pushed out. ". . . She's been tasked to get the athletic department back on a reasonable keel for years, and it hasn't happened."

In Barbour's decade in charge, Cal also won 19 national team titles. Non-football sports seem in good hands here.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sandy is having a heck of a run at Penn State. Her coaching hires have panned out well, as evidenced by the Rose Bowl appearance in football. This weekend saw the PSU wrestling team win a National Championship, while the men's Ice Hockey team defeated Michigan, Minnesota (2ot) and Wisconsin (2ot) to with the Big 10 Championship. The championship game drew 5600 fans into Joe Lewis Arena, despite being 400 miles from either campus.

Earlier this month, Sandy was named (one of four) AD of the Year by the National Association of College Directors of Athletics (NACDA).

Thanks to the mods for merging this into another Sandy Barbour thread. I don't know why I couldn't find this one but I did notice multiple Rob Kelly threads! ;)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote:Random quotes per Philadelphia Inquirer this morning:

Hiring Barbour, who was let go earlier this year after a 10-year run at the University of California, suggests that no highly regarded AD at a school of reasonable size and strong ambition would go to Happy Valley.

"She's tried hard all the time she's been here, but she's been over her head as a manager," University of California public-management professor Michael O'Hare told the San Francisco Chronicle when Barbour was pushed out. ". . . She's been tasked to get the athletic department back on a reasonable keel for years, and it hasn't happened."

In Barbour's decade in charge, Cal also won 19 national team titles. Non-football sports seem in good hands here.
What a bogus quote by a prof whom clearly is anti-athletics. Barbour was honored many, many times during her tenure at Cal. She also did some amazing things from a facilities/fundraising standpoint. Forbes magazine TWICE named Sandy one of the most influential women in the country. Clearly, she's a whole lot better AD than some blow hard public management professor would have you believe.

The fact that Sandy was out of a job for all of one month tells a whole lot more about her talents than the Professors comments do. She stepped into an ugly situation at PSU, and has made it a place where Championships are won and athletes graduate at a rate significantly higher than most Universities.
RobertM320
Green Wave

What's truly amazing is all the athletic administrative talent that has been through Tulane the last 30 years and yet look where we are today. Kevin White, Sandy Barbour, Wright Waters, even Mack Brown. How are we still so bad?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:What's truly amazing is all the athletic administrative talent that has been through Tulane the last 30 years and yet look where we are today. Kevin White, Sandy Barbour, Wright Waters, even Mack Brown. How are we still so bad?

Chet Gladchuk has to be on that list as well, though it may be more than 30 years since his days at Tulane.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:What's truly amazing is all the athletic administrative talent that has been through Tulane the last 30 years and yet look where we are today. Kevin White, Sandy Barbour, Wright Waters, even Mack Brown. How are we still so bad?

Chet Gladchuk has to be on that list as well, though it may be more than 30 years since his days at Tulane.

Agreed. He may not be the only one I forgot. But isn't it amazing that somehow we've still been so bad for so long?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Agreed. He may not be the only one I forgot. But isn't it amazing that somehow we've still been so bad for so long?

On the surface, yes, it's a head scratcher. Then I think "well, maybe not." If there's one thing that those names tell you, it's that they were great at their jobs when they left Tulane! They managed to do ok here, which set them up to be super successful when they got to better situations!

But it sure would be nice to have Dannen work out better than what it looks like right now. I've liked the man from day one, but times are really tough right now. A six win season would go a long way towards easing those that are hostile right now. Nothing could have hurt his credibility more than having Jewitt off to a horrible start.
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Sandy is having a heck of a run at Penn State. Her coaching hires have panned out well, as evidenced by the Rose Bowl appearance in football. This weekend saw the PSU wrestling team win a National Championship, while the men's Ice Hockey team defeated Michigan, Minnesota (2ot) and Wisconsin (2ot) to with the Big 10 Championship. The championship game drew 5600 fans into Joe Lewis Arena, despite being 400 miles from either campus.

Earlier this month, Sandy was named (one of four) AD of the Year by the National Association of College Directors of Athletics (NACDA).

Thanks to the mods for merging this into another Sandy Barbour thread. I don't know why I couldn't find this one but I did notice multiple Rob Kelly threads! ;)
Since 2010, the elevation of PSU Hockey from club sports status was due exclusively to the financial support of one Terry Pegula, Owner Buffalo Sabers & PSU Grad. I'm willing to take a wait and see on the continued success of PSU football.
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2 ... tterry.php
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Sandy is having a heck of a run at Penn State. Her coaching hires have panned out well, as evidenced by the Rose Bowl appearance in football. This weekend saw the PSU wrestling team win a National Championship, while the men's Ice Hockey team defeated Michigan, Minnesota (2ot) and Wisconsin (2ot) to with the Big 10 Championship. The championship game drew 5600 fans into Joe Lewis Arena, despite being 400 miles from either campus.

Since 2010, the elevation of PSU Hockey from club sports status was due exclusively to the financial support of one Terry Pegula, Owner Buffalo Sabers & PSU Grad. I'm willing to take a wait and see on the continued success of PSU football.http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2 ... tterry.php
Say what you will about PSU football, but they were conference champs in a conference that sent two teams to the four team playoff. Did you forget that PSU won the division and the Conference Championship game? And oh yeah, they beat Ohio State, a team that will play pinball with the scoreboard when Tulane takes the field against them.
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
wave97 wrote:

Since 2010, the elevation of PSU Hockey from club sports status was due exclusively to the financial support of one Terry Pegula, Owner Buffalo Sabers & PSU Grad. I'm willing to take a wait and see on the continued success of PSU football.http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2 ... tterry.php
Say what you will about PSU football, but they were conference champs in a conference that sent two teams to the four team playoff. Did you forget that PSU won the division and the Conference Championship game? And oh yeah, they beat Ohio State, a team that will play pinball with the scoreboard when Tulane takes the field against them.
Urban Meyer knows better than that, after all, he was raised right, just like all those fine young men who graduate with their hyphenated "studies" degree.
ajcalhoun
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Say what you will about PSU football, but they were conference champs in a conference that sent two teams to the four team playoff.
God Bless Everyone!
lurker123
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Do us a favor and save that question for Fritz's pregame coach's show the week of the OSU game. I'm sure he'll be happy to address your concern about his poor little team.
lurker123
Swell

Sandy Barbour could not sell Girl Scout cookies to her mother. That's how bad she is at marketing and the "high touch" needed for mega-fundraising. The latter was the one skill RD had which was why SC recruited him to replace Barbour.

However Barbour has always been able to hire coaches. Not to put too much on one moment in time but what would have happened if SC had let her hire RR as she wanted to?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LOL. People got so tired of knocking him they felt compelled to come up w/something he could do. So they siad he could fundraise. Fact is he wasn't any good at that either.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:LOL. People got so tired of knocking him they felt compelled to come up w/something he could do. So they siad he could fundraise. Fact is he wasn't any good at that either.
Lots to knock Dickson about with much justification. You can fail with a 65 grade and still be good at something. If you think he was bad at fundraising, why don't you go ask the folks who gave Tulane $100+ million for athletic facilities? To a school that some around here repeatedly bemoan as the worst of worst of college programs and those posters are self proclaimed fans? Hertz, Benson, Yulman, Glazer, Devlin and others are all accessible. Just ask them if Dickson helped or hindered their donations.

I'm truly wondering? Did the money just appear out of thin air?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:LOL. People got so tired of knocking him they felt compelled to come up w/something he could do. So they siad he could fundraise. Fact is he wasn't any good at that either.
Lots to knock Dickson about with much justification. You can fail with a 65 grade and still be good at something. If you think he was bad at fundraising, why don't you go ask the folks who gave Tulane $100+ million for athletic facilities? To a school that some around here repeatedly bemoan as the worst of worst of college programs and those posters are self proclaimed fans? Hertz, Benson, Yulman, Glazer, Devlin and others are all accessible. Just ask them if Dickson helped or hindered their donations.

I'm truly wondering? Did the money just appear out of thin air?

He traveled the country to raise the last $10 million to match the Yulman Challenge. It was supposed to be completed by Homecoming, and it wasn't until late the following spring. The whole way the stadium came about was that RD and SC wanted to raise money to build an IPF, and other projects and the big donors said they weren't giving to that project but would for an OCS. That's how we ended up building the stadium on campus and on the cheap.

If he was such a great fundraiser, why did our endowment not grow at minimum at a market rate? Our endowment growth during the SC/RD era was not only nowhere near our peer (or now formerly peer) institutions, it was closer to negative growth than the market rate.