Texas and OU to SEC

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Gotcha Golf

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

From the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/4153364/2023/02 ... ed_article
SEC expansion speed bump
The efforts from Texas and Oklahoma to leave the Big 12 and join the SEC ahead of schedule have stalled and reached a “breaking point,” Matt Fortuna reports. The schools are contractually slated to join the SEC in 2025-26 but have been attempting to move that start date up one year.

The stalemate comes after weeks of negotiations between the schools, TV partners (ESPN and Fox) and the Big 12. It appears the Big 12 could be heading for an awkward two years with 14 teams.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

early exit fee..a paltry 100 million
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... -24-season
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Big12 looking to expand once UT and OU head east

https://www.si.com/college/byu/.amp/foo ... -expansion
Ruski
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:30 pm Big12 looking to expand once UT and OU head east

https://www.si.com/college/byu/.amp/foo ... -expansion
Their TV contract says that adding G5 teams wont increase payments. They are only looking to pick off some PAC schools.
Ruski
Swell

Oddly the MWC might be the big winner out of this round of re-alignment. AAC really screwed the pooch by not securing Air Force and Colorado State.

Instead of grabbing UNT and Charlotte. Could've ended up with a western flank of CSU, Air Force, UTSA, Rice, Tulsa. That might've been good enough to convince the leftover PAC schools like Washington State and Oregon State to join AAC instead of MWC at the end of all this.
RobertM320
Green Wave

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Funny how that article points out that Oregon is CURRENTLY one of the top dogs in the PAC 12, along with USC. Yet some posters here claim that Stanford, Cal and UW will be the top dogs when USC and UCLA leave. Oregon is by a wide margin the remaining prize jewel of the PAC 12.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenie78
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:42 pm
Funny how that article points out that Oregon is CURRENTLY one of the top dogs in the PAC 12, along with USC. Yet some posters here claim that Stanford, Cal and UW will be the top dogs when USC and UCLA leave. Oregon is by a wide margin the remaining prize jewel of the PAC 12.
I would say UW is up there with Oregon as the top dog. They don't have Oregon's money, but they have championship tradition and pedigree. They won't be left behind if Oregon leaves. But Oregon isn't a blue blood program to lead a new conference like USC, OU, and Texas. They're a good program, but not a blue blood. UW is closer to being a blue blood than Oregon.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

That "long term " ACC media deal does not look so good now, and the people at Florida State are upset...
//www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/i ... nue-change
anEngineer
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:21 am That "long term " ACC media deal does not look so good now, and the people at Florida State are upset...
I can't believe anyone would sign such a long term deal. With the dynamics of realignment, 2036 is an eternity. Hopefully, the whole contract blows up and it provides us a path to get in.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:46 am
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:21 am That "long term " ACC media deal does not look so good now, and the people at Florida State are upset...
I can't believe anyone would sign such a long term deal. With the dynamics of realignment, 2036 is an eternity. Hopefully, the whole contract blows up and it provides us a path to get in.
yep, hard to believe with those intelligent (?) "aau" prez's running things in the acc.....
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:55 pm
yep, hard to believe with those intelligent (?) "aau" prez's running things in the acc.....
Greed is good. When $30 million a school isn’t enough.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:03 pm

per Gordon Gekko in Wall Street..."The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good".
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:00 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:03 pm
per Gordon Gekko in Wall Street..."The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good".
Yep
Tulane Class of 1981
Tulane1111
High Tide

FSU & Clemson want additional $30m + per yr……. As a result the ACC is forming the ACC 8, 🤪, who want non equal revenue share….. should be interesting to watch how this one goes..

Seems the Big East/old metro/AAC may come back again…
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane1111 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:46 pm FSU & Clemson want additional $30m + per yr……. As a result the ACC is forming the ACC 8, 🤪, who want non equal revenue share….. should be interesting to watch how this one goes..

The old Metro was the best conference we had since the SEC. Too bad it wasn’t a FB conference.
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:59 pm
Tulane1111 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:46 pm FSU & Clemson want additional $30m + per yr……. As a result the ACC is forming the ACC 8, 🤪, who want non equal revenue share….. should be interesting to watch how this one goes..

The old Metro was the best conference we had since the SEC. Too bad it wasn’t a FB conference.
Would have been a fun football conference with Cincy, FSU, South Carolina, Louisville, Memphis, Southern Miss, Va Tech

The early days of C-USA was a great basketball conference too.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Looks like ACC is waking up and smelling the coffee, and will be the first to recognize the inevitability of unequal revenue sharing on a permanent basis. Eventually all the conferences will morph to more of a “ you eat what you kill” formula— which will be good for Tulane getting out of the CUSAAC prison. Major conferences will be able to accept the Tulanes of the world without worrying about dilution. The big losers will be the P4 Parasites, as their free ride will be ending.
The Big 12 might still have OU and UT, and the PAC might still have UCLA and USC if those conferences had gone to unequal revenue sharing.
And the irony is that FSU is the one bellyaching. Many comment about Tulane’s stupidity in leaving the SEC, but what about FSU’s more recent decision to turndown an SEC invite?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
anEngineer
Riptide

This goes back to Troy Dannen talking about the new way that media value is calculated. Each school has an intrinsic value based on viewership and marketability. Each conference contract is based on that total value for each of its members. If members want to share equally, that's their business, but they shouldn't have to. When you lose a school, the conference loses that part of the value. Dannen strongly implied that our new conference teams would get their value, not an equal share.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It makes sense for a school in a sinking ship of a conference to take a lesser share that is triple what they were getting in their former conference in order to save themselves. As to the ACC their members are locked in till 2036. Doesn't make sense to give in now and take a lesser share .Best for them to tell FSU and others that you signed on the bottom line so STFU and play ball.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:12 am It makes sense for a school in a sinking ship of a conference to take a lesser share that is triple what they were getting in their former conference in order to save themselves. As to the ACC their members are locked in till 2036. Doesn't make sense to give in now and take a lesser share .Best for them to tell FSU and others that you signed on the bottom line so STFU and play ball.
a BIG AZZZ plus one from me...U signed, U wanted "long term" stability....now go out between the lines and earn it...and while you are at it STFU