SMU alumni group pledges $1 million annually in NIL payments to players

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... r-Football

Led by a former player. We need to get on the bandwagon NOW

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:27 pm https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... r-Football

I always thought SMU would benefit the most from NIL’s. Deep pocket donors there.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:36 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:27 pm https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... r-Football

I always thought SMU would benefit the most from NIL’s. Deep pocket donors there.
Ditto. Deep pocketed alums that are generally concentrated in the DFW area--which is a huge advantage. With Tulane's alums spread all over the country, it will take initiative from the athletic dept., to pull this kind of alum support together, for anything, NIL or otherwise. And well, we know where Dannen is spending most his time--so don't look for Tulane to do much on the NIL front.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I do not know why this is "news"...SMU boosters have been paying for years.. Hell they even paid when they went thru the "death penalty"..as one booster said.."Gentleman, we have a 'payroll' to meet"
for the youngsters of the forum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_ ... ll_scandal
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:20 am

I do not know why this is "news"...SMU boosters have been paying for years.. Hell they even paid when they went thru the "death penalty"..as one booster said.."Gentleman, we have a 'payroll' to meet"
True. SMU was way ahead of the curve. They also had the Governor helping them.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:09 am
Guv Clements gave the SMU Boosters "Special Dispensation" authority in the dispensing of Funds
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:32 am
Guv Clements gave the SMU Boosters "Special Dispensation" authority in the dispensing of Funds
Ole Clements was almost as helpful to SMU as Gov Ma Richards was in bailing Baylor out of the athletic ditch.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:13 am
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:32 am

Ole Clements was almost as helpful to SMU as Gov Ma Richards was in bailing Baylor out of the athletic ditch.
ain't dat no lie...without Ma Richards, UH was in the big12 and Baylor was left by the roadside
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

It’s news because it’s above board, legal and can be shoved up locally in the noses of our leadership. Hold feet to the fire and point to our peer universities leaving us behind (again).
MicMan
Swell

Got to put the "green" in Green Wave"!
Oh Brother
Low Tide

The university presidents have become increasingly embarrassed as millions were made on the efforts of “ student athletes”, many of whom were impoverished. The logical and equitable solution would have been to require every school to contribute a percentage of their athletic revenues to the NCAA and have every qualified athlete participate in that pool of money. They could have added some nuance based on objective standards. Instead they made it a free for all with donors vying to pay the highest fee for rights to the players. The stunt that Sanders pulled today should cause some discussion on how this new rule should be regulated. But having said this, pay to play in some form isn’t going away soon and Tulane needs to get in the game. We need some of our former and present NFL guys to lead the effort!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Most schools still lose money on athletics. Those student/athletes have full scholarships, free room and board , stipends , per diem and full cost of attendance payments. They have never been impoverished. Sanders didn't pull a stunt. He played by the rules.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

MicMan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:44 pm Got to put the "green" in Green Wave"!
We already got the “green” in Green Wave—we’re green with envy.
nawlinspete
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:59 am
Unfortunately , we are not green with envy . Our administration appears to be scared shitless of being strong and successful in Athletics .

Why does our Board not take a look at how Stanford , among many other private schools enhance their reputation in their city , regionally and nationally with strong Academics and Athletics .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
HoustonWave
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:14 am
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:59 am
Unfortunately , we are not green with envy . Our administration appears to be scared shitless of being strong and successful in Athletics .

Why does our Board not take a look at how Stanford , among many other private schools enhance their reputation in their city , regionally and nationally with strong Academics and Athletics .
We the university isn't green with envy, but we the fans sure are. Gibson Hall isn't afraid of being strong and successful in athletics, they just don't care about athletics. Why does our Board not take a look at how Stanford or other private schools operate? Why does our Board do, or not do, all kinds of things--like not hiring Tulane alums for the Presidency of the university. What our Board does, and doesn't do, is a complete headscratcher--and has been for a long time.
wave97
Swell

Oh Brother wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:47 pm The university presidents have become increasingly embarrassed as millions were made on the efforts of “ student athletes”, many of whom were impoverished. The logical and equitable solution would have been to require every school to contribute a percentage of their athletic revenues to the NCAA and have every qualified athlete participate in that pool of money. They could have added some nuance based on objective standards. Instead they made it a free for all with donors vying to pay the highest fee for rights to the players. The stunt that Sanders pulled today should cause some discussion on how this new rule should be regulated. But having said this, pay to play in some form isn’t going away soon and Tulane needs to get in the game. We need some of our former and present NFL guys to lead the effort!
What in hell does "equity" bring to the table?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

SMU Chump change. Texas A$M puts up $30 million for #1 signing class
https://gigemgazette.com/2022/01/06/tex ... all-class/
Texas A&M football team’s boosters allegedly paid upwards of $30 million for the top-overall 2022 class
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:59 am SMU Chump change. Texas A$M puts up $30 million for #1 signing class
Texas A&M football team’s boosters allegedly paid upwards of $30 million for the top-overall 2022 class
juz like the "pros"...the players are making more money than the coaches
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:20 am
tpstulane wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:59 am SMU Chump change. Texas A$M puts up $30 million for #1 signing class
Here’s the next shoe to drop. Schools will suffer with donors. Those guys that put up the $30 million will no longer give to the Athletic Dept it will go straight to players. Going forward this is going to get real interesting. Booster clubs can now pay players to come out and speak. In the past they couldn’t even buy a player a hot dog.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:08 am
Here’s the next shoe to drop. Schools will suffer with donors. Those guys that put up the $30 million will no longer give to the Athletic Dept it will go straight to players. Going forward this is going to get real interesting. Booster clubs can now pay players to come out and speak. In the past they couldn’t even buy a player a hot dog.
Reggie Bush wuz a man before his time...teh Pete Carroll- USC blueprint is now legal
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:35 am
Reggie Bush wuz a man before his time...teh Pete Carroll- USC blueprint is now legal
Yep
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:35 am
Reggie Bush wuz a man before his time...the Pete Carroll- USC blueprint is now legal
HoustonWave
Tsunami

The Wild Wild West is in full bloom. The NIL money is taking off even faster than I expected. What do you think the Bamas , Georgias and Floridas are going to do in response to the aTm revelation? The sky is the limit. Of all the recent changes in college athletics, the NIL game is the one that is going to force a huge split in the FBS classification—them’s that got it, and them’s that don’t—like Tulane. The gap is already huge, and the “cover charge”
Is only going to get higher.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Is it only a coincidence that our D1 killing, D III touting, BCS challenging, former prez is brought back onto the Tulane scene just as the FBS “cover charge” is sky-rocketing? Tulane has no chance of keeping up with the FBS world, nor do many other schools that might try, for a time. Cowen, the athletic de-emphasis and downgrade expert will soon “be in the house”.
GreenLantern
Riptide

It will be interesting to see how much NIL money will be given to a player of the caliber of Arch Manning.

Forget all the traditional reasons for attending a particular school: quality of education; close to home; family connections; high school friends attending…. It will be impossible for young players to ignore dollar amounts that could position them for a financial lifetime.