Next up - SMU Basketball 1/15 2PM EST

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

1/15
SMU
Mustangs
12-4, 3-1 CONF
2PM EST

@ Fogelman. We need a homecourt advantage. SMU's Kendrick Davis is one of the best guards in the entire country who has won National Player of the week and a whole host of other awards including being on the 2021-22 Wooden Award Watch List, Naismith Trophy Watch List, Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Award Watch List, Lute Olson National Player of the Year Watch List and was a unanimous preseason All-American Athletic Conference First-Team selection.

I saw this posted elsewhere, would really love for us to not be last in the conference, is middle of the pack asking for too much.

Average Home Attendance as of 1/11/22:

Cincy...........8,886
ECU............2,980
Houston......6,970
Memphis.. 13,592
SMU...........3,280
Temple.......3,707
Tulane........1,082
Tulsa..........2,565
UCF............4,527
USF............2,447
WSU..........8,124

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Unfortunately the program has been down for two decades. This conference has turned out just like I said it would when we got in. It's just not that good. Memphis was always an automatic sell out at home for us. That stopped several years ago. They just aren't a draw anymore. We're lucky if we get the place half full for that game now. They and Cincy are not top programs as they were back when we were also good long ago. This is a sports town and people know the deal. These wins are fun for us but to the casual fan we still haven't beaten anyone. They also know Memphis was missing 3 starters and WSU was missing 2. Then there's COVID. You've got some in the I am not going because I have to wear a mask crowd and then others who don't want to risk being out during this most contagious version. So I doubt we see any noticeable uptick anytime soon. Out actual attendance even when students are in town are at best between 500 and 1,000. IIRC Tulane pushed back the start of this semester so no students Saturday. We are starting to get some media coverage but unfortunately LSU is 14-1 and getting closer to the top 10. That also hurts us. The team just has to keep winning and beat Houston. Then hopefully late in the year we can play meaningful home games with solid attendance. Don't fan bash. WIN! AND KEEP WINNING!!! Roll ON!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
anEngineer
Riptide

I wonder how many of those other arenas are under mask mandates. Would the city even allow 3000 in Devlin sitting up against each other, yelling and screaming with useless cloth masks on? When idiots vote for other idiots, this is what happens.
Show Me
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:55 pm I wonder how many of those other arenas are under mask mandates. Would the city even allow 3000 in Devlin sitting up against each other, yelling and screaming with useless cloth masks on? When idiots vote for other idiots, this is what happens.
Alabama vs Auburn game recently was packed to the brim and no masks. To each his own. I now enjoy watching the games on ESPN+ then to attend in person wearing a mask in an empty gym. Nothing will ever compare to the Perry days. The competition in this league is lacking. We lost to many garbage teams early on. If we ever reach post season for a few years in a row then you may see an uptick. NOLA is not a basketball town. The Pels can’t draw flies either. Not since the days of Maravich did this town care about basketball.
Meanwhile in BR LSU women just put 10K in the stands when they faced USC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:03 pm 1/15
SMU
Mustangs
12-4, 3-1 CONF
2PM EST

@ Fogelman. We need a homecourt advantage. SMU's Kendrick Davis is one of the best guards in the entire country who has won National Player of the week and a whole host of other awards including being on the 2021-22 Wooden Award Watch List, Naismith Trophy Watch List, Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Award Watch List, Lute Olson National Player of the Year Watch List and was a unanimous preseason All-American Athletic Conference First-Team selection.

I saw this posted elsewhere, would really love for us to not be last in the conference, is middle of the pack asking for too much.

Average Home Attendance as of 1/11/22:

Cincy...........8,886
ECU............2,980
Houston......6,970
Memphis.. 13,592
SMU...........3,280
Temple.......3,707
Tulane........1,082
Tulsa..........2,565
UCF............4,527
USF............2,447
WSU..........8,124
Actually, considering more than half the conference is AVERAGING more attendance than Devlin has seats, its IMPOSSIBLE for us to be middle of the pack.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Show Me wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:48 pm
anEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:55 pm I wonder how many of those other arenas are under mask mandates. Would the city even allow 3000 in Devlin sitting up against each other, yelling and screaming with useless cloth masks on? When idiots vote for other idiots, this is what happens.
Alabama vs Auburn game recently was packed to the brim and no masks. To each his own. I now enjoy watching the games on ESPN+ then to attend in person wearing a mask in an empty gym. Nothing will ever compare to the Perry days. The competition in this league is lacking. We lost to many garbage teams early on. If we ever reach post season for a few years in a row then you may see an uptick. NOLA is not a basketball town. The Pels can’t draw flies either. Not since the days of Maravich did this town care about basketball.
Meanwhile in BR LSU women just put 10K in the stands when they faced USC.
Its not that NOLA isn't a basketball town. Its that we're not a loser town. When Pels were winning, they were packing the arena. Go back and check the attendance in 2007-08 when they finished as the #2 seed. Check the attendance the year that they swept the Trailblazers in the first round as a #6 seed. (2017-18 I think?) Win and they draw, unless they're up against an LSU or Saints football game. Until they ever put together a string of several winning seasons and postseason appearances, you'll never know what their potential is. Even the Saints pre-2005 had times where the Dome was only half full.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:18 pm The prophet:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 979b1.html
Sometimes you just have to see it in writing to grasp just how bad our basketball program has been the last 20+ years.

Tulane is looking for its first three-game home-conference winning streak since 2006-07 after becoming the last Division I team to win two in a row since the start of 2014-15.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

SMU is favored by 2.
Show Me
Tsunami

What is wrong with the floor in the arena? Players are slipping left and right. Something needs to get done before we have a serious injury.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Game was close throughout but the Wave falls 75-66.
greenie78
Riptide

Bad quality all around. Fan support made it feel like a neutral court game. The team didn’t show up either and lost a crucial game with forced shots, turnovers, missed FTs, and bad 3-pt defense. Also the refs sucked too.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The difference SMU ended the game with a 10-0 run.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

Free throw differential was significant. The charge call against Cross was horrible and a huge turning point. The fathead ref that called it has cost us games before. He is the type that makes up his mind what will probably happen before anything actually occurs.
RobertM320
Green Wave

greenie78 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:47 pm Bad quality all around. Fan support made it feel like a neutral court game. The team didn’t show up either and lost a crucial game with forced shots, turnovers, missed FTs, and bad 3-pt defense. Also the refs sucked too.
The team didn't show up? Inside 4 minutes it was a one point game. Call them out when warranted, but don't trash the effort when it was clearly there. Did they play as good as they can? No.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

hullabaloo
Ripple

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:41 pm
greenie78 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:47 pm Bad quality all around. Fan support made it feel like a neutral court game. The team didn’t show up either and lost a crucial game with forced shots, turnovers, missed FTs, and bad 3-pt defense. Also the refs sucked too.
The team didn't show up? Inside 4 minutes it was a one point game. Call them out when warranted, but don't trash the effort when it was clearly there. Did they play as good as they can? No.
It was a one point game with 1:40 to go. The first half was some of the best basketball we have played all year. We went cold at the wrong time and lost to a really good team that can shoot and is littered with seniors. Still a lot to be excited about for the rest of the year going into next year.
Tulane1111
High Tide

Box score says they took 33 3’s & only 19 2’s, can that be right??

Their main guy did a Wilt Chamberlain, 7-10 from 3, Wilts were from 2.

Not a bad strategy for them on the road!😳😳… once in a lifetime….
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:04 pm The difference SMU ended the game with a 10-0 run.
Hunter should had called a timeout to stop that that run.
wavemania
Surge

fan support may not come back till the ridiculous mandates in New Orleans are lifted.
Show Me
Tsunami

wavemania wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:51 pm fan support may not come back till the ridiculous mandates in New Orleans are lifted.
Yes. I know a few guys that won’t go to New Orleans at all until the mandate is lifted