NIL impact

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Turned down $11 million NIL to sign with Florida
Agreed to go to Mia instead.
https://www.on3.com/nil/news/jaden-rash ... -recruits/
The same sources said Rashada turned down an offer from Florida’s Gator Collective for $11 million. Both offers blow out of the water the Caspino-brokered $8 million deal for a five-star recruit thought to be Tennessee quarterback commitment Nico Iamaleava.

It’s believed to be the highest-known NIL deal for a high school recruit to date. It also further reinforces that NIL has created a multi-million market for blue-chip quarterbacks. .

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
McWave
High Tide

18 yr old college students now making more than the coaches, faculty, and chancellor. This will be fun to watch. I am assuming the NILs are guaranteed.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

McWave wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:59 pm 18 yr old college students now making more than the coaches, faculty, and chancellor. This will be fun to watch. I am assuming the NILs are guaranteed.
yep, the inmates are now running the asluymn.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Texas Tech lands NIL deal for
WBB team. Each player will
receive $25,000. Wow.
https://www.everythinglubbock.com/sport ... athletics/
Members of the Lady Raiders basketball team and representatives of LEVEL13 made the announcement just before 2:30 p.m. Each player will earn $25,000 in the deal.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Totally out of control--already. It will be interesting to see how this evolves. What's the over/under on when the first lawsuit is filed by a player claiming his NIL promises weren't fulfilled.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
anEngineer
Riptide

Sure are a lot of insanely wealthy people in Texas.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Absolutely the Wild Wild West. The $$$ schools will buy championships. Even Alabama won’t be able to match the Texas oil $$$.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:26 pm Totally out of control--already.
As if we didn't see this coming 1000 miles away.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:24 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:26 pm Totally out of control--already.
As if we didn't see this coming 1000 miles away.
True but the speed, and level, at which the huge $$$ bidding has reached is beyond what most expected. It’s exploded in less than a year. Gavin Newsom and his legislative buddies destroyed their own conference—who expected that? And most of the Big 12 and ACC teams and leadership have no idea what shoe is going to fall on them next.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Article in today’s paper says LSU is planning on raising $50 million for their NIL program to support its athletes.

https://www.on3.com/college/lsu-tigers/ ... g-battles/
”I don’t feel like we’re being out-bid by anybody, I don’t think that’s the place of NIL anyway,” Kelly said. “So, if we’re being out-bid, then we’re going to be out-bid if we have $50 million in our collective.
Tulane Class of 1981
Greeniegb
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:37 am Article in today’s paper says LSU is planning on raising $50 million for their NIL program to support its athletes.

”I don’t feel like we’re being out-bid by anybody, I don’t think that’s the place of NIL anyway,” Kelly said. “So, if we’re being out-bid, then we’re going to be out-bid if we have $50 million in our collective.
America is going to shit!!! Once proud St. Tammany's School system is 86 teachers short for the upcoming school year, Police forces are quiting right and left, but we are creating rich athletes, really. who is left to teach and protect us??? How can a country survive on athletics alone. Athletics was surposed to be fun not business. We are paying more for the body than the brain, leading to the dumbing down of America. We will reach the point where we have no professors in c0llege just athletes.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Greeniegb wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:25 am
tpstulane wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:37 am Article in today’s paper says LSU is planning on raising $50 million for their NIL program to support its athletes.

America is going to shit!!! Once proud St. Tammany's School system is 86 teachers short for the upcoming school year, Police forces are quiting right and left, but we are creating rich athletes, really. who is left to teach and protect us??? How can a country survive on athletics alone. Athletics was surposed to be fun not business. We are paying more for the body than the brain, leading to the dumbing down of America. We will reach the point where we have no professors in c0llege just athletes.
Yes. It’s out of control at this point. No turning back I’m afraid. If LSU does $50 million Texas A&M will do $75 million etc
Tulane Class of 1981
Greeniegb
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:32 am
Greeniegb wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:25 am

Yes. It’s out of control at this point. No turning back I’m afraid. If LSU does $50 million Texas A&M will do $75 million etc
Yea go tell all the homeless close to the Superdome on Sundays, or all over America we have our priorities right as a nation, really, I don't want to hear another word about rich CEO's without rich athletes in the same conversation. One gets paid for the mind and one gets paid for the body but what about average Americans!!!
GreenLantern
Riptide

At least unlimited transfers appears to be failing. That would have blurred the lines even further between pro football and college.
... it is increasingly unlikely that the Division I Board of Directors will vote to eliminate the NCAA rule prohibiting multiple transfers by athletes at its Aug. 3 meeting. This would mean that the one-time transfer rule would remain in place. The creation of transfer windows may also be delayed.

Earlier this month, the Division I Council endorsed the elimination of the one-time transfer rule as part of a transfer reform package that included the implementation of transfer windows and the requirement that the school accepting a transfer would be required to provide financial aid to the incoming student-athlete through the completion of the student’s five-year period of eligibility or undergraduate graduation. The package originated with the Division I Transformation Committee, a group assembled to help modernize college athletics.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

EX-SMU players coming clean. Admitting they accepted cars and cash including John Curtis alum Reggie Dupard. The NIL before it was legal.
https://theathletic.com/3474787/2022/08 ... ed_article
Former receiver Reggie Dupard, who received money and a car in the ’80s before becoming a first-round NFL Draft pick, felt he deserved it.

“It helped me, it helped my family,” said Dupard, who now runs a nonprofit that works with children and families in Texas. “I wanted my family to be able to see me if I was playing out of state. That was the dealbreaker for me. If you will fly my parents up to every home game and put them in a hotel, that’s what I wanted. I’m close to my family. Would I have done things a little different? Maybe I wouldn’t have gotten the (Datsun) 300ZX, maybe just give my mom a car because you bring a lot of attention to yourself. I have no regrets as far as getting the money. I played and made the school a lot of money and I produced. As a matter of fact, I think I should have gotten more.”
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Coming soon…
Perhaps the Big 10 will share TV money for NIL $$ with the players…
https://theathletic.com/3485250/2022/08 ... ed_article
Coach Jim Harbaugh broached the subject at Big Ten media days when asked about a comment attributed to Ohio State coach Ryan Day, who reportedly told business leaders in Columbus that the Buckeyes needed $13 million in name, image and likeness deals to keep their roster intact.

“My thoughts were, ‘I think we can do more,’” Harbaugh said. “Maybe we can even double that. I think that’s possible, and I think it’s going in a terrific direction that way.”

New rules that took effect last summer allowed players to monetize their NIL rights for use in video games, ads, merchandise and other commercial ventures. But appearing in a primetime TV broadcast nets nothing for the players, even as the explosion in media rights fees has enriched the schools and conferences at a dizzying pace.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/smu-mustan ... -kleinert/

SMU already had a top 20 NIL fund ($1m), and they just funded another top 20 fund. The first fund pays big $$$ to individual star players. The one that just began ($3.5m) pays each basketball & football players $36k a year.

Very impressive. There investments speak volumes, and their talent is going to be top tier.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:19 am https://www.on3.com/nil/news/smu-mustan ... -kleinert/

SMU already had a top 20 NIL fund ($1m), and they just funded another top 20 fund. The first fund pays big $$$ to individual star players. The one that just began ($3.5m) pays each basketball & football players $36k a year.

Very impressive. There investments speak volumes, and their talent is going to be top tier.
Nice deal for those guys. Definitely going to help them in their attempts to move up the chain.
The more money poured into Athletics the further the gap gets for the Wave. I appreciate the Fear the Wave effort but the corporate level $$$ others are getting is difficult to compete with.
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

Bread & Circus!
Are you entertained?
D3 doesn't look so bad, or does it?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:25 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:19 am https://www.on3.com/nil/news/smu-mustan ... -kleinert/

Nice deal for those guys. Definitely going to help them in their attempts to move up the chain.
The more money poured into Athletics the further the gap gets for the Wave. I appreciate the Fear the Wave effort but the corporate level $$$ others are getting is difficult to compete with.
No problem. Tulane is going to counter by "educating" our athletes about NIL--which will only cause our athletes to readily see what they are not getting.
wave97
Swell

What happens when the highly feted recruit doesn't pan out? Will the boosters start showing up at 5:00 am to administer winter workout punishment sufficient enough for him/her to get on the bus out of town?
Nothing comes free in this world (unless you work for the public sector).
HoustonWave
Tsunami

wave97 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:55 pm What happens when the highly feted recruit doesn't pan out? Will the boosters start showing up at 5:00 am to administer winter workout punishment sufficient enough for him/her to get on the bus out of town?
Nothing comes free in this world (unless you work for the public sector).
I've wondered the same thing. One of the underperforming athletes will eventually sue his NIL benefactors claiming a breach of promise, or some such junk.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

UK basketball player nets NIL $2.75 million
https://theathletic.com/3493805/2022/08 ... ed_article
Tshiebwe stands to make about $500,000 in seven days — bringing his total NIL earnings to about $2.75 million — a source familiar with his agreements told The Athletic.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:27 pm
You have to be impressed by SMU’s efforts on the investment front and NIL shoot out. But the dark cloud behind that silver lining is that they become the prime target for P5 recruiting heists. If a P5 school needs to fill a couple recruiting holes, SMU is the first place they’ll look, as SMU continues to grab a lot of the top G5 talent. Hence the mass recruit robbery earlier this week when SMU lost 5 recruits in one day. They are becoming the go to team for P5 raids.