Teams being considered for the Big 12?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
MicMan
Swell

"Hopefully'

lol

wave97
Swell

Greeniegb wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:02 am
wavemania wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:33 pm i'm sure there are fans like me that will be happy to go back to games. BUT IF TULANE IS GOING TO STILL HAVE A VAX CARD MANDATE, THEN I'LL STAY HOME.
Selfishness has no place in society, Vaccinations protect y0u, family and friends.
WOW, just wow.
wave97
Swell

The SAA, here we come my friends.
We'll have the most pleasant stadium of all to watch kids play football and attend class
Sign me up.
Thanks Troy....
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:30 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:24 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:44 pm Speaking of the Big 12, they finally made Bowlsby walk the plank. Of course, it's all dressed up as another "retirement". It's generally acknowledged that he was asleep at the wheel when the SEC snuck in and grabbed his two crown jewels--thereby gelding him.
I wonda if TD has submitted his resume'
Good question, 'nut. How about another one: If he got the job, would that hinder or help Tulane's chances at getting an invite? Lots of angles on that one.
I bet it would not help us having Dannen as Big 12 Commish. Notwithstanding his own non-performance, he’s got an up close personal of how broken Gibson Hall is when it comes to intercollegiate athletics. That would probably do us in.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Boise state just announced major facility upgrades. They join SMU and USF who also made similir announcements.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:31 am Boise state just announced major facility upgrades. They join SMU and USF who also made similir announcements.
And Tulane continues to live in its stupor.
Show Me
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:59 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:31 am Boise state just announced major facility upgrades. They join SMU and USF who also made similir announcements.
Exactly what I’ve been waiting 6 years on Dannen for. We are going to miss the boat and have the last seat on the Titanic.
Greeniegb
Swell

Show Me wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:49 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:59 pm
Exactly what I’ve been waiting 6 years on Dannen for. We are going to miss the boat and have the last seat on the Titanic.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The Southern Sun Conference, a Conference of One, and that one is Tulane, the only school, that has no clue, or it has a "clue" and is too damn stupid to do anything with it
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Greeniegb
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:20 am The Southern Sun Conference, a Conference of One, and that one is Tulane, the only school, that has no clue, or it has a "clue" and is too damn stupid to do anything with it
What happened to Dannen's Playbook for Tulane Athletics???
https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2011/3 ... esday.aspx

Tulane's Cowen/Dickson Playbook :P :P :P
Our vision is to develop a highly successful program (as opposed to one that has periodic winning seasons) — one that opens every campaign with the talent and resources to win our division, conference and participate in post-season games. We will not achieve this overnight but we must begin the journey for success right now with clear and unambiguous progress made every year, starting this September. The university is committed to building a successful program while adhering to its
philosophy of enrolling student-athletes who desire a rst-rate educational experience.
Our student-athletes are committing their collegiate careers to achieve at high
levels, on and off the eld, and our coaches will dedicate every bit of their talent and
experience to help them in their quest. You, too, are a member of a group that is critical to our success. You have demonstrated unbelievable loyalty and support for the Green Wave. It is my hope that within the pages of
The Playbook
you will see reasons to be optimistic about the upcoming season and that you will invest more of your resources in Tulane Football, along with the university. As the last six years have shown, if we all work together we will succeed in whatever we do. It is now time for Tulane Football to succeed and we all need to be on the same team to build a highly successful, sustainable program.
The young men in Olive and Blue will take the field on September 3 to open the
season. I hope you will be there to cheer them on. Scott S. Cowen President

page 2
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

It’s really not that hard. Announce & break ground on new ops building (that should be fully funded given they’ve been working on it for 6 years behind the scenes).

Announce $1m annual Nil Fund. (Most important)

Announce intentions to expand Yulman and Fogelman (signaling to conferences). You don’t need this funded but a simple announcement would go a long way. Usf announced their new stadium and they are nowhere near having it funded.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

We can’t play the “announcement game”. Rain Man doesn’t know what to announce, and our AD is AWOL. No adult supervision anywhere to be seen.
Show Me
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:43 am We can’t play the “announcement game”. Rain Man doesn’t know what to announce, and our AD is AWOL. No adult supervision anywhere to be seen.
This.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:24 am
golfnut69 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:20 am The Southern Sun Conference, a Conference of One, and that one is Tulane, the only school, that has no clue, or it has a "clue" and is too damn stupid to do anything with it
What happened to Dannen's Playbook for Tulane Athletics???
https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2011/3 ... esday.aspx

Tulane's Cowen/Dickson Playbook :P :P :P
Our vision is to develop a highly successful program (as opposed to one that has periodic winning seasons) — one that opens every campaign with the talent and resources to win our division, conference and participate in post-season games. We will not achieve this overnight but we must begin the journey for success right now with clear and unambiguous progress made every year, starting this September. The university is committed to building a successful program while adhering to its
philosophy of enrolling student-athletes who desire a rst-rate educational experience.
Our student-athletes are committing their collegiate careers to achieve at high
levels, on and off the eld, and our coaches will dedicate every bit of their talent and
experience to help them in their quest. You, too, are a member of a group that is critical to our success. You have demonstrated unbelievable loyalty and support for the Green Wave. It is my hope that within the pages of
The Playbook
you will see reasons to be optimistic about the upcoming season and that you will invest more of your resources in Tulane Football, along with the university. As the last six years have shown, if we all work together we will succeed in whatever we do. It is now time for Tulane Football to succeed and we all need to be on the same team to build a highly successful, sustainable program.
The young men in Olive and Blue will take the field on September 3 to open the
season. I hope you will be there to cheer them on. Scott S. Cowen President

page 2
Dannen hasn’t written the first page of any playbook—he’s too busy rewriting the NCAA’s constitution—otherwise known as the NCAA’s obituary.
anEngineer
Riptide

Does anyone know what the financial terms are for the 4 teams being added to the Big 12? What kind of money do they get right away and how long is it before they get a full share? There have been stories written about Rutgers' athletic program essentially being bankrupted while they waited 10 years for a full share of Big 10 money but being forced to spend like the rest of the conference.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:30 am Does anyone know what the financial terms are for the 4 teams being added to the Big 12? What kind of money do they get right away and how long is it before they get a full share? There have been stories written about Rutgers' athletic program essentially being bankrupted while they waited 10 years for a full share of Big 10 money but being forced to spend like the rest of the conference.
Not sure. But to save their league the Big 12 went out and recruited those four so they probably getting 100%
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:30 am Does anyone know what the financial terms are for the 4 teams being added to the Big 12? What kind of money do they get right away and how long is it before they get a full share? There have been stories written about Rutgers' athletic program essentially being bankrupted while they waited 10 years for a full share of Big 10 money but being forced to spend like the rest of the conference.
Good question. I may be off, but I vaguely recall reading something about TCU and WVa having a 4 0r 5 year ramp up to a 100% share. Even with that, even in the first year I think it was a big financial bump for TCU, and probably a push with what WVa had been getting from the Big East. If Tulane can in any way someday find itself in the "money club", it would be crazy to not expend whatever amounts are required during the ramp up period, to get to a 100% share. In the long run the payback and return is unquestioned--not even counting the likely uptick in fan interest and donations.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:01 pm This. When our fans started to drift away many moons ago I was upset with them. Then I realized it is on Tulane, like any business, to put a good product out there consistently. So I long ago stopped begrudging them. But as you noted if we start winning those fans will come back quickly. Basketball got people's attention. Hopefully baseball rights the ship and continues that momentum. Then things will be set for the football team to cash in on that by coming out the gate winning. Hoping for the best. We'll see.
Adding to this ( it probably deserves its own thread ), but even the Tulane athletics forums have seen their daily traffic plummet, especially the past couple of years. As of mid-day Tuesday (the time of this response), YOGWF has no posts on their main board since Monday. We have similar traffic and post counts here. And this is all especially very telling because these forums were/are pretty much the last place for Tulane die-hards. Once they're all gone, it will take nothing short of a miracle to make any others in the following generations. Sad, sad times. And this all lies squarely on Tulane. Not its fans, and what's left of them.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Greeniegb
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:32 am
winwave wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:01 pm This. When our fans started to drift away many moons ago I was upset with them. Then I realized it is on Tulane, like any business, to put a good product out there consistently. So I long ago stopped begrudging them. But as you noted if we start winning those fans will come back quickly. Basketball got people's attention. Hopefully baseball rights the ship and continues that momentum. Then things will be set for the football team to cash in on that by coming out the gate winning. Hoping for the best. We'll see.
Adding to this ( it probably deserves its own thread ), but even the Tulane athletics forums have seen their daily traffic plummet, especially the past couple of years. As of mid-day Tuesday (the time of this response), YOGWF has no posts on their main board since Monday. We have similar traffic and post counts here. And this is all especially very telling because these forums were/are pretty much the last place for Tulane die-hards. Once they're all gone, it will take nothing short of a miracle to make any others in the following generations. Sad, sad times. And this all lies squarely on Tulane. Not its fans, and what's left of them.
Easy to point fingers fans and the university go hand in hand, Fans fund the improvements at most universities, minus fans the sole source of income is donations. Asking the University to dole out millions with no assurances of fan support to pay for is foolhardy of any business. And to say the Saints haven't hurt is also foolhardy, all colleges in NFL towns fight for fan support.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Greeniegb wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:04 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:32 am
Easy to point fingers fans and the university go hand in hand, Fans fund the improvements at most universities, minus fans the sole source of income is donations. Asking the University to dole out millions with no assurances of fan support to pay for is foolhardy of any business. And to say the Saints haven't hurt is also foolhardy, all colleges in NFL towns fight for fan support.
TCU overcame the Cowboys; UH the Texans; the U the Dolphins; GT the Falcons; Cincy the Bengals; and so on. Sure, an NFL team does hurt college attendance, but it doesn’t keep a school from getting into the P5, and it doesn’t keep the school from putting a respectable product on the field. We can’t blame the Saints, Tulane did this to itself.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

To be fair this isn’t basketball/football season and I don’t follow baseball particularly close unless it’s a big game or end of the year.

Most posts at this point revolve around recruiting (basketball signing period starts tmrw )
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I re listened to troy dannens recent interview with kelly on fear the wave. Very Candid

The big takeaways:

1) if the big 12 had expanded by 4 teams when they looked at expansion 5 years ago, troy is certain we would have been an added. Not because of athletic prowess but because of New Orleans and AAU status.

2) This expansion was very different, the expansion was only about the number of tv views you bring i.e. how many eye balls will pay to stream you and your content. He does mention the top 3 (Cinci, UCF, Houston) also did have the best facilities and highest athletic budget spending. He admits we were not in the running based on the criteria of eye balls for a streaming service.

3) He mentions that for us to join the ACC, we would need to be able to bring enough streaming eye balls to atleast add enought revenue so each school would still break even for each schools revenue share.

4) For AAC expansion he only wanted to add one or maybe two schools, but they were worried about maintaining their new TV deal. There was real concern the deal would be renegotiated and fall apart. The new schools were the magic mix that kept our TV contract in place.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:24 pm I re listened to troy dannens recent interview with kelly on fear the wave. Very Candid

The big takeaways:

1) if the big 12 had expanded by 4 teams when they looked at expansion 5 years ago, troy is certain we would have been an added. Not because of athletic prowess but because of New Orleans and AAU status.

2) This expansion was very different, the expansion was only about the number of tv views you bring i.e. how many eye balls will pay to stream you and your content. He does mention the top 3 (Cinci, UCF, Houston) also did have the best facilities and highest athletic budget spending. He admits we were not in the running based on the criteria of eye balls for a streaming service.

3) He mentions that for us to join the ACC, we would need to be able to bring enough streaming eye balls to atleast add enought revenue so each school would still break even for each schools revenue share.

4) For AAC expansion he only wanted to add one or maybe two schools, but they were worried about maintaining their new TV deal. There was real concern the deal would be renegotiated and fall apart. The new schools were the magic mix that kept our TV contract in place.
Thanks for the recap. Unfortunately #2 is how it going to stay if there is any more expansion by the P5- all about eyeballs for TV and streaming and nothing else.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:24 pm I re listened to troy dannens recent interview with kelly on fear the wave. Very Candid

Heck, I'd agree to a 5 yr period with zero revenue share just to get in the "club". Being in the club would solve the eyeballs issue on its own.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Absolutely. That’s actually how the new 6 members (fau, rice, unt, utsa, uab and charlotte) got into the aac. They are only taking $2m while the original aac members keep $7m annually.