Texas and OU to SEC

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:28 pm
Wave755 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:28 pm Big 12 Conference adrift somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico!!! :D :clap: :lol:

😂😂😂. That about sums it up for the Bowlsby Boys.
And, if Texas wants to, it doesn’t have to play TCU anymore!😂😂😂

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:07 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:28 pm
Wave755 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:28 pm Big 12 Conference adrift somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico!!! :D :clap: :lol:

😂😂😂. That about sums it up for the Bowlsby Boys.
And, if Texas wants to, it doesn’t have to play TCU anymore!😂😂😂
considering TCU has won 7 of the last 10...that may be a good thing for texas
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mista sec...ya sure ya selected the correct 2 schools...seems like Iowa State and WVU have the best players
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... rican-team
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:24 pm mista sec...ya sure ya selected the correct 2 schools...seems like Iowa State and WVU have the best players
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... rican-team
But players got nothing to do with it—it’s all about the money and eye balls that you bring.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Jaxwave
Swell

I think it's funny that Tulane fans make fun of the leftover Big XII schools. It's like the crew of the Titanic making fun of smaller ocean liners. When this whole realignment is over the odds are that Tulane athletics as we know them today will effectively have gone the way of the Titanic and those leftover Big XII schools will have survived in some fashion. This is not going to end well for our beloved school IMHO. I sure hope I am wrong.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:37 pm I think it's funny that Tulane fans make fun of the leftover Big XII schools. It's like the crew of the Titanic making fun of smaller ocean liners. When this whole realignment is over the odds are that Tulane athletics as we know them today will effectively have gone the way of the Titanic and those leftover Big XII schools will have survived in some fashion. This is not going to end well for our beloved school IMHO. I sure hope I am wrong.
That’s a valid concern Jax. A school can’t stay irrelevant for decades and expect to stay afloat, athletically or eventually financially. If our athletic program does dissolve, look for our academic standing to slide significantly as well. And at this critical time, I’m not sure we’re any better off with Fitts and Dannen, than we were with the Cow/Dick regime—hard to believe, but I’m afraid that’s where we are at.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The little 8 had a golden ticket and were coasting on others yet were some of the most pretentious fans & administrations. I think this reckoning is just a fun readjustment of their place in the world and it’s entertaining to watch. Of course Vandy still has the same golden ticket that we did/gave up.

We’ll see what happens to us after realignment maybe better off, maybe worse.
Wave755
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:47 am The little 8 had a golden ticket and were coasting on others yet were some of the most pretentious fans & administrations. I think this reckoning is just a fun readjustment of their place in the world and it’s entertaining to watch. Of course Vandy still has the same golden ticket that we did/gave up.

If the AAC adds TCU & Baylor, that would be a plus. I just don't think those "West Coast Commies" in the Pac 12 will want anything to do with 2 "Texas church school private universities"; Baylor much more of a "church school" than TCU, and TCU only has about 11,000 students.

And, Dave Wannstedt is right, the Big 12 is about to become the "Big O." https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/ ... -12-teams/
ajcalhoun
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:47 am The little 8 had a golden ticket and were coasting on others yet were some of the most pretentious fans & administrations. I think this reckoning is just a fun readjustment of their place in the world and it’s entertaining to watch.
I read somewhere that the little 8 really wanted to add schools during that last cattle-call to help shore things up in case of a Texas departure but Texas nixed that idea and assured them that it wasn't necessary.
God Bless Everyone!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:47 am The little 8 had a golden ticket and were coasting on others yet were some of the most pretentious fans & administrations. I think this reckoning is just a fun readjustment of their place in the world and it’s entertaining to watch. Of course Vandy still has the same golden ticket that we did/gave up.

All true Bicoastal. And Tulane is like a piece of balsa wood floating in the stormy ocean of realignment, without a rudder or engine. We might get lucky or we may not, but at this point we have little control over our own fate.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:54 am I read somewhere that the little 8 really wanted to add schools during that last cattle-call to help shore things up in case of a Texas departure but Texas nixed that idea and assured them that it wasn't necessary.
Good thing for us, because we weren't on the short list any time recently. And we're not today, either. Our best bet is to hope the AAC survives, adds some of the "little 8" and becomes a "P". If there's a complete re-shuffling, I think we're on the outside looking in more than we are today.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:54 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:47 am The little 8 had a golden ticket and were coasting on others yet were some of the most pretentious fans & administrations. I think this reckoning is just a fun readjustment of their place in the world and it’s entertaining to watch.
I read somewhere that the little 8 really wanted to add schools during that last cattle-call to help shore things up in case of a Texas departure but Texas nixed that idea and assured them that it wasn't necessary.
I heard something different—that Iowa St, Kansas St and TCU were particularly against expansion and diluting each school’s share of the pie. Both OU and UT seemed willing to expand, but they each had a different slate of preferred expansion schools (I think we were on the OU Prez Boren list), and they could never reconcile their differences—hence nothing happened. No doubt whatever OU and UT wanted was bound to carry the day. But who really knows other than the Big 12 insiders.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

USC to play LSU in Vegas in 2024. These games will continue to get made. No one is cutting off scheduling the SEC.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:06 pm USC to play LSU in Vegas in 2024. These games will continue to get made. No one is cutting off scheduling the SEC.
when was this contract signed...
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Reported locally by all outlets yesterday.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:24 am Reported locally by all outlets yesterday.
According to reports, this game was in the planning stages before the pandemic, and was being negotiated for 3-4 months. It was finalized late last week,
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt they didn't do the deal all in one day. The alliance clearly isn't preventing them from scheduling an SEC team.
ajcalhoun
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:46 pm No doubt they didn't do the deal all in one day. The alliance clearly isn't preventing them from scheduling an SEC team.
A guy on Surly described it with brutal frankness.

"This is the proper, blue blood method of telling your conference commish to review their job description and to go get their shine box."
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:53 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:46 pm No doubt they didn't do the deal all in one day. The alliance clearly isn't preventing them from scheduling an SEC team.
A guy on Surly described it with brutal frankness.

"This is the proper, blue blood method of telling your conference commish to review their job description and to go get their shine box."
The commish never said don't schedule SEC teams. So no this isn't about putting him in his place.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

lsu...usc, in the alphabet bowl... this game was on the drawing board for almost two years, well before any "alliance"
winwave
Top of the WAVE

But consummated after the alliance.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:28 am But consummated after the alliance.
Announced a day after the alliance was announced. A little different than "consumated" as we all agree this was being planned months, if not years before the alliance was announced.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

It's quickly becoming apparent that the Alliance primarily just exists in the heads of the PAC, Big and ACC commissioners. No contract, no nothing. They want to increase scheduling between their conferences, but even that has no real teeth. The Alliance's lofty aspirations will probably be forgotten by all member schools before this season is over--and we'll be left with one King Kong, the SEC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:59 am
winwave wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:28 am But consummated after the alliance.
Announced a day after the alliance was announced. A little different than "consumated" as we all agree this was being planned months, if not years before the alliance was announced.
Wasn't signed off on so if the new alliance, as alleged here, prohibits playing the SEC they could have walked away. The whole idea is to get more big games for TV inventory. so they are not going to refuse to play SEC teams.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mods move to another already established topic, if there is one, I'm sure this will impact realigment in some form, most thought 2023 would be the last for OU and UT in the Big12, but not so fast my firends

In a separate interview with ESPN, Sankey said the SEC is focused on its growth to 16 members, which includes the arrival of Big 12 co-founders Oklahoma and Texas in 2025, but he remains "keenly aware of conversations" around him regarding conference realignment.

"I tried to take a responsible approach knowing that we created disruption in the summer of '21," he said. "So we're focused on the move of Oklahoma and Texas into the SEC in '25. It's clear to me the issues around conference-membership movement haven't just settled. I'm going to be fully attentive and engaged knowing what's going on around me. That doesn't predict that we're going to go beyond 16, but I'm also keenly aware of conversations."

Sankey reiterated that the timing of the eventual arrival of Oklahoma and Texas into the SEC remains between those schools and the Big 12.

"That's really for them to speak of," Sankey said. "This is about contractual relationships between the Big 12 conference and Big 12 members, period. We would have to go back through an adjustment to our invitation. That's us, but that is likely much less complex than the issue the Big 12 has to deal with. I just