SMU Expanding and Building

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

for their move to the Big ??? Conference
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... 0-million/
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

They received a $50million donation earmarked for athletics. We need to spend more on athletic development
McWave
High Tide

Cowen PO'd a lot of potential donors with his threat to eliminate athletics back in the early 2000's. Y'all remember his push to raise funds to keep athletics? That's one of the reasons I think alums and local supports are slow to step up. Another is the admin doesn't appear to want support from those with historical ties to TU. So we get interloping leaders who supporters don't trust.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:03 pm They received a $50million donation earmarked for athletics. We need to spend more on athletic development
I am shocked, the mansion owners on Mockingbird Lane have not blocked this expansion
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:03 pm They received a $50million donation earmarked for athletics. We need to spend more on athletic development
I been around a long time. It ain't going to happen. We are what we are. It is what it is!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

McWave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:22 pm Cowen PO'd a lot of potential donors with his threat to eliminate athletics back in the early 2000's. Y'all remember his push to raise funds to keep athletics? That's one of the reasons I think alums and local supports are slow to step up. Another is the admin doesn't appear to want support from those with historical ties to TU. So we get interloping leaders who supporters don't trust.
But when he was ousted shouldnt they have wanted to stick it to him and make donations/come back ? I think this is an example of an area Dannen does not excel in.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:20 pm
McWave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:22 pm Cowen PO'd a lot of potential donors with his threat to eliminate athletics back in the early 2000's. Y'all remember his push to raise funds to keep athletics? That's one of the reasons I think alums and local supports are slow to step up. Another is the admin doesn't appear to want support from those with historical ties to TU. So we get interloping leaders who supporters don't trust.
But when he was ousted shouldnt they have wanted to stick it to him and make donations/come back ? I think this is an example of an area Dannen does not excel in.
And what area does Dannen excel in, other than being the NCAA board’s shoeshine boy?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Show Me
Tsunami

It’s paying off. ACC, PAC-12 and Big 12 very interested. All in talks with the Mustangs now.
https://247sports.com/Article/Conferenc ... 189929376/
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

All of this while Tulane signs an “agreement” to build a smaller stadium because of the “neighbors. Our so called AD” remains absent and HASN’T don’t a thing since his arrival! No new, significant fundraising, no new facilities and no attempt to make Tulane attractive for conference expansion.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Tulane nees to make a commit to any conference willing to listen they will move back to the Dome...do a conversion of some type to Yulman for a basketball Arena, Coaches offices and training facilites
Greeniegb
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:42 pm Tulane nees to make a commit to any conference willing to listen they will move back to the Dome...do a conversion of some type to Yulman for a basketball Arena, Coaches offices and training facilites
The Dome is "never going to happen" you look pathetic, I and many others don't want to move back into an empty dome miles from campus. That would doom Tulane football for ever. The atmostphere of victories at the Boot between students and fans is immaculate!!! Until Yulman is selling out any talk of expansion or a new home is totally rediculous. Conferences look at fan support more than stadiums. Fan support means support and money pouring into the university to fund improvements. Doming Yulman longterm might be smart if fan support grows. Then it could be multi-use facility. Indoor practice, basketball, and expanded football capacity. That is the best and economical way to go.
Show Me
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:59 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:42 pm Tulane nees to make a commit to any conference willing to listen they will move back to the Dome...do a conversion of some type to Yulman for a basketball Arena, Coaches offices and training facilites
The Dome is "never going to happen" you look pathetic, I and many others don't want to move back into an empty dome miles from campus. That would doom Tulane football for ever. The atmostphere of victories at the Boot between students and fans is immaculate!!! Until Yulman is selling out any talk of expansion or a new home is totally rediculous. Conferences look at fan support more than stadiums. Fan support means support and money pouring into the university to fund improvements. Doming Yulman longterm might be smart if fan support grows. Then it could be multi-use facility. Indoor practice, basketball, and expanded football capacity. That is the best and economical way to go.
If we play UTSA, Rice and the other CUSA teams we won’t draw flies at Yulman or the Superdome. It really depends on who you play. In the past we drew excellent crowds playing LSU, Ole Miss, Texas, Florida St, Miss St and others at the Dome. Even La Tech when we were 12-0. The Dome would work if necessary. Not every game would needed to be played there but if the conference required it I’d be fine with it.
Tulane makes more TV money in a better league the crowds won’t matter anyway.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

greeniegb...I'm pathetic, yeah sure I am....if Tulane has any thoughts on upgrading to a PEE, it better be ready to expand Yulman to a minimum of 45,000, which ain't gonna happen, and play in the Dome...U suggested doming Yulamn, I made that suggestion months ago and have already given TD the company that can dome Yulman, in the manner the Metrodome roof was installed. I was told public resistence is not going to allow that to happen...so unless Tulane is buying up property on Audubon Blvd, Poydras street is the answer....but hey, the Gulf States Conference of 1 awaits
Greeniegb
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:30 pm
greeniegb...I'm pathetic, yeah sure I am....if Tulane has any thoughts on upgrading to a PEE, it better be ready to expand Yulman to a minimum of 45,000, which ain't gonna happen, and play in the Dome...U suggested doming Yulamn, I made that suggestion months ago and have already given TD the company that can dome Yulman, in the manner the Metrodome roof was installed. I was told public resistence is not going to allow that to happen...so unless Tulane is buying up property on Audubon Blvd, Poydras street is the answer....but hey, the Gulf States Conference of 1 awaits
By the way I suggested doming Yulman two years ago. It would free up space for turning Folgleman into more of an Auditorium type facility for Academics. That would be a good sell to the University. The current practice field could be used for something else, soccer, tennis, anything maybe expand Wilson Center.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The current practice field is the space where the football ops. building will go if Tulane can ever raise the money.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:35 pm It’s paying off. ACC, PAC-12 and Big 12 very interested. All in talks with the Mustangs now.
If tulane was located in the Dallas TV market, they would be talking with td and fitts...it ain't da school, it's the media market...the Pac12 is desperate to replace the number 3 media market LA, ,,, Dallas (5th), San Antonio (31) are it's best hope and gives them Central Time Zone exposure....Houston (8th) would have been a nice pick up, but UH is off to the big12
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:08 am
Show Me wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:35 pm It’s paying off. ACC, PAC-12 and Big 12 very interested. All in talks with the Mustangs now.
If tulane was located in the Dallas TV market, they would be talking with td and fitts...it ain't da school, it's the media market...the Pac12 is desperate to replace the number 3 media market LA, ,,, Dallas (5th), San Antonio (31) are it's best hope and gives them Central Time Zone exposure....Houston (8th) would have been a nice pick up, but UH is off to the big12
This. Tulane’s biggest challenges are being located in Louisiana and New Orleans (both individually and together), and, if Tulane was located in Houston or San Antonio, it would either already be in a P5 or in line for any future expansion of the P5.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:42 am
This. Tulane’s biggest challenges are being located in Louisiana and New Orleans (both individually and together), and, if Tulane was located in Houston or San Antonio, it would either already be in a P5 or in line for any future expansion of the P5.
an FYI, the big12 does not need smu, there are enuff alums from TCU, Texas Tech, Ok State, Kansas and K-State living in metro Dallas that smu is not needed for any media negotiations...the ACC and pac-whatever the number, do need it....at present, UTSA is in a better expansion position, because of the media market, than Tulane..and I do not want to hear jack krap about some aau status or some other academic standing...this is business and sports...
Greeniegb
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:03 pm
an FYI, the big12 does not need smu, there are enuff alums from TCU, Texas Tech, Ok State, Kansas and K-State living in metro Dallas that smu is not needed for any media negotiations...the ACC and pac-whatever the number, do need it....at present, UTSA is in a better expansion position, because of the media market, than Tulane..and I do not want to hear jack krap about some aau status or some other academic standing...this is business and sports...
Key is what voice will Houston, UCF and Cincinati will have in expansion. Tulane and Houston would be a great rivalry, also UCF and Cincinati are decent rivalries.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Greeniegb wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:46 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:03 pm

Key is what voice will Houston, UCF and Cincinati will have in expansion. Tulane and Houston would be a great rivalry, also UCF and Cincinati are decent rivalries.

if the big12 expands, it's first calls are to Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah..if they stay with the pac12 the big12 first calls are to USF and Memphis...UCF would likme to have USF Cincy ansd WVA woild want Memphis...UH may want Tulane over SMU just becasue they would not have to recruit against SMU for instate recruits and gives them a slight inroad into Louisiana recruiting...but Tulane is on the last page of schools to be called...the ACC because they flaunt their AAU's may have some interest in Tulane and the central time zone, the big12 could give a flying azz less about AAU, readin' writtin' or arithmetic, no matta' what they say in public
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Fact is if Tulane was located in Dallas or San Antonio or anywhere other than New Orleans it would have been out of business a long time ago. New Orleans is its draw. Currently it doesn't matter that it's not located in a major media market because of its horrific athletic record over the last 73 years since de-emphasis. It was asked above why was Tulane mentioned in 2016 and not now for realignment. It's because when it came out that Tulane was under consideration there was a revolt by the fans of the Big 12 because Tulane athletics is seen for the loser it has been for so long. Many in the Big East saw it the same way. If movement doesn't happen for a year the only slight hope is for us to win the AAC in football and win the NY6 Bowl and have basketball make the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tourney. Throw in NOLA and the chance to stick it to LSU and the SEC by planting its flag here and getting an inroad to La.'s fertile recruiting grounds and you have something.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yet tourists still come in droves and Tulane despite the ridiculous tuition keeps seeing enrollment grow.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:37 pm Yet tourists still come in droves and Tulane despite the ridiculous tuition keeps seeing enrollment grow.
I know when I travel to metro NOLA, I bring my 3 best freinds, Misters Smith, Wesson and Glock... and many times I ask them if they would like to come with me to Houston
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Your usual stock response. It doesn't change the fact that people still love the city and and love to come to it. it's a major drawing card so you can try to make light of it all you want but you're not changing anyone's minds.