NIL impact

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:40 am
golfnut69 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:03 am
HoustonWave wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:55 am

Laughable. The NCAA must enjoy the legal slap downs they’ve been getting. “Thank you sir, may I have another.”
your uote works.... the ncaa is beign run like an "Animal House"...now the real question, what unknow actor, said that famous line .....
None other than the man of six degrees— Kevin Bacon.
HOU...U da' winnah !!!!... U get a sleep over at TD's house !!!!

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

P5’s MBB and FB players should expect to receive a minimum of $50K a year to play ball.
Every player. The great ones can expect $1 million plus.
https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory ... s-84625742
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No one is an expert on NIL at this point in time. Just all WAGs.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Newell Norman on WWL radio just spent an hour talking about the NIL stuff. It was funny to listen to the LSU fans calling in complaining about Texas A&M buying players and then of course they had to mention how schools like Tulane will never have a chance.
Newell made a point that any kid getting NIL $$ should have his or her tuition scholarship decreased by that amount so no taxpayer should fund any tuition from athletes getting paid.
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

Seismic change transforming college sports and we have heard next to nothing from Tulane leadership.

The message from Gibson Hall is clear.

They don't want our money.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ohio St needs $13 million NIL to keep its current roster.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 496445001/
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:17 pm Newell Norman on WWL radio just spent an hour talking about the NIL stuff. It was funny to listen to the LSU fans calling in complaining about Texas A&M buying players and then of course they had to mention how schools like Tulane will never have a chance.
Newell made a point that any kid getting NIL $$ should have his or her tuition scholarship decreased by that amount so no taxpayer should fund any tuition from athletes getting paid.
Great idea. Universities are providing the platform for these athletes to generate their NIL $$$. Hence the universities should charge the athlete a fee for such support or reduce the scholarship money. But of course, that will never happen since the football factories will just consider it all another "cost of doing business". It's IRS that should be looking at whether scholarships should become taxable, especially if the athletes become "employees". In the meantime, taxing NIL money should be a no brainer, or don't allow the alum businesses to deduct their "marketing" expenses.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Exactly
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:24 pm Ohio St needs $13 million NIL to keep its current roster.
Jesus. We trying to raise $100K in the meantime. This has gotten out of control. LSU even screwed.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:16 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:24 pm Ohio St needs $13 million NIL to keep its current roster.
Jesus. We trying to raise $100K in the meantime. This has gotten out of control. LSU even screwed.
No. LSU will pay up. No way they are going to let Texas A&M and Bama buy titles. Louisiana has a lot of LSU bag men.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

We ain't even in the game. Even among the P5 schools, the only ones that will be able to raise the big NIL dollars will be those schools who have maintained a close relationship with their wealthy and/or entrepreneurial alums that support athletics. Tulane checks none of the boxes.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:10 am
We ain't even in the game. Even among the P5 schools, the only ones that will be able to raise the big NIL dollars will be those schools who have maintained a close relationship with their wealthy and/or entrepreneurial alums that support athletics. Tulane checks none of the boxes.
HOUwave...Tulane does check one of the boxes: "none of the above"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:59 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:10 am
HOUwave...Tulane does check one of the boxes: "none of the above"
You're absolutely right Golf. How could I forget the box that Tulane's been checking for over 70 years. :lol: :lol:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Louisiana updates it’s NIL law to help LSU compete with the rest of the P5’s
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 11706.html
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Interesting observations about NIL’s college FB is becoming more and more like the NFL
P5 schools now considering a GM to manage NIL distribution.
https://theathletic.com/3391701/2022/07 ... ed_article
Interestingly, recruiting staffers — the people who are in charge of formulating roster-building plans — were starting to earn the title of general manager before NIL legislation passed. Though people who work in these college football programs don’t have any say in how NIL money is spent or what players or recruits stand to earn — or at least they aren’t supposed to — it has never felt more like a GM job.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:03 pm Bama players rack up $3 million 🥺🥺
https://theathletic.com/news/nick-saban ... T31U5RWHE/
those Texas A&M people be damned....they wanna buy players, I'll show'em how it's done
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:20 pm
those Texas A&M people be damned....they wanna buy players, I'll show'em how it's done
A&M players got $30 million I believe
https://brobible.com/sports/article/tex ... nil-money/
Apparently, Texas A&M’s 2022 recruiting class is set to cost the school’s boosters upwards of $30 million in deals for NIL when the prospects officially enroll.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:25 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:20 pm
A&M players got $30 million I believe
https://brobible.com/sports/article/tex ... nil-money/
Apparently, Texas A&M’s 2022 recruiting class is set to cost the school’s boosters upwards of $30 million in deals for NIL when the prospects officially enroll.
damn...then ole Nick and the bama boosters need to take more lessons, or get more boosters with $$ to give
anEngineer
Riptide

I have an LSU friend who was moaning about not being able to compete financially against the schools with big money donors. He felt it wasn't fair.. It was hard not to laugh out loud. The real problem for them is that the money has to come from outside the school so the state legislature can't bail them out with tax-payer money.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They don't get bailed out with tax payer money. They have fans with money and the department for years donated millions to the school at the end of each year. They will have money to compete in the NIL market.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Texas Tech boosters to pay each
player on the roster $25K
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ide-deals/
A collective at Texas Tech is promising to sign every scholarship player and a number of walk-ons to a $25,000 name, image and likeness (NIL) contract. The Matador Club, a collective run by five Texas Tech graduates, has proposed signing 100 players -- all 85 scholarship players and 15 walk-ons -- to one-year contracts that can be renewed heading into next season.
Tulane Class of 1981
McWave
High Tide

I ran into an LSU/Astros (Houston) fan and I found it hilariously hypocritical his view on the NY Yankees payroll. Bitching and moaning how NYY bought championships. Then transitioned into his LSU needed to up NIL deals. I had to walk away before I burst out laughing. That said. I would expect a future bill to funnel LA general fund dollars to athletes via Louisiana tourism (psa) funds. Just put an athlete is a commercial promoting Louisiana. That’s your tax dollars at work.
anEngineer
Riptide

McWave wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:06 pm I ran into an LSU/Astros (Houston) fan and I found it hilariously hypocritical his view on the NY Yankees payroll. Bitching and moaning how NYY bought championships. Then transitioned into his LSU needed to up NIL deals. I had to walk away before I burst out laughing. That said. I would expect a future bill to funnel LA general fund dollars to athletes via Louisiana tourism (psa) funds. Just put an athlete is a commercial promoting Louisiana. That’s your tax dollars at work.
That's the problem for them. The state can't bail them out because the money can't come through the state system. It has to be private booster money. The entire system has been flipped upside down to benefit big money donors and LSU knows they can't compete with big money states. Especially Texas.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LSU has big money donors. They are the reason LSU has top notch facilities. LSU won't have a problem competing in the NIL market.