Texas and OU to SEC

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:24 pm I still think this thing is eventually headed to one super-conference with 20-25 teams, and everyone else is playing regular college football. If the SEC ends up being the starting point, so be it; but certain current SEC teams are not going to be part of it. Vandy, S. Carolina, Mizzou, maybe the Mississippi schools, Arkansas and Kentucky won't be included.
Completely agree. Schools like those will either get the boot, or might be given the opportunity to take a much smaller piece of the pie. Those schools do serve a "whippin boy" purpose.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:04 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:17 pm ESPN reporting that Clemson and Florida St. have reached out to the SEC, and have requested meetings. But get this, the SEC isn't sure those two wouldn't be dilutive--talk about a high cover charge.

Makes one wonder if the SEC isn't trying to set itself up as the new NCAA. Eventually dividing its super conference into two or more separate conferences--all answering to the SEC.
They should also reach out to the Big 10 if the SEC playing dirty.
FSU Prez says any reports of FSU contacting the SEC are lies
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sport ... 468818001/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Clemson, doin' the PC thing denies contact with the SEC
https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 98f58.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Yep, the classic denials—until they drop the bomb.
wave97
Swell

Wasn't FSU offered an invite to the SEC back in the 90's?
They decided on the ACC because it was a clearer shot for an undefeated season.
BTW: Would love to see a resurgence of South Carolina football. That new staff is shaking things up.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Rumors starting to circulate that KU might just get their Big 10 life preserver. Ole Travis might be on the verge of pulling a rabbit out of the hat. If so, it immediately makes it much more difficult to keep the Little 8 intact. Why wouldn’t the PAC just cherry pick two or three? At some point the orphans are going to have to break ranks and take whatever offer they can get. KU to the Big 10 just might be the catalyst.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:46 pm Rumors starting to circulate that KU might just get their Big 10 life preserver. Ole Travis might be on the verge of pulling a rabbit out of the hat. If so, it immediately makes it much more difficult to keep the Little 8 intact. Why wouldn’t the PAC just cherry pick two or three? At some point the orphans are going to have to break ranks and take whatever offer they can get. KU to the Big 10 just might be the catalyst.
I can see the pac12 taking TCU (DFW TV market) Texas Tech, and Ok State, state schools, big enrollment easy travel for the Zona school's and Colorado,.... Iowa State, state school, easy stravel for Colorado, Wash state, Washington, Oregon...thats four ...leaves K-state, WVU, Baylor
Wave755
Tsunami

Barry Switzer Reveals SEC Prediction for Longhorns and Sooners and "throws some shade” on LSWho? :clap:
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sport ... -top-tier/
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:19 pm Barry Switzer Reveals SEC Prediction for Longhorns and Sooners and "throws some shade” on LSWho? :clap:
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sport ... -top-tier/
Awesome!!! I always knew I liked Barry for something :mrgreen:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Texas legislators pissed big time

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

Of course the SMU economist thinks the solution is to make the Big 12 more of a Texas-based, metropolitan conference. I guess that means to add SMU. If I remember correctly, being Texas-based was the reason Arkansas left the Southwest Conference.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:13 am Of course the SMU economist thinks the solution is to make the Big 12 more of a Texas-based, metropolitan conference. I guess that means to add SMU. If I remember correctly, being Texas-based was the reason Arkansas left the Southwest Conference.
Oklahoma and OK State were charter members of the SWC
anEngineer
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:39 am
anEngineer wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:13 am Of course the SMU economist thinks the solution is to make the Big 12 more of a Texas-based, metropolitan conference. I guess that means to add SMU. If I remember correctly, being Texas-based was the reason Arkansas left the Southwest Conference.
I don't know what happened when the conference started, but when Arkansas got out, it was all Texas teams and Arkansas. The Oklahoma schools were in the Big 8.
Wave755
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:20 am
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:39 am
I don't know what happened when the conference started, but when Arkansas got out, it was all Texas teams and Arkansas. The Oklahoma schools were in the Big 8.
Correct, Oklahoma was only in the SWC from 1915 to 1919, & OSU from 1919 to 1925. From 1991 to 1996 it was Arkansas & all Texans. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Conference
HoustonWave
Tsunami

After summit with PAC 12, Bowlsby says he continues to look for "partnering" opportunities with other conferences--in other words, who can the Scrambling 8 leech onto now, to find a free ride to P5 dollars. It won't happen. Everyone else knows, as I think it was the Iowa St. prez who said (in 2016), "without OU and UT, we are just another MWC".
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:55 am After summit with PAC 12, Bowlsby says he continues to look for "partnering" opportunities with other conferences--in other words, who can the Scrambling 8 leech onto now, to find a free ride to P5 dollars. It won't happen. Everyone else knows, as I think it was the Iowa St. prez who said (in 2016), "without OU and UT, we are just another MWC".
+1, just another MWC. The "HMS Big 12 Titanic" has hit the iceberg, no life boats, and it appears the only ship in sight is the AAC, although Kansas is trying like Hell to swim 🏊‍♂️ to where it thinks the Big 10 is. :D And, I don't think they are going to make it.🛳️
Last edited by Wave755 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:17 am
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:55 am After summit with PAC 12, Bowlsby says he continues to look for "partnering" opportunities with other conferences--in other words, who can the Scrambling 8 leech onto now, to find a free ride to P5 dollars. It won't happen. Everyone else knows, as I think it was the Iowa St. prez who said (in 2016), "without OU and UT, we are just another MWC".
+1, just another MWC. The "HMS Big 12 Titanic" has hit the iceberg, no life boats, and it appears the only ship in sight is the AAC, although Kansas is trying like Hell to paddle or swim to where it thinks the Big 10 is. :D And, I don't think they are going to make it.
Excellent analogy 755. The AAC is the only RMS Carpathia out there--but we only have steerage class accommodations, compared to what the Scrambling 8 are used to. OU and UT took the only two life boats.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:44 am
Wave755 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:17 am
+1, just another MWC. The "HMS Big 12 Titanic" has hit the iceberg, no life boats, and it appears the only ship in sight is the AAC, although Kansas is trying like Hell to paddle or swim to where it thinks the Big 10 is. :D And, I don't think they are going to make it.
Excellent analogy 755. The AAC is the only RMS Carpathia out there--but we only have steerage class accommodations, compared to what the Scrambling 8 are used to. OU and UT took the only two life boats.
HtownWave... I love the post
Aberzombie1892
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:56 pm
anEngineer wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:24 pm I still think this thing is eventually headed to one super-conference with 20-25 teams, and everyone else is playing regular college football. If the SEC ends up being the starting point, so be it; but certain current SEC teams are not going to be part of it. Vandy, S. Carolina, Mizzou, maybe the Mississippi schools, Arkansas and Kentucky won't be included.
Completely agree. Schools like those will either get the boot, or might be given the opportunity to take a much smaller piece of the pie. Those schools do serve a "whippin boy" purpose.

The issue is much of the commentary around conference expansion directly or indirectly focuses on W/L records, when those have no direct impact on the value of program and that causes some confusion. For example - while there is a difference between Alabama and S. Carolina's football teams in terms of value, the latter's football team is among the top 25 most valuable teams and that same can be said about Arkansas. Basically, the SEC is rich not just because it has superpowers on the field - Alabama, LSU, Florida and Georgia - it's because many of its teams that are not such superpowers - Texas A&M, S. Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee, Ole Miss, etc. - are quite valuable to the point where the latter group could literally turn in 6-6 regular season on the field performances in a year in and year out basis and they would still be extraordinarily valuable in the marketplace.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The little 8 TV compensation & A5 status is going to dictate the future. Bowlsby is saying it will be around 20m +\- 5m. ESPN would give a bump to the aac to around 20. The A5 designation could be stripped within a year. The other question is does anyone get that designation if it’s taken from the little 8 ? Or does it just become the A4/P4
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:13 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:56 pm

The issue is much of the commentary around conference expansion directly or indirectly focuses on W/L records, when those have no direct impact on the value of program and that causes some confusion. For example - while there is a difference between Alabama and S. Carolina's football teams in terms of value, the latter's football team is among the top 25 most valuable teams and that same can be said about Arkansas. Basically, the SEC is rich not just because it has superpowers on the field - Alabama, LSU, Florida and Georgia - it's because many of its teams that are not such superpowers - Texas A&M, S. Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee, Ole Miss, etc. - are quite valuable to the point where the latter group could literally turn in 6-6 regular season on the field performances in a year in and year out basis and they would still be extraordinarily valuable in the marketplace.
And the high value of those 6-6 teams is driven by fan support and the university's willingness to invest and support its athletic program. Of course such fan support is boosted when you have those premier teams coming to your place every year--something the Scrambling 8 may eventually find out.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:32 pm The other question is does anyone get that designation if it’s taken from the little 8 ? Or does it just become the A4/P4

Take a wild guess.
God Bless Everyone!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

:lol: True. As long as the CFP expands it isn’t a huge deal. The bowl tie ins would likely improve greatly if we pick off the 3-5 schools from the little 8 as well. Fingers crossed, but it certainly could go the other way and we lose our premiere 2-4 programs.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

If we can't blame ourselves, let's blame someone else
https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/04/u ... spn-big-12