Former Heavyweight Champion Vitali Klitschko

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Sports is life.

Relevant to the tragedy that is unfolding with the Russian invasion of Ukraine is the story of former heavyweight boxing champion Vitali Klitschko. Klitschko is the only boxer to have held the heavyweight championship in three different decades. His younger brother Wladimir is also a former heavyweight champion.

Vitali's lifetime record is 45-2. He won his first 27 fights by knockouts. He was never knocked down. His two losses were to Chris Byrd and to Lennox Lewis. In both fights, Klitschko held commanding leads by the ringside scorers. His lost to Lewis was by TKO because of a cut to his left eye that caused the referee to stop the fight. His loss to Byrd was a forfeiture when he suffered a torn rotator cuff. Due to extreme shoulder pain and his inability to defend himself, he was forced to throw in the towel. At the time of the injury, judges had scored him as having won 8 of the nine rounds fought.

Oh by the way, Klitschko is mayor of the Ukranian city of Kyiv. He may have just signed his own death warrant by publicly criticizing Putin and pledging to take up arms to fight the Russian invaders.

A multi-millionaire who also earned a PhD, Klitschko has prospered financially with his success in sports. He could live anywhere in the world he chooses. Instead today he is carrying a rifle and fighting for his country. “I don’t have another choice, I have to do that. I’ll be fighting.”

Godspeed Vitali Klitschko.

wave97
Swell

In life you try not to do stupid shit:
If Joe Biden hadn't cancelled the Keystone Pipeline as his first act after his selection to POTUS, we wouldn't be in this situation.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

wave97 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:20 pm In life you try not to do stupid shit:
If Joe Biden hadn't cancelled the Keystone Pipeline as his first act after his selection to POTUS, we wouldn't be in this situation.
You need your head examined!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
wave97
Swell

Bigschtick wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:52 pm
You need your head examined!
I will get my head examined if you can tell me what 2 + 2 equals.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Gl, thanks for the story of Klitschko.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
torbida
Surge

Klitschko defines the word patriot. God bless him and Ukraine
GreenLantern
Riptide

Sometimes it's better to remain silent and have everyone wonder if you're a fool. Sadly, wave97 has voiced a couple of incoherent ramblings and has removed any doubt.

I could write page after page documenting the lunacy that was the Trump administration. Since it would be a waste of my time (and all lost on wave97), I'll only mention one point which should be adequate for most thoughtful folks:

You have to look back no further than 2018. It was then that Trump suggested a move tantamount to destroying NATO: the withdrawal of the United States. Senior administration officials told The New York Times that several times over the course of that year, Mr. Trump privately said he wanted to withdraw from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Mr. Trump told his top national security officials that he did not see the point of the military alliance, which he presented as a drain on the United States. Can you imagine the current crisis with no NATO alliance?

Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart president. He is a weak man's idea of a strong president. He is a poor man's idea of a rich president. He has recently referred to Putin as "genius" and "savvy". Had he been around in 1939, I'm confident he would have said the same of Hitler.
wave97
Swell

Every nation in Europe is sucking from teat of Russian petetrolium & natural gas. Even us!
Putin wins - game set match.
wave97
Swell

We have betrayed the Ukies. They die for nothing.
wave97
Swell

You keep whistling Dixie to the premature beat of the new green deal & see where that gets you👍