NIL impact

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
McWave
High Tide

I am waiting on the gender equity lawsuit. Any takers out there? If Grambling football is getting NILs then why not Grambling softball? Any legal "experts" want to weigh in on that? I have no idea if NILs would be affected.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

McWave wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:05 pm I am waiting on the gender equity lawsuit. Any takers out there? If Grambling football is getting NILs then why not Grambling softball? Any legal "experts" want to weigh in on that? I have no idea if NILs would be affected.
It’s called free market. People free to give to whom they want. An LSU gymnast is getting millions in sponsorships because she has 5 million followers on TiKTok.
Each case is different. I doubt you’ll see any gender equity lawsuits with merit.
Obviously they will have less females that can benefit if they don’t have a following that warrants $$.
FB is the high profile sport for the majority. You’ll probably get some female basketball players getting nice NIL’s I would think UCONN most likely. They draw 12,000 or more a game.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

McWave wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:05 pm I am waiting on the gender equity lawsuit. Any takers out there? If Grambling football is getting NILs then why not Grambling softball? Any legal "experts" want to weigh in on that? I have no idea if NILs would be affected.
My niece is a freshman on a small(ish) Texas University golf team. She has signed a NIL agreement with a sports drink company. I’m pretty sure that the most talented and more name-recognizable female athletes will be getting a small piece of the NIL pie… perhaps not as much as their more marketable male counterparts.
Show Me
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:39 pm
McWave wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:39 pm
Show Me wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:32 am Since baseball isn’t a fully funded sport is it now possible to set up an NIL to cover the cost of tuition that falls short?
Yes, but will an 18 year old want cash on top of free tuition or just cash to cover tuition (no crazy money)?
I'm sure they'll take all they can get. It will become a bidding war for baseball players eventually--not nearly at the level of football, but the better baseball players will likely get something well beyond tuition.
Yes. I can see that.
Greeniegb
Swell

Educate yourself please it said all Grambling student athletes will be paid!!!
Comprehend, lol
Pete Thamel reported that Grambling State have signed a deal that will offer annual income for all student-athletes on scholarship.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Greeniegb wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:03 pm
Comprehend, lol
Pete Thamel reported that Grambling State have signed a deal that will offer annual income for all student-athletes on scholarship.
When will there be a lawsuit by the non-athletes? I mean, if you're on student council, or the school newspaper or yearbook, band, cheerleaders, etc, you're still putting in work for the university and not getting paid. So athletes get free tuition PLUS extra pay, while other students pay tuition, and get nothing extra for their efforts?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I want the NIL Jersey program to make it to Tulane. Lord knows we'll be lining up for #97 Jerseys even though our best player is graduating.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Kentucky basketball players got free Porsche’s 😱

https://theathletic.com/3142042/2022/02 ... ed_article
Tshiebwe is about to get a free Porsche, like teammates TyTy Washington and Shaedon Sharpe, and launch a merchandise and apparel deal.
Tulane Class of 1981
McWave
High Tide

Greeniegb wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:03 pm
Comprehend, lol
@gb: Where does it say all student-athletes (male or female) on scholarship will paid the "same", "equal", etc.

Grambling State University is set to break ground on a name, image and likeness (NIL) deal for student-athletes that will provide each athlete with an annual income. This NIL deal is believed to be the first of its kind.

Comprehend... :o :o

That's the lawsuit for those (gb) who didn't comprehend.
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:11 am Kentucky basketball players got free Porsche’s 😱

Tshiebwe is about to get a free Porsche, like teammates TyTy Washington and Shaedon Sharpe, and launch a merchandise and apparel deal.

So who's going to pay the income taxes on these gifts? The players are going to be on the hook for income tax, even if they don't realize it.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:17 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:11 am Kentucky basketball players got free Porsche’s 😱

So who's going to pay the income taxes on these gifts? The players are going to be on the hook for income tax, even if they don't realize it.
Yep. Let’s say the cars FMV is $100K they going to owe probably $28,000 in Fed and State taxes.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenRiver
Ripple

tpstulane wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:29 pm
It’s called free market. People free to give to whom they want. An LSU gymnast is getting millions in sponsorships because she has 5 million followers on TiKTok.
Each case is different. I doubt you’ll see any gender equity lawsuits with merit.
Obviously they will have less females that can benefit if they don’t have a following that warrants $$.
FB is the high profile sport for the majority. You’ll probably get some female basketball players getting nice NIL’s I would think UCONN most likely. They draw 12,000 or more a game.
Free market? I wish... Actually one of my coworkers from Mexico told me the thing he was most surprised about the US was the lack of a free market.

The US women's soccer team settled their equal pay lawsuit, bringing in $24 million. They argued the women's team brought in more money than the men, which may have been true for the past four year cycle, considering they won a world cup and the men failed to qualify. I'd bet the men's team would bring in more tv revenue from a single world cup game just for showing up, then the women made for the winning the whole thing.

There will be lawsuits. Most will lack merit, but many will be settled because lawyers want to get paid.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenRiver wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:22 am
Free market? I wish... Actually one of my coworkers from Mexico told me the thing he was most surprised about the US was the lack of a free market.

The US women's soccer team settled their equal pay lawsuit, bringing in $24 million. They argued the women's team brought in more money than the men, which may have been true for the past four year cycle, considering they won a world cup and the men failed to qualify. I'd bet the men's team would bring in more tv revenue from a single world cup game just for showing up, then the women made for the winning the whole thing.

There will be lawsuits. Most will lack merit, but many will be settled because lawyers want to get paid.
That’s not a NIL example. That’s a salary based pay lawsuit. NIL is about sponsors not employment.
Sponsors use the athletes image and will pay based on traffic/eyeballs athletes can bring to view their products. Like I said female Olivia Dunne is one of the highest paid NIL athletes in the country. She’s probably the highest paid of anyone. She makes more money than any male LSU athlete. She gets eyeballs for sponsors. Has nearly 5 million TikTok followers alone. She’s only just begun. If a sponsor can get traffic from an athletes social media accounts they going to pay for those eyeballs regardless of gender. Livvy is promoting eye makeup and other products that is important to a female audience. A male athlete would have to sponsor different products appealing to men.
Now here’s something interesting the good looking female athletes easily find male social media followers. They have a harder time finding female followers.
https://www.225batonrouge.com/our-city/ ... ls-country
For Dunne, the new policy has meant endorsement money of more than $1 million just this past year.
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

Who's Olivia Dunne?

LOL
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
oliveandblue
Surge

tpstulane wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:47 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:17 pm

Yep. Let’s say the cars FMV is $100K they going to owe probably $28,000 in Fed and State taxes.
There is going to be a lot of tax evasion IF the IRS wants to chase this down.
GreenRiver
Ripple

tpstulane wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:18 am

That’s not a NIL example. That’s a salary based pay lawsuit. NIL is about sponsors not employment.
Sponsors use the athletes image and will pay based on traffic/eyeballs athletes can bring to view their products. Like I said female Olivia Dunne is one of the highest paid NIL athletes in the country. She’s probably the highest paid of anyone. She makes more money than any male LSU athlete. She gets eyeballs for sponsors. Has nearly 5 million TikTok followers alone. She’s only just begun. If a sponsor can get traffic from an athletes social media accounts they going to pay for those eyeballs regardless of gender. Livvy is promoting eye makeup and other products that is important to a female audience. A male athlete would have to sponsor different products appealing to men.
Now here’s something interesting the good looking female athletes easily find male social media followers. They have a harder time finding female followers.
For Dunne, the new policy has meant endorsement money of more than $1 million just this past year.
Conceptually, I agree with you. However, at the other end of the spectrum you have BYU negotiating a deal for all members of the football team that includes having scholarships paid for the football walk-ons. Are they putting the same effort into negotiating a deal for the walk-ons to the women's cross country team? There's certainly an argument to be made that when the school is making team deals for sports featuring a certain gender, but not the other, that it could become a title IX issue.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenRiver wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:16 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:18 am

Conceptually, I agree with you. However, at the other end of the spectrum you have BYU negotiating a deal for all members of the football team that includes having scholarships paid for the football walk-ons. Are they putting the same effort into negotiating a deal for the walk-ons to the women's cross country team? There's certainly an argument to be made that when the school is making team deals for sports featuring a certain gender, but not the other, that it could become a title IX issue.
I don’t think the schools negotiate deals. I believe they are advised of potential deals and sign off on them if the policies of their state are adhered to.
https://www.iconsource.com/everything-about-nil.html
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

AP story on Female athletes cashing in from NIL
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/03/ ... -nil-cash/
Tulane Class of 1981
McWave
High Tide

I would think when the school gets involved (i.e. Grambling: every student will receive NIL money) the school opens itself up to an equality lawsuit. Now if an individual/business negotiates a deal with the student athlete directly, I don't see the school as liable. However, you know the school will be involved. I don't think a school will want a team/player to sign a NIL deal with a socially unacceptable group. Let your imaginations run wild. The Rha Shop comes to mind but I am sure there are far better creative examples.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

McWave wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:36 am I would think when the school gets involved (i.e. Grambling: every student will receive NIL money) the school opens itself up to an equality lawsuit. Now if an individual/business negotiates a deal with the student athlete directly, I don't see the school as liable. However, you know the school will be involved. I don't think a school will want a team/player to sign a NIL deal with a socially unacceptable group. Let your imaginations run wild. The Rha Shop comes to mind but I am sure there are far better creative examples.
Nico Marley would have been a terrific spokesperson for the Rha Shop. He probably would had make millions for that type of NIL. Nothing wrong with that. His grandfather was a legend and known for it besides his music.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Louisiana proposal 250
Will allow schools to pay athletes. Looks like LSU can’t let Texas A$M get ahead buying recruiting classes. Tulane even got a mention.
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... cc43e.html
An amended bill proposed in Louisiana would let state universities and their employees compensate players for the use of their name, image and likeness; facilitate NIL deals; and give boosters more freedom to pay prospective recruits.
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

It's a shame Tulane doesn't have two NIL pennies to rub together, otherwise, this might be meaningful.
anEngineer
Riptide

MicMan wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:17 am It's a shame Tulane doesn't have two NIL pennies to rub together, otherwise, this might be meaningful.
What are you basing this statement on? It is flat out NOT true. You're just making it up because you want to complain. Does Tulane have a mega-doner giving $10M for players? No, but Tulane has been very pro-active with helping players understand what they are doing and setting up the infrastructure to facilitate it. Fear The Wave is working to create a portal for people to funnel money through to the athletes. Just because YOU don't see it, doesn't mean it's not happening.
MicMan
Swell

"working to create a portal for people to funnel money through to the athletes.""

sounds like a plan lol