NIL impact

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Considering G5's had little to no chance of bagging 5-star recruits before, the NIL game opens up a new opportunity for those G5's that want to make the commitment, in time and money. So far, there is little sign that Tulane intends to make such a commitment. And from reading the most recent Tulanian, which features Dannen's waste of time with the NCAA, it doesn't look like there will be in coordinated Tulane effort on the NIL front. One question from that article--it's implies that Caleb Williams (and presumably any other player) can only transfer once? I wasn't aware that there was any limit or restriction on portal transfers.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:54 am
Considering G5's had little to no chance of bagging 5-star recruits before, the NIL game opens up a new opportunity for those G5's that want to make the commitment, in time and money. So far, there is little sign that Tulane intends to make such a commitment. And from reading the most recent Tulanian, which features Dannen's waste of time with the NCAA, it doesn't look like there will be in coordinated Tulane effort on the NIL front. One question from that article--it's implies that Caleb Williams (and presumably any other player) can only transfer once? I wasn't aware that there was any limit or restriction on portal transfers.
Yes. They mention SMU as a school to watch.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

What they were referring to was the one time transfer without having to sit out. If he went to EMU and then transferred again he'd have to sit out a year.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:11 pm
What they were referring to was the one time transfer without having to sit out. If he went to EMU and then transferred again he'd have to sit out a year.
I didn't realize there was a sit out period after one transfer--thanks for clarifying.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Looks like the P5 has started tampering with G5 players not even in the portal using NIL $$$ as the lure.
https://theathletic.com/3095503/2022/01 ... ed_article
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:40 am Looks like the P5 has started tampering with G5 players not even in the portal using NIL $$$ as the lure.
https://theathletic.com/3095503/2022/01 ... ed_article
Just one of the early perversions, of many, that will eventually stem from NIL, and eventually the SCOTUS ruling. Most schools, especially those like Tulane, will likely have to decide which world they’ll partake in. I wonder if Dannen, and his NCAA constitutional rewrite buddies aren’t trying to lay the ground work for a system that will avoid these issues—more of an old fashioned amateur system.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Tulane just needs to dangle some free King Cake, and a few Big Mc breakfast items and they are golden
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

I still say that there will eventually be 20 - 25 teams playing for the TV national championship and the rest of us will go back to more traditional amateur athletics.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:35 pm I still say that there will eventually be 20 - 25 teams playing for the TV national championship and the rest of us will go back to more traditional amateur athletics.
I agree I think a mix of 30 to 40 just to cover the large TV markets....that said, Bama, Georgia, Florida, lsu, mizzou, Tenn, ole miss..Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Mich State, Illinois, Syracuse, Arizona St, Colorado, UCLA, USC, Washington, Stanford, Oregon, Clemson, North Carolina, Maryland, Florida State, Miami...please add your choices
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:36 pm
anEngineer wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:35 pm I still say that there will eventually be 20 - 25 teams playing for the TV national championship and the rest of us will go back to more traditional amateur athletics.
I agree I think a mix of 30 to 40 just to cover the large TV markets....that said, Bama, Georgia, Florida, lsu, mizzou, Tenn, ole miss..Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Mich State, Illinois, Syracuse, Arizona St, Colorado, UCLA, USC, Washington, Stanford, Oregon, Clemson, North Carolina, Maryland, Florida State, Miami...please add your choices
Agree. But I also wonder if at some point the economics for these semi-pro programs won't eventually start to reverse, as even these schools don't cover many of today's football fans. And repeatedly playing such a narrow list of schools will also erode fan interest at some point. The eventual outcome for these schools could be quite different from what they expect, today.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Apologies if I missed something but . . . Syracuse ??! We’re talking football right ? Is that to cover NYC and the northeast ? As far as I know, the only northeast team of any consequence is Penn State.

Also some day someone must explain to me why Syracuse is able to succeed in athletics and we are not.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:29 pm Apologies if I missed something but . . . Syracuse ??! We’re talking football right ? Is that to cover NYC and the northeast ? As far as I know, the only northeast team of any consequence is Penn State.

Also some day someone must explain to me why Syracuse is able to succeed in athletics and we are not.
I forgot to include Penn State and ND...Syracuse simply for the NYC market
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:45 am who's in charge of this krap
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... nforcement
That’s just it—nobody is in charge of NIL. And I doubt the NCAA can do anything about it now. They have no legal basis, and I suspect many schools and conferences would tell the NCAA to pound sand. The NCAA missed their chance to maintain control over collegiate football when they failed to implement a comprehensive D1 football playoff, long after they knew of the huge success of their basketball playoff. Too little, too late, now—they’ve been neutered. But they still have their shine boy—Troy Dannen in the house.
Show Me
Tsunami

Since baseball isn’t a fully funded sport is it now possible to set up an NIL to cover the cost of tuition that falls short?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:32 am Since baseball isn’t a fully funded sport is it now possible to set up an NIL to cover the cost of tuition that falls short?
Yes. If it’s set up to conform to what’s allowed.
https://businessofcollegesports.com/nam ... -baseball/
However, with NIL now in play, the programs with passionate fan bases that are committed to winning can step up and separate themselves from the pack. With the 11.7 limit, It is extremely uncommon for a college baseball player to be on a full athletic scholarship. Now, even with the scholarship limit in place, NIL deals could offset the difference between full tuition and the scholarship amount.

So instead of merely offering a 50% scholarship to a top recruit, hoping that he chooses your program for reasons extending beyond the financial component, a coach could point to the tremendous NIL potential his school has to boost his recruiting pitch even more. Similar to how BYU Football walk-ons will receive full tuition in a recent NIL deal, supporters can leverage NIL to attract more elite prospects to their schools.

Whereas NIL could definitely be used to get recruits to campus, it could also be used to keep current players on campus. Unlike football and basketball student athletes, baseball players don’t have to declare for the draft and forgo their remaining eligibility upon announcing their desire to play professionally. In fact, if a player is selected by an MLB organization, they can negotiate a signing bonus up until a certain deadline before deciding to enter pro ball or return to school.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:32 am Since baseball isn’t a fully funded sport is it now possible to set up an NIL to cover the cost of tuition that falls short?
Great idea. But again, it will take coordination, effort and some leadership from the athletic dept.—qualities that Tulane athletics is very short on these days.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:46 am
However, with NIL now in play, the programs with passionate fan bases that are committed to winning can step up and separate themselves from the pack. With the 11.7 limit, It is extremely uncommon for a college baseball player to be on a full athletic scholarship. Now, even with the scholarship limit in place, NIL deals could offset the difference between full tuition and the scholarship amount.

So instead of merely offering a 50% scholarship to a top recruit, hoping that he chooses your program for reasons extending beyond the financial component, a coach could point to the tremendous NIL potential his school has to boost his recruiting pitch even more. Similar to how BYU Football walk-ons will receive full tuition in a recent NIL deal, supporters can leverage NIL to attract more elite prospects to their schools.

Whereas NIL could definitely be used to get recruits to campus, it could also be used to keep current players on campus. Unlike football and basketball student athletes, baseball players don’t have to declare for the draft and forgo their remaining eligibility upon announcing their desire to play professionally. In fact, if a player is selected by an MLB organization, they can negotiate a signing bonus up until a certain deadline before deciding to enter pro ball or return to school.
So BYU adds one more item to the growing list of creative uses of NIL. And the list will keep growing. The Moose Is Loose—and there’s no telling where he’s going.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:03 am
tpstulane wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:46 am

So BYU adds one more item to the growing list of creative uses of NIL. And the list will keep growing. The Moose Is Loose—and there’s no telling where he’s going.
Yes. Shades of the Wild Wild West.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The best way to help is to donate (even $50) to the FTW NIL consortium. It’s only a start, but every dollar (and the # of donors ) helps and can be used in courting larger donors
Show Me
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:52 am The best way to help is to donate (even $50) to the FTW NIL consortium. It’s only a start, but every dollar (and the # of donors ) helps and can be used in courting larger donors
Thanks. I plan on doing so. When I do will it be tax deductible? I know the athletes receiving my donation will owe taxes on it.
McWave
High Tide

Yes, but will an 18 year old want cash on top of free tuition or just cash to cover tuition (no crazy money)?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

McWave wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:39 pm
Yes, but will an 18 year old want cash on top of free tuition or just cash to cover tuition (no crazy money)?
I'm sure they'll take all they can get. It will become a bidding war for baseball players eventually--not nearly at the level of football, but the better baseball players will likely get something well beyond tuition.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:52 am The best way to help is to donate (even $50) to the FTW NIL consortium. It’s only a start, but every dollar (and the # of donors ) helps and can be used in courting larger donors
What's the process for this? Is there a link we can go to and "contribute"?