Kai Horton

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:40 am And as far as the 4A classification, don't worry about it. Carthage has been a powerhouse for years, and could readily defeat many 5A and 6A schools. Just looking at their talent level and size tells you why. They obviously have also had some very good coaching for a long time. It should be a strong competition at QB next year, but with Willie's Tenure System, who knows. One things for sure, Chip Long will want to play the better QB. It was his disagreements with Chip Kelly, including a disagreement as to who should be the starting QB, that led to his leaving Notre Dame. Long wanted to start Ian Book earlier, Book is now the starting QB at ND, and having a helluva year. I suspect Long won't be bashful about starting whoever he sees as the best QB.
U go it...if his last name was Manning and playing for Carthage, the Media would have had their travel trailers parked outside his house following his every step, hangin' on his every word, and scooping the dirt he walked on into jars to sell
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:40 am And as far as the 4A classification, don't worry about it. Carthage has been a powerhouse for years, and could readily defeat many 5A and 6A schools. Just looking at their talent level and size tells you why. They obviously have also had some very good coaching for a long time. It should be a strong competition at QB next year, but with Willie's Tenure System, who knows. One things for sure, Chip Long will want to play the better QB. It was his disagreements with Chip Kelly, including a disagreement as to who should be the starting QB, that led to his leaving Notre Dame. Long wanted to start Ian Book earlier, Book is now the starting QB at ND, and having a helluva year. I suspect Long won't be bashful about starting whoever he sees as the best QB.
It's Brian Kelly. and there was a whole lot more to it than that.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:10 pm Many say his team is in the top tier in Texas.
This isn't a subjective topic. He played in 4A. That doesn't mean he isn't talented, and I don't disagree with the stats you've posted about 1/2 dozen times across a few threads. But he hasn't thrown a collegiate pass, and was nowhere nearly as highly regarded as Keyes was. And remind me, which other FBS programs offered?

I hope he comes here, steals the job by outplaying Pratt and becomes the next Jameis Winston, leading the Wave to a NY6 bowl before turning pro in three years. But let's keep expectations and accomplishments real. He won something like 30 straight games in Texas. That's saying something at any level.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I just looked up the sports classifications in the State of Mississippi, Carthage with an enrollment of over 1200 would have been 6A in Mississippi, if I read the chart correctly
RobertM320
Green Wave

gbgreenie wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:44 pm
Wave755 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:57 pm
gbgreenie wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:20 am
Touchdown to Interception Ratio is always a key stat for Quarterbacks. Great Quarterbacks very seldom throw interceptions. Shawn King was the perfect example going over 200 plus passes without a interception. Interceptions puts the defense in bad situations.
🤔Then maybe we should have gotten rid of that “Hontas guy” after his freshman year?
Well everyone that knows me know I live by facts and will check, Roch Hontas actually throw more interceptions than touchdown passes. He had to have a good supporting cast to win throwing that many interceptions. Most coaches would bench a Quarterback that had more interceptions than td. 39 Touchdown Passes and 41 Interceptions
Except he DIDN'T win, at least not in his first three years. We were 2-9, 3-8 and 4-7. It wasn't until his senior year, 1979, that we went 9-3.

His TD/INT Splits?

1976 - 2/9
1977 - 5/8
1978 - 11/10
1979 - 21/14
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Dave breslin
Swell

It’s good to be able to compare quality recruits. Just need to coach them up and WIN
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:17 am I just looked up the sports classifications in the State of Mississippi, Carthage with an enrollment of over 1200 would have been 6A in Mississippi, if I read the chart correctly
I remember a coach once saying that there were more high school football teams in Texas, than high school football players in Louisiana. I don't know if that is still the case or not. But considering that Louisiana has about double the population of Mississippi, I suspect there are a lot more high school teams in Texas than there are high school players in Mississippi. I just hope Horton can bring more of his teammates our way.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
MicMan
Swell

I am sure Dr. Hontas has trouble sleeping at night thinking about his TD/INT ratio.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:18 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:17 am I just looked up the sports classifications in the State of Mississippi, Carthage with an enrollment of over 1200 would have been 6A in Mississippi, if I read the chart correctly
I remember a coach once saying that there were more high school football teams in Texas, than high school football players in Louisiana. I don't know if that is still the case or not. But considering that Louisiana has about double the population of Mississippi, I suspect there are a lot more high school teams in Texas than there are high school players in Mississippi. I just hope Horton can bring more of his teammates our way.
Metro Houston has a population equal to the State of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:54 pm
Wave755 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:57 pm
🤔Then maybe we should have gotten rid of that “Hontas guy” after his freshman year?
Well everyone that knows me know I live by facts and will check, Roch Hontas actually throw more interceptions than touchdown passes. He had to have a good supporting cast to win throwing that many interceptions. Most coaches would bench a Quarterback that had more interceptions than td. 39 Touchdown Passes and 41 Interceptions
Except he DIDN'T win, at least not in his first three years. We were 2-9, 3-8 and 4-7. It wasn't until his senior year, 1979, that we went 9-3.

His TD/INT Splits?

1976 - 2/9
1977 - 5/8
1978 - 11/10
1979 - 21/14
Yep, it wasn't until Lindy Infante came back to us for the 1979 season that Dr. Roch Hontas started to look like Joe Namath. Infante was our OC for the 1976 season, then left to become NY Giants wide receiver coach for 1977-78, and then came back to us as OC for the 1979 season. Thinking Larry Smith would stay, Infante then left after the Liberty Bowl to become quarterbacks coach for the Cincinnati Bengals for the 1980 season. When Smith took the Arizona job in the spring of 1980, Infante then wanted to come back to become HC but Hindman Wall never forgave him for leaving again after the 1979 season and hired Vince Gibson instead.🤷‍♂️
nawlinspete
Riptide

Let's hope you are right , HWave ; and let's hope there is an outstanding starter among them .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:06 pm

His TD/INT Splits?

1976 - 2/9
1977 - 5/8
1978 - 11/10
1979 - 21/14
Yep, it wasn't until Lindy Infante came back to us for the 1979 season that Dr. Roch Hontas started to look like Joe Namath. Infante was our OC for the 1976 season, then left to become NY Giants wide receiver coach for 1977-78, and then came back to us as OC for the 1979 season. Thinking Larry Smith would stay, Infante then left after the Liberty Bowl to become quarterbacks coach for the Cincinnati Bengals for the 1980 season. When Smith took the Arizona job in the spring of 1980, Infante then wanted to come back to become HC but Hindman Wall never forgave him for leaving again after the 1979 season and hired Vince Gibson instead.🤷‍♂️
Another factor was that Vegas Vince and Hindman Wall had been friends for many years, before Wall hired him for Tulane. Wall was just one more in a long litany of Tulane athletic misfits.
Dave breslin
Swell

Watching Kai on ESPN. Impressive player and another “blonde” QB. Maybe we’ll be known for our surfer looking qb’s. Bottom line-good looking qb-but get a monster quick O line to protect them. God can’t win a game without a good line!!!🏈
Wave Fan
Low Tide

Back when Honda’s played the forward pass was more of an adventure than it is today. Wasn’t it coach Bryant that said when you throw a pass three things can happen and two are bad.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave Fan wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:49 pm Back when Honda’s played the forward pass was more of an adventure than it is today. Wasn’t it coach Bryant that said when you throw a pass three things can happen and two are bad.
I think that quote is attribute to D Royal @ Texas when running the 'bone
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:21 pm
Wave755 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:06 pm

His TD/INT Splits?

1976 - 2/9
1977 - 5/8
1978 - 11/10
1979 - 21/14
Another factor was that Vegas Vince and Hindman Wall had been friends for many years, before Wall hired him for Tulane. Wall was just one more in a long litany of Tulane athletic misfits.
Yep, and I remember how Wall often “pined” to be instead at a southern state university rather than Tulane. And then, Wall would fire his old friend Vegas Vince Gibson after one of the most talented teams in Tulane’s history went only 4-7 for the 1982 season. A Tulane team that ended its season a 25.5 pt. underdog to the Tigggers by beating Orange Bowl bound LSWho 31 to 28 @ Baton Rouge, and in many ways further sealing Gibson’s fate. After firing Gibson following the 1982 season, Wall then did offer the job to Infante who was by that time OC for the Bengals but Infante promptly said no, so we ended up with Wally English.🤦🏻‍♂️Only at Tulane. And In regard to not hiring Infante in 1980, the university football axiom was reaffirmed, “Tulane never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.” 🙃
gbgreenie
Surge

Dave breslin wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:41 pm Watching Kai on ESPN. Impressive player and another “blonde” QB. Maybe we’ll be known for our surfer looking qb’s. Bottom line-good looking qb-but get a monster quick O line to protect them. God can’t win a game without a good line!!!🏈
The important thing to know about Kai Horton,is not just his arm, accuracy, and mobility it is that they say he is like a coach on the field. His coach said he studies film over and over. To be a great quarterback he not only has the tools but he is a study of the game, remember Drew Brees was a disciple of Texas High School Football!!! Lets hope a pray Horton is a diamond in the rough. Watching Texas 1A football they only play with 6 players on the field, lolllllll
gbgreenie
Surge

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:48 pm
Dave breslin wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:41 pm Watching Kai on ESPN. Impressive player and another “blonde” QB. Maybe we’ll be known for our surfer looking qb’s. Bottom line-good looking qb-but get a monster quick O line to protect them. God can’t win a game without a good line!!!🏈
The important thing to know about Kai Horton,is not just his arm, accuracy, and mobility it is that they say he is like a coach on the field. His coach said he studies film over and over. To be a great quarterback he not only has the tools but he is a study of the game, remember Drew Brees was a disciple of Texas High School Football!!! Lets hope a pray Horton is a diamond in the rough. Watching Texas 1A football they only play with 6 players on the field, lolllllll
Brees was unranked by 247 for Westlake: https://247sports.com/college/purdue/Se ... l/Commits/
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:52 pm Brees was unranked by 247 for Westlake: https://247sports.com/college/purdue/Se ... l/Commits/
I'd be interested to see if that's a factor of them not having data in their current db for 1997? Or if it's complete data. I really don't know the answer. I don't know how long 247 has been around and don't know whether Brees was highly recruited or not.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:09 pm
gbgreenie wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:52 pm Brees was unranked by 247 for Westlake: https://247sports.com/college/purdue/Se ... l/Commits/
I'd be interested to see if that's a factor of them not having data in their current db for 1997? Or if it's complete data. I really don't know the answer. I don't know how long 247 has been around and don't know whether Brees was highly recruited or not.
Brees was offered only by Purdue and Kentucky.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

That’s why I’d like to see Horton and Courtney bring some of the Carthage OLs with them—that OL was big and very good. Horton may or may not be a surfer blond, but the whole Carthage team dyed their hair blond for the playoffs. Unity in a bottle, I guess.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Somebody check on GBG.

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
wave97
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:32 pm
That’s why I’d like to see Horton and Courtney bring some of the Carthage OLs with them—that OL was big and very good. Horton may or may not be a surfer blond, but the whole Carthage team dyed their hair blond for the playoffs. Unity in a bottle, I guess.
I can think of a few bottles worse to unify around.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981