NIL Money and Where to Spend It

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
McWave
High Tide

Should TU target students outside football and basketball for NIL money? I would assume NIL money is most often offered to football and basketball recruits/players. Would it benefit TU to target baseball players where the dollars may go further? Big fish in little pond scenario.

NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I would think you really need to have some sort of success around your team or program for the NIL to be beneficial to the school. Sure, a stud player can bring in some $$$, but if the team they're on sucks, is the sponsorship really paying off (especially at a school like Tulane)?
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
McWave
High Tide

I was thinking more in the way of what SMU alumni were doing. Put up NIL $$$ for a stud pitcher or two. Not a real business looking to sell more cars or burgers because a TU player is in their ads. I am not sure what agreement/service needs to be provided for the payment.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

They don’t even have to sell cars or burgers anymore—just show up at some of the NIL-funding alum functions and give a pep talk. And walk out with their check.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
McWave
High Tide

for the tax lawyers out there...could a private tax-exempt education foundation be set up to raise $$$ for the purpose of NIL payments. Greenback Foundation could be the name :lol:

This would may be a way for non-university entities to better influence athletic departments. Coach identifies a player and at signing day signees are given checks to speak. More stars more $$$$. A scale could be set.

Just having fun...
Show Me
Tsunami

This NIL legislation is actually a huge opportunity for Tulane. We have some huge donors like Hertz, Glazer and Benson. We need some bright influential alums to leverage this potential advantage to get better players. I’d rather give this way then just pay Tulane admin salaries.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I don’t think tax exempt entities will work, because the NIL revenue is being “earned” by the player. So it should be taxable income to him, and likely some corresponding expense/deduction to the alum, or alum’s business, that funded the payment—like an advertising expense. The alum- entity funding the NIL payments should have to issue 1099’s to each player they have paid.

And of course the universities have no direct role in funding any of the NIL payments. But the university can just cut them a check as an “employee”. It’s all totally out of control—but the players receiving any such payments are going to get an ugly wake up call from IRS.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:39 am This NIL legislation is actually a huge opportunity for Tulane. We have some huge donors like Hertz, Glazer and Benson. We need some bright influential alums to leverage this potential advantage to get better players. I’d rather give this way then just pay Tulane admin salaries.
FIRE the Admin's" and HIRE the players...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

question, why is this topic listed twice ?...please merge
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Addidas to pay all PEE & HBCU players first, then they will think about all of those "Groupie" players later
https://www.si.com/college/2022/03/23/a ... ss-network
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:38 am question, why is this topic listed twice ?...please merge
Unfortunately If there’s no similarity in the title it’s difficult to find to merge.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:38 am question, why is this topic listed twice ?...please merge
To double the chance that Dannen, Fitts or some Admins might actually read it.🤪🤪
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:06 am
To double the chance that Dannen, Fitts or some Admins might actually read it.🤪🤪
whoa !!! ya mean, they can read !?!?
McWave
High Tide

The initiative is the latest chapter of Adidas’s “Impossible Is Nothing” campaign, which promotes the brand’s goal of creating a more equitable and inclusive future in sports.

Adidas plans to roll out the wide-ranging network in four phases over the next year. First up will be the Power 5 programs and historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs), whose athletes will be able to profit off their NIL come the fall.

So they start with the largest revenue group. Ok, that makes sense.