Kai Horton

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:27 pm
Bigschtick wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:05 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:03 am Horton signed and Courtney is coming as a PWO.
What is a PWO?????
Preferred Walk On
besides an assigned parking space, what are the benefits of being a PWO ?

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:08 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:27 pm
Bigschtick wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:05 pm

What is a PWO?????
Preferred Walk On
besides an assigned parking space, what are the benefits of being a PWO ?
Guaranteed a spot on the roster and a chance to play your way into a scholarship.
gbgreenie
Surge

winwave wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:03 am Horton signed and Courtney is coming as a PWO.
Scholarship or not I am sure they arrange financial aid to PWO. Especially if he is a good student he won't pay full tuition.
Preferred Walk On (PWO): A recruited player that is enrolling at the college and is guaranteed a roster spot but does not have a scholarship offer. Coaches may invite them to join the team to help on the practice squad or special teams in football. Often a PWO is verbally given a contingent scholarship offer.
gbgreenie
Surge

Watch these Highlights of Horton's tight end at Carthage, this boy can block extremely well driving defenders back and catch for a tight end. Offered by Arkansas Central, Coach Fritz nice tight end prospect from a winning program.
https://247sports.com/Video/Montrell-Sm ... s-9666422/
HoustonWave
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:40 pm Watch these Highlights of Horton's tight end at Carthage, this boy can block extremely well driving defenders back and catch for a tight end. Offered by Arkansas Central, Coach Fritz nice tight end prospect from a winning program.
https://247sports.com/Video/Montrell-Sm ... s-9666422/
I'd love to have their whole OL.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
gbgreenie
Surge

Comparison of Michael Pratt vs Kai Horton High School Statistics. Setting up for strong Competition at the Quarterback Position:

Michael Pratt has played on 3 football teams covered by MaxPreps. The accumulated varsity totals are in the last row of each table.
Total Passing Yards: 2588
Passing TDs: 28
Passing Yards/Game: 136.2
Pass Completions: 166
Pass Attempts: 280
Interceptions: 12

Kai has played on 2 football teams covered by MaxPreps. The accumulated varsity totals are in the last row of each table.
Total Passing Yards: 6665
Passing TDs: 83
Passing Yards/Game: 221.9
Pass Completions: 423
Pass Attempts: 670
Interceptions: 8

Go to Link and vote for the Top Texas High school Quarterback this year. Kai Horton is currently 3rd Place, LSU signee Garrett Nussmeier is in 9th Place beating the Tigers, yaaaaaa
https://texashsfootball.com/vote-for-th ... -football/
HoustonWave
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:51 am Comparison of Michael Pratt vs Kai Horton High School Statistics. Setting up for strong Competition at the Quarterback Position:

Michael Pratt has played on 3 football teams covered by MaxPreps. The accumulated varsity totals are in the last row of each table.

Kai has played on 2 football teams covered by MaxPreps. The accumulated varsity totals are in the last row of each table.

Go to Link and vote for the Top Texas High school Quarterback this year. Kai Horton is currently 3rd Place, LSU signee Garrett Nussmeier is in 9th Place beating the Tigers, yaaaaaa
=1,000. Pratt's INT % almost 4 times greater than Horton's. And we saw why in the SMU game, Tulsa game, and Nevada game. Apparently a long standing issue.
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:15 am
gbgreenie wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:51 am Comparison of Michael Pratt vs Kai Horton High School Statistics. Setting up for strong Competition at the Quarterback Position:

=1,000. Pratt's INT % almost 4 times greater than Horton's. And we saw why in the SMU game, Tulsa game, and Nevada game. Apparently a long standing issue.
'Ya know I watched freshman QB Dr. Roch Hontas @ the Dome in 1976 throw more than his share of pick 6s but he did turn out "OK" after all? :D
Dave breslin
Swell

Without an O line, it won’t matter who’s at QB. Prat’s proved he is effective if the guys in front do their jobs and receivers CATCH the 🏈
Wave755
Tsunami

Dave breslin wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:10 am Without an O line, it won’t matter who’s at QB. Prat’s proved he is effective if the guys in front do their jobs and receivers CATCH the 🏈
+1, this "blame Pratt stuff" is obscene and from the same group who had him after the Memphis game entering the transfer portal to seek a "better & P5 program." We have a lot of "wing-nuts" on this forum. :roll:
gbgreenie
Surge

Wave755 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:04 am

'Ya know I watched freshman QB Dr. Roch Hontas @ the Dome in 1976 throw more than his share of pick 6s but he did turn out "OK" after all? :D
Touchdown to Interception Ratio is always a key stat for Quarterbacks. Great Quarterbacks very seldom throw interceptions. Shawn King was the perfect example going over 200 plus passes without a interception. Interceptions puts the defense in bad situations.
Wave755
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:20 am

Touchdown to Interception Ratio is always a key stat for Quarterbacks. Great Quarterbacks very seldom throw interceptions. Shawn King was the perfect example going over 200 plus passes without a interception. Interceptions puts the defense in bad situations.
🤔Then maybe we should have gotten rid of that “Hontas guy” after his freshman year?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:57 pm
🤔Then maybe we should have gotten rid of that “Hontas guy” after his freshman year?
I remember one of Kings INT's .vs Syracuse 1997 in the carrier dome, very late in the game Tulane was driving for the winning TD on what became the last oplay of the game...sum slow azz guy took up 20 seconds returning the int 99 yards for a TD
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1997/09/20 ... 874728000/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:32 pm
I remember one of Kings INT's .vs Syracuse 1997 in the carrier dome, very late in the game Tulane was driving for the winning TD on what became the last oplay of the game...sum slow azz guy took up 20 seconds returning the int 99 yards for a TD
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1997/09/20 ... 874728000/
For his first 2 years under Buddy Teevens, Shaun King looked like a "big nothing." I knew Buddy Teevens' CPA at the time and he told me, "Buddy wasn't sure King was the man for the job." :lol:
51WaveBG
High Tide

I was called "moronic" in another thread for saying that I thought that the QB position for next year will be carefully looked at and will be "up for grabs". With Horton in the mix and (if he comes in for the spring practice), it will be interesting to watch, with Ibieta still in the mix. Pratt's decision making does make you wonder. The OC will have a real hard decision to make about the starting QB.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

51WaveBG wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:23 pm I was called "moronic" in another thread for saying that I thought that the QB position for next year will be carefully looked at and will be "up for grabs". With Horton in the mix and (if he comes in for the spring practice), it will be interesting to watch, with Ibieta still in the mix. Pratt's decision making does make you wonder. The OC will have a real hard decision to make about the starting QB.
Horton hasn't taken a snap above 4A in HS, in a state where they have 5A and 6A. Let's not make him the next great true frosh wonder that some thought Pratt was. Keep in mind, we beat out McNeese State and Stephen F. Austin to get him. I'm all for an open competition and intrigued to see Ibieta as well. I remember Hall saying Ibieta was the most talented QB he's coached.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

D- you got the cite for that? I don't remember him saying that and if he did then why didn't he put him in the USM game instead of Pratt?
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:13 pm D- you got the cite for that? I don't remember him saying that and if he did then why didn't he put him in the USM game instead of Pratt?
He said that around the end of fall camp, and followed it by saying Pratt was way ahead of him knowing the playbook. I don't recall exactly when but I had the same reaction at the time because Pratt was ahead of him on the depth chart.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
gbgreenie
Surge

Well everyone that knows me know I live by facts and will check, Roch Hontas actually throw more interceptions than touchdown passes. He had to have a good supporting cast to win throwing that many interceptions. Most coaches would bench a Quarterback that had more interceptions than td. 39 Touchdown Passes and 41 Interceptions
gbgreenie
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:53 pm
51WaveBG wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:23 pm I was called "moronic" in another thread for saying that I thought that the QB position for next year will be carefully looked at and will be "up for grabs". With Horton in the mix and (if he comes in for the spring practice), it will be interesting to watch, with Ibieta still in the mix. Pratt's decision making does make you wonder. The OC will have a real hard decision to make about the starting QB.
Horton hasn't taken a snap above 4A in HS, in a state where they have 5A and 6A. Let's not make him the next great true frosh wonder that some thought Pratt was. Keep in mind, we beat out McNeese State and Stephen F. Austin to get him. I'm all for an open competition and intrigued to see Ibieta as well. I remember Hall saying Ibieta was the most talented QB he's coached.
I am tired of all this downplaying of Horton when sports writers in Texas listed him as the number 3 QB in the state of Texas. LSU signee is listed at number 9 and is a 6 A QB. Both Rivals and 247 list Horton as the top Sleeper QB in the state of Texas. Many say his team is in the top tier in Texas.
Rivals: THE OVERLOOKED: Kai Horton
KAI
HORTON
SIGNED LOI Tulane 12/18/2020
6'4" | 215 LBS | PRO QB | 2021
CARTHAGE
CARTHAGE, TX
Horton was the subject of our overlooked quarterbacks back in the spring and that theme has continued into the fall, where yet against the senior passer is putting up impressive numbers on one of Texas' best high school teams.
Through four games so far, Horton has thrown for 996 yards with 10 touchdowns compared to one interception. He's completed 72 percent of his attempts with 98 yards rushing, all while leading East Texas powerhouse Carthage to a perfect 4-0 mark. Most of Horton's action have come in the first halves of games after jumping out to fast starts on offense.
247 Sports: Kai Horton 247 Sports: Michael Pratt
Composite 247 SPORTS COMPOSITE®
86 0.841.
PRO; 27 47 ;
TX 127 FL 178
gbgreenie
Surge

Ten potential offers for Kansas in the 2021 class
KAI HORTON, QUARTERBACK
Kai Horton
2021 QB Kai Horton (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
It's my opinion that one of the most under-recruited players in the state of Texas is Carthage High School three-star quarterback Kai Horton, a 6-foot-4, 215-pound prospect with a stellar 2019 season under his belt. In his first season as a starter, Horton led Carthage to a 16-0 record and the Texas Class 4A Division I state championship, Carthage's seven state title in the past 13 seasons. Horton racked up huge numbers as he threw for 3,741 yards, 49 touchdowns, and only six interceptions. Shockingly, SFA is his only Division I offer to date, though he has gotten interest from schools such as Houston, Louisiana Tech, and North Texas, among others. Horton, who also plays basketball for Carthage, is a strong three-star on the 247Sports rankings, which put him 20th nationally among 2021 pro-style quarterbacks.
Horton was gaining looks from Kansas and Houston
gbgreenie
Surge

Colorado QB Recruiting Targets for 2021
Buffs 2021 Quarterback Recruiting Big Board
Kai Horton

Horton is a big 6-foot-4, 215-pound quarterback out of Carthage (Texas). He burst onto the scene during his junior season and first year as the starter. He threw for over 3,700 yards and 49 touchdowns with six interceptions while leading his team to a 16-0 state championship in Texas 4A-DI. His only offer is from Stephen F. Austin. He is a very balanced thrower on tape, he's calm in the pocket and is great at throwing in rhythm and on time. He has a knack for throwing balls with the right amount of touch.
Another Team looking at Kai Horton
gbgreenie
Surge

To all the Naysayers ohhh Kai Horton only played in 4A, OK what classification is Arch Manning, what classification was Justin Ibieta. Horton will make you guys look bad in the next 3 years. 247 Sports has him rated higher than either Pratt or Ibieta. Horton is rated higher than any Quarterback recruited by the Wave in the last 15 years, by 247 Sports. Because of Covid he was under radar, but Houston showed interest in him as a junior, Colorado and Kansas both had him on their list for 2021. Covid has limited exposure for many recruits. But both Rivals and 247 list Horton as the biggest sleeper QB in Texas. Will enjoy watching him over the next few years his running back is also under radar and will surprise remember Mason Courtney next Reginelli!!!
gbgreenie
Surge

More facts to non believers of Kai Horton 247 Sports Rating of 2021 Pro Style Quarterbacks, remember Ty Keyes National Ranking #23 with 87 Rating by 247. Kai Horton National Ranking of 27 with 86 Rating by 247. According to 247 Sports Ty Keyes and Kai Horton are almost even in ratings. He will give Pratt competition next year!!! Case Closed, facts!!!
https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Footb ... sition=PRO

https://247sports.com/Video/Kai-Horton- ... s-9673408/

Remember Pratt was ranked as #47 Pro Style QB by 247 Sports with a Rating of 84. Both Keyes and Horton are ranked higher than Pratt by 247 Sports.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

And as far as the 4A classification, don't worry about it. Carthage has been a powerhouse for years, and could readily defeat many 5A and 6A schools. Just looking at their talent level and size tells you why. They obviously have also had some very good coaching for a long time. It should be a strong competition at QB next year, but with Willie's Tenure System, who knows. One things for sure, Chip Long will want to play the better QB. It was his disagreements with Chip Kelly, including a disagreement as to who should be the starting QB, that led to his leaving Notre Dame. Long wanted to start Ian Book earlier, Book is now the starting QB at ND, and having a helluva year. I suspect Long won't be bashful about starting whoever he sees as the best QB.