What Happened to Tulane FB?

The leading blog for Tulane fans. Coverage on FTW & Twitter for Green Wave Football, Hoops, Baseball and more.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

That was a good read. The key to understanding Tulane’s football issues is that Tulane’s challenges are fairly unique at the FBS level (i.e. relatively low enrollment high tuition private school in an urban environment that predominantly recruits its student body outside of the south while existing in a state with 5 FBS programs with the other 4 being public schools that predominantly recruit their student bodies in state/south - that creates tons of issues for Tulane) and that given that that is the case, it’s not possible for Tulane to solve them by following what other FBS schools have chosen to do.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I agree with his take on Admissions but disagree with the schedule. We haven’t won game against a FBS team yet. When we scheduled Ole Miss years ago they weren’t very good. Its impossible to predict these things. They only thing easy to predict is that Tulane will continue disappoint no matter who we schedule. You know It’s bad when you begin lose recruits to La Tech and ULL.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Weak piece. It's why I said that FTW didn't deserve its own forum. Just a couple of fans writing on their own fan forum. Willie has thrown in the towel and brought out the loser excuse every loser before him has brought out. Not one has ever gone on to win at another FBS school. NOT. A . SINGLE. ONE. Let Willie trot out that long list of stud recruits he had committed and they got turned down. Doesn't exist. We don't get stud recruits because of our lack of facilities. They take their 5 visits and they see the stark contrast in facilities between those 4 and us. Yes even a ULL has better facilities. It's also why we can't get good coaches. They see the lack of facilities and know they won't be able to recruit or develop players here. That's what happened.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:09 am Weak piece. It's why I said that FTW didn't deserve its own forum. Just a couple of fans writing on their own fan forum. Willie has thrown in the towel and brought out the loser excuse every loser before him has brought out. Not one has ever gone on to win at another FBS school. NOT. A . SINGLE. ONE. Let Willie trot out that long list of stud recruits he had committed and they got turned down. Doesn't exist. We don't get stud recruits because of our lack of facilities. They take their 5 visits and they see the stark contrast in facilities between those 4 and us. Yes even a ULL has better facilities. It's also why we can't get good coaches. They see the lack of facilities and know they won't be able to recruit or develop players here. That's what happened.
Dammit, stop clouding the issue with fact !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

And things at Tulane will never change unless and until we get a strong President who understands the benefits of a quality athletic program and the many ways it benefits the University. For many of the alumni, its one very important way we stay connected to the school! WE will never get that President because the people who hire could care less about a successful athletic program. How many here have started out being so optimistic preseason only for the football program to disappoint ! I think any enthusiasm at this point is a waste of energy. We got a bunch of people just milking the school. Results do not count here.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Bigschtick wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:45 am And things at Tulane will never change unless and until we get a strong President who understands the benefits of a quality athletic program and the many ways it benefits the University. For many of the alumni, its one very important way we stay connected to the school! WE will never get that President because the people who hire could care less about a successful athletic program. How many here have started out being so optimistic preseason only for the football program to disappoint ! I think any enthusiasm at this point is a waste of energy. We got a bunch of people just milking the school. Results do not count here.
Getting the President to buy in would be the hardest part. From the perspective of the President:

1. The undergrad population does not cite athletics as one of their primary reasons for choosing Tulane over alternative institutions, so an improvement in football would have a negligible impact on applications (45k+), acceptance rate (<10%), and yield (45%) - all variables that are approaching their realistic limits regardless of the football product or anything else Tulane could do to improve them.

2. Tulane has been raising significant sums of money each year (i.e. $127M from fiscal year 2019-2020 - the 3rd highest in Tulane's history, the 4th straight year raising $120M+ and Tulane has raised $1.17B of its $1.3B for the Only the Audacious campaign), however, even with those sums Tulane is not able to fully support its academic side in the manner that it desires to be able to (i.e. Tulane doesn't meet 100% of need, Tulane needs more money to offer more scholarships in order to buy test scores for its ranking for its law and business schools, professors need more resources, etc.), and, given that that is the case, it would be difficult to justify siphoning money away from academics to give to athletics in light of 1 above and its on-going success in raising money without elite athletics.

and

3. Tulane could funnel tons money into athletics, but there would be no where close to a guarantee that Tulane would ever be able to join a conference where the athletic department would be generating enough revenue to give money back to the academic side even if Tulane started regularly winning 8-9 games.
Wave755
Tsunami

And, damn it, here is another "fact"- I sure wish WF had made a better hire for Defensive Coordinstor for this season. The head coach is the CEO, Chairman of the Board of the football team - WF really "screwed the pooch" on this one, a failure of judgment on his part which I think goes a long way to explaining this season.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:24 pm And, damn it, here is another "fact"- I sure wish WF had made a better hire for Defensive Coordinstor for this season. The head coach is the CEO, Chairman of the Board of the football team - WF really "screwed the pooch" on this one, a failure of judgment on his part which I think goes a long way to explaining this season.
I think ole willie is scared shitless to hire qualified people, that is the reason Nick Saban hires the dregs of the coaching world, all so he can look smarter than anyone on the Staff
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

If Tulane does not give a crap if they put a winning program on the field, then drop the sport! I would rather see that than an embarrassment each week. I mean if they cannot even fill the stadium halfway, then fuhgedaboutit! I did not decide to go to Tulane based on athletics but that does not mean I did not support the program from day one. Once again, a winning athletic program brings new fans, alumni support and money.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
oliveandblue
Surge

Bigschtick wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:51 pm If Tulane does not give a crap if they put a winning program on the field, then drop the sport! I would rather see that than an embarrassment each week. I mean if they cannot even fill the stadium halfway, then fuhgedaboutit! I did not decide to go to Tulane based on athletics but that does not mean I did not support the program from day one. Once again, a winning athletic program brings new fans, alumni support and money.
I REALLY like Fitts as our President. Dannen at AD should be in MUCH hotter water - he needs Ron Hunter to bail him out.

Fitts hired Dannen to deliver on athletics.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

oliveandblue wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:01 pm
Bigschtick wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:51 pm If Tulane does not give a crap if they put a winning program on the field, then drop the sport! I would rather see that than an embarrassment each week. I mean if they cannot even fill the stadium halfway, then fuhgedaboutit! I did not decide to go to Tulane based on athletics but that does not mean I did not support the program from day one. Once again, a winning athletic program brings new fans, alumni support and money.
I REALLY like Fitts as our President. Dannen at AD should be in MUCH hotter water - he needs Ron Hunter to bail him out.

Fitts hired Dannen to deliver on athletics.
based on results, TD should be a waiter at Morning Call, or at the NOLA Original Daiquiris on St Charles at "riverbend"
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:54 am
Bigschtick wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:45 am And things at Tulane will never change unless and until we get a strong President who understands the benefits of a quality athletic program and the many ways it benefits the University. For many of the alumni, its one very important way we stay connected to the school! WE will never get that President because the people who hire could care less about a successful athletic program. How many here have started out being so optimistic preseason only for the football program to disappoint ! I think any enthusiasm at this point is a waste of energy. We got a bunch of people just milking the school. Results do not count here.
Getting the President to buy in would be the hardest part. From the perspective of the President:

1. The undergrad population does not cite athletics as one of their primary reasons for choosing Tulane over alternative institutions, so an improvement in football would have a negligible impact on applications (45k+), acceptance rate (<10%), and yield (45%) - all variables that are approaching their realistic limits regardless of the football product or anything else Tulane could do to improve them.

2. Tulane has been raising significant sums of money each year (i.e. $127M from fiscal year 2019-2020 - the 3rd highest in Tulane's history, the 4th straight year raising $120M+ and Tulane has raised $1.17B of its $1.3B for the Only the Audacious campaign), however, even with those sums Tulane is not able to fully support its academic side in the manner that it desires to be able to (i.e. Tulane doesn't meet 100% of need, Tulane needs more money to offer more scholarships in order to buy test scores for its ranking for its law and business schools, professors need more resources, etc.), and, given that that is the case, it would be difficult to justify siphoning money away from academics to give to athletics in light of 1 above and its on-going success in raising money without elite athletics.

and

3. Tulane could funnel tons money into athletics, but there would be no where close to a guarantee that Tulane would ever be able to join a conference where the athletic department would be generating enough revenue to give money back to the academic side even if Tulane started regularly winning 8-9 games.
Excellent post! That pretty much sums it up. However if we did have a successful athletic program you would very likely see applications and donations increase just look to Alabama and see how a winning FB program improved their entire university including applications.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:00 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:54 am

and

Excellent post! That pretty much sums it up. However if we did have a successful athletic program you would very likely see applications and donations increase just look to Alabama and see how a winning FB program improved their entire university including applications.
And, at USN&WR #148 'Bama at least out ranks LSWho?🤔🤷‍♂️
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/un ... abama-1051
IM42lane
Swell

When does Dannen move on to his next job?

Go NOW for all I care.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:37 pm And, at USN&WR #148 'Bama at least out ranks LSWho?🤔🤷‍♂️

Here’s an article from 2015 and it still applies today.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/236 ... bans-value
That on-field success generates financial prosperity, as detailed below, and also makes Alabama a top choice for students and athletes alike. In 2007, Alabama had an acceptance rate of 77%. Today, rivals like Auburn and LSU are still at that near-80% rate; Alabama now accepts just 53% of applicants.

From 2018. Winning elevates the Alabama brand and brings mega money to the state.
https://theworld.org/stories/2018-04-10 ... onal-brand
One can determine that each home football game brings the state $25 million in tax revenue. The school also annually takes in tens of millions more in ticket sales, advertising, and television fees. .
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

I wouldn't count on an Alabama-like return on your investment.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:08 pm I wouldn't count on an Alabama-like return on your investment.
:o :o :o :D
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:40 pm
Wave755 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:37 pm And, at USN&WR #148 'Bama at least out ranks LSWho?🤔🤷‍♂️

That on-field success generates financial prosperity, as detailed below, and also makes Alabama a top choice for students and athletes alike. In 2007, Alabama had an acceptance rate of 77%. Today, rivals like Auburn and LSU are still at that near-80% rate; Alabama now accepts just 53% of applicants.

From 2018. Winning elevates the Alabama brand and brings mega money to the state.
One can determine that each home football game brings the state $25 million in tax revenue. The school also annually takes in tens of millions more in ticket sales, advertising, and television fees. .
‘Bama’s acceptance rate was 80% for fall 2020 according USN&WR. Click on to the USN&WR link I have cited just upthread.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:40 pm

The differences between Alabama and Tulane are of such a magnitude that it would be difficult to justify comparing the two or to point to Alabama as a blueprint for Tulane to follow.
1989alum
Low Tide

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:50 pm
Wave755 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:24 pm And, damn it, here is another "fact"- I sure wish WF had made a better hire for Defensive Coordinstor for this season. The head coach is the CEO, Chairman of the Board of the football team - WF really "screwed the pooch" on this one, a failure of judgment on his part which I think goes a long way to explaining this season.
I think ole willie is scared shitless to hire qualified people, that is the reason Nick Saban hires the dregs of the coaching world, all so he can look smarter than anyone on the Staff

Nick Saban hires the dregs of the coaching world? That is a stupid fucking statement. Kirby Smart, Jimbo Fisher, Lane Kiffin, Sark the dregs of the coaching world? Give me a fucking break. Nick Saban does not need to look smarter than anyone on his staff. He already is smarter with his 7 rings.
Wave755
Tsunami

If Jack Curtis were still DC, we would probably be 4-3 right now and on course for a 7-5 season; not great but with Oklahoma and a Lane Kiffin rejuvenated Ole Miss on the schedule, acceptable. This one is on WF, and not Michael Fitts and the administration.
Jaxwave
Swell

Were there any budget constraints on hiring a DC? Did Willie hire Hampton just to quickly get a guy who would accept the lower contract amount?
Wave755
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:54 pm Were there any budget constraints on hiring a DC? Did Willie hire Hampton just to quickly get a guy who would accept the lower contract amount?
🤷🏻‍♂️ We can afford Chip Long and before him Will Hall for OC?
nawlinspete
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:51 pm If Jack Curtis were still DC, we would probably be 4-3 right now and on course for a 7-5 season; not great but with Oklahoma and a Lane Kiffin rejuvenated Ole Miss on the schedule, acceptable. This one is on WF, and not Michael Fitts and the administration.
Agree . Sure that Fritz wishes he had this one back .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .