Deion Sanders

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

new Jackson State HC...from a high school OC, to da man
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/spo ... 863325002/

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

I am acquiring a renewed respect for Deion. Here's his take on small FCS schools playing P5s for a payday:
“I know I'm not going to win, I'm going to lose three or four players to injury and you're going to humiliate my team and I'm going to have to build them back up the next week to play again. That doesn't make any sense to me."

“The goal is to dominate where you are, not win, but to dominate where you are,” Sanders said. “Then, you look towards down the line to scheduling some of those games. Right now, those games are a financial beatdown. That's what I call them. That's what some HBCUs choose to do. I'm going to go to these various schools, get my butt kicked, but I'm walking out of there with $750,000 or a million dollars. That's not worth it to me. To me, that's the ultimate sell out to children.
Is there a lesson for Tulane here? Did it make sense to schedule Oklahoma and Ole Miss in the first three games of the season? My guess is that he is saying what Willie Fritz was thinking when he first saw this year's schedule.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:32 am I am acquiring a renewed respect for Deion. Here's his take on small FCS schools playing P5s for a payday:
“I know I'm not going to win, I'm going to lose three or four players to injury and you're going to humiliate my team and I'm going to have to build them back up the next week to play again. That doesn't make any sense to me."

“The goal is to dominate where you are, not win, but to dominate where you are,” Sanders said. “Then, you look towards down the line to scheduling some of those games. Right now, those games are a financial beatdown. That's what I call them. That's what some HBCUs choose to do. I'm going to go to these various schools, get my butt kicked, but I'm walking out of there with $750,000 or a million dollars. That's not worth it to me. To me, that's the ultimate sell out to children.
Is there a lesson for Tulane here? Did it make sense to schedule Oklahoma and Ole Miss in the first three games of the season? My guess is that he is saying what Willie Fritz was thinking when he first saw this year's schedule.
How did that work out leaving the SEC because we couldn’t compete?
Complete BS. We won beating teams like OleMiss, LSU and others when I was in school. Now we can’t compete. The same thing has happened to us vs Cincy. We used to own them. They actually did something about it. They beat ND. We competed with OU.
Hard to imagine we are now thinking about emulating Jackson State.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Eaglewave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:19 am
GreenLantern wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:32 am I am acquiring a renewed respect for Deion. Here's his take on small FCS schools playing P5s for a payday:

Complete BS. We won beating teams like OleMiss, LSU and others when I was in school. Now we can’t compete. The same thing has happened to us vs Cincy. We used to own them. They actually did something about it. They beat ND. We competed with OU.
The P5 and SEC world wasn’t loaded with the best players in college football back then. The world was a different place.

I don’t think Tulane should take the Jackson State model, but I don’t believe we should be scheduling opponents that we have no chance to upset. Right now, I would be only play 1 or 2 P5 programs a year that finished near the very bottom of their conference consistently for the past few seasons. Kansas, Northwestern, Arizona, Vanderbilt, Duke, Boston College are examples. We have room many questions on where we are as a program to even think about scheduling winning P5 programs.
Ball Sumrall!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:17 pm

The P5 and SEC world wasn’t loaded with the best players in college football back then. The world was a different place.

I don’t think Tulane should take the Jackson State model, but I don’t believe we should be scheduling opponents that we have no chance to upset. Right now, I would be only play 1 or 2 P5 programs a year that finished near the very bottom of their conference consistently for the past few seasons. Kansas, Northwestern, Arizona, Vanderbilt, Duke, Boston College are examples. We have room many questions on where we are as a program to even think about scheduling winning P5 programs.
Right because there wasn’t a P5 back then. We were capable of so much better than 2-10. I refuse to lower the bar anymore. Had we played #2 OU at Yulman there’s a good chance we may have won the game.
Ole Miss was a better team but when you schedule years out you can predict these things. At the time we booked Ole Miss there weren’t much too fear.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Eaglewave
Swell

For the record, Deion Sanders is doing an amazing job at Jackson State. His first recruiting class was ranked pretty damn high. In fact, they were much higher than us. One more recruiting class like that, Jackson State will easily be a FCS Powerhouse. Two more classes like that, they would be a legitimate Sun Belt, MAC or C-USA talent.

If Wille doesn’t pull together a much better year, I would mind seeing what he can do at Tulane.
Last edited by Eaglewave on Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:21 pm
Eaglewave wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:17 pm

Right because there wasn’t a P5 back then. We were capable of so much better than 2-10. I refuse to lower the bar anymore. Had we played #2 OU at Yulman there’s a good chance we may have won the game.
Ole Miss was a better team but when you schedule years out you can predict these things. At the time we booked Ole Miss there weren’t much too fear.
No, their wasn’t a P5 back then, but let’s not ignore the fact segregation was in the way of all of the best athletes competing with each other as well. It was a different world then, and the SEC wasn’t the SEC of today. It wasn’t the best against the best every Saturday.

We really don’t know what would have happened if we played Oklahoma at home. I believe the players had a bigger chip on their shoulders and played a Hurricane inspired game on the road.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

How quickly people forget how excited they were after the OU game. Believed it was going to be a big season for us. Then we destroyed a bad FCS team the way you should. Then we got greatly outcoached against Ole Miss. Kiffin played us up to his players off of the OU game. He had them fired up. Then Spears admited late in the season the team had gotten full of itself. So Ole Miss destroyed us. So no the schedule had nothing to do with the ridiculously bad season we had. IT WAS COACHING THAT DID US IN.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell

Tom Herman coached UH for 2 years, totally changed the trajectory. of that program.
Scott Frost coached UCF for 2 years, totally changed the trajectory of that. program.
Luke Fickell coached Cinci to an 11 win year in his 2nd year, totally changed the trajectory of that program.

There are some major differences between Tulane and all those schools. But we've always been 1 hot, young up and coming coach from turning this whole thing around. Need an AD and president with vision and leadership. Unfortunately the current bunch is not that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We used to be able to get that young up and coming coach to come here as we were seen as a good stepping stone job. Now the job here is seen as a career killer and so instead we end up with a Fritz.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell

- Deion Sanders
- Alex Atkins
- Billy Napier
- Shaun King
- Someone from the New Orleans HS football world

Why can't we get someone like this? Someone young, hungry, and out of the box? I'm sick of Willie tbh.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Napier and those like him see the lack of facilities and know they can't recruit and develop or win big here so they won't take this job.
wave97
Swell

Deion Sanders is smart enough to recruit talented players by applying the HBC pitch. His recent coaching success makes a compelling argument for 4 & 5 star recruits to bypass the P5.
Decades ago the national recruiting base for D1 programs was much deeper than today. Today we should give the national championship award to the winner of the SEC 🏆
What kind of facilities do HBC college's have?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They have crap facilities and they have bad teams. Neon Deion is a draw all by himself.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:01 pm - Deion Sanders
- Alex Atkins
- Billy Napier
- Shaun King

Why can't we get someone like this? Someone young, hungry, and out of the box? I'm sick of Willie tbh.
I'm sorry, but as much as I love Shaun King (I have a Tulane and Tampa SK jersey!), you lose 100% of your credibility mentioning him as a HC candidate. He wasn't very successful as a position coach, didn't want to take a job outside of his hometown area, and has been out of coaching a couple of seasons. He hasn't shown that he wants to devote his life to coaching, and that screams to me that he's not a HC at this level. And Deon Sanders will never coach at Tulane, mark my words. He's too flamboyant for stodgy old Tulane. Billy Napier would only come here on the rebound from getting fired from his current job. And there's more stories of HS coaches failing at the college level than I can remember. It's like going from a go cart track to the Indy car circuit. Yes, it's that big a jump at the FBS level from HS. One of the most successful coaches ever tried to do it at ND and failed miserably, back in the early 80's. More recently one of the legends of HS Football coaching in Texas took the job at North Texas State and went 6-37 after winning 4 State Championships in 7 years at the HS level (Southlake Carroll).
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:36 pm
Ruski wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:01 pm - Deion Sanders
- Alex Atkins
- Billy Napier
- Shaun King

I'm sorry, but as much as I love Shaun King (I have a Tulane and Tampa SK jersey!), you lose 100% of your credibility mentioning him as a HC candidate. He wasn't very successful as a position coach, didn't want to take a job outside of his hometown area, and has been out of coaching a couple of seasons. He hasn't shown that he wants to devote his life to coaching, and that screams to me that he's not a HC at this level. And Deon Sanders will never coach at Tulane, mark my words. He's too flamboyant for stodgy old Tulane. Billy Napier would only come here on the rebound from getting fired from his current job. And there's more stories of HS coaches failing at the college level than I can remember. It's like going from a go cart track to the Indy car circuit. Yes, it's that big a jump at the FBS level from HS. One of the most successful coaches ever tried to do it at ND and failed miserably, back in the early 80's. More recently one of the legends of HS Football coaching in Texas took the job at North Texas State and went 6-37 after winning 4 State Championships in 7 years at the HS level (Southlake Carroll).
All true D. Gerry Faust laid the egg at Notre Dame. And Todd Dodge failed at North Texas State. Interestingly, Dodge is back at the high school level, and has turned, always respectable, Austin Westlake into a high school behemoth—furthering your point about the difference between high school and college coaching, at the HC level.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:45 pm We used to be able to get that young up and coming coach to come here as we were seen as a good stepping stone job. Now the job here is seen as a career killer and so instead we end up with a Fritz.
We can still bring in another young gun that is trying to make a name for himself. This should indeed be the next step if Fritz doesn’t put together enough wins next season.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:35 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:45 pm We used to be able to get that young up and coming coach to come here as we were seen as a good stepping stone job. Now the job here is seen as a career killer and so instead we end up with a Fritz.
We can still bring in another young gun that is trying to make a name for himself. This should indeed be the next step if Fritz doesn’t put together enough wins next season.
Theoretically of course we can. But as I said our lack of facilities is as much of a turnoff to potential young up and comers as they are to recruits. The Tulane job is no longer seen as a top stepping stone job it’s seen as a career killer as evidenced by who else we have been hiring.
Greeniegb
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:18 pm
Theoretically of course we can. But as I said our lack of facilities is as much of a turnoff to potential young up and comers as they are to recruits. The Tulane job is no longer seen as a top stepping stone job it’s seen as a career killer as evidenced by who else we have been hiring.
Keep shouting into the wind. How did UL win and get a good coach with worst facilities than us. Bigger and less negative fanbase!!! Their fanbase supports the University.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Greeniegb wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:28 pm

Keep shouting into the wind. How did UL win and get a good coach with worst facilities than us. Bigger and less negative fanbase!!! Their fanbase supports the University.
You’re clueless as usual. They have a nice football ops. Building and are renovating the stadium. It’s why they got a Napier and we can’t.
Greeniegb
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:11 pm
Greeniegb wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:28 pm

You’re clueless as usual. They have a nice football ops. Building and are renovating the stadium. It’s why they got a Napier and we can’t.
You are clueless stadium upgrades are recent after the team won the last two years. No stadium plans were in place prior to getting Napier. The fanbase support and winning are funding the stadium improvements.

https://ragincajuns.com/news/2021/12/20 ... amily.aspx

Must be nice to get city and state funding for facility improvements!!!
The city of Lafayette and the State of Louisiana jointly financed and built the Cajundome. The state owns the land on the ‘Dome site, located just east of the University of Louisiana’s Cox Communications Athletic Center off Congress Street and Cajundome Boulevard.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They had the football ops. building before him. Get a clue.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

Sanders is not just a superb athlete, recall he played in the NFL and MLB and starred in both, he is also a very saavy guy. There is nothing at Tulane that would attract or interest him, just as there was nothing here to interest a Billy Napier once he established his program at ULL. Until Tulane makes a real commitment to athletics, it won’t attract anything better than what we have- a junior college coach who had 2 good seasons in D-2, and got luckier than he ever dreamed, a job at a school where losing was expected, accepted and by the academics desired and by running a clean program and winning 3-4 games a year, he was paid more money than he could ever imagine. Listen to his podcast with O, where he talks about the years spent coaching multiple sports, washing the uniforms and driving the bus. In a way, it’s a great story but it’s not a fulfilling one for those of us who yearn for an imaginative, energetic, charismatic up and comer who can magically turn the perception and reality of Tulane football into something we can get behind with enthusiasm and enjoy.
Wave QB
Swell

Oh Brother wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:40 pm Sanders is not just a superb athlete, recall he played in the NFL and MLB and starred in both, he is also a very saavy guy. There is nothing at Tulane that would attract or interest him, just as there was nothing here to interest a Billy Napier once he established his program at ULL. Until Tulane makes a real commitment to athletics, it won’t attract anything better than what we have- a junior college coach who had 2 good seasons in D-2, and got luckier than he ever dreamed, a job at a school where losing was expected, accepted and by the academics desired and by running a clean program and winning 3-4 games a year, he was paid more money than he could ever imagine. Listen to his podcast with O, where he talks about the years spent coaching multiple sports, washing the uniforms and driving the bus. In a way, it’s a great story but it’s not a fulfilling one for those of us who yearn for an imaginative, energetic, charismatic up and comer who can magically turn the perception and reality of Tulane football into something we can get behind with enthusiasm and enjoy.
We are falling into a desperate time. I am to the point where we might need to think about following Jackson State’s model and bring in a former NFL player to bring a spark to Tulane Football. Hell, let’s bring in Drew Brees! What about a Drama King like Ray Lewis? I heard he wanted the Grambling job before they hired Hue Jackson! That’s interesting to me.

Seriously, I really would like to see a big name hire around here. I have no problem with Urban, Ed, Gary Patterson, Dan Mullen, or Skip Holz taking the gig at this point. We need a spark from someone and somewhere.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave QB wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:00 am
We are falling into a desperate time. I am to the point where we might need to think about following Jackson State’s model and bring in a former NFL player to bring a spark to Tulane Football. Hell, let’s bring in Drew Brees! What about a Drama King like Ray Lewis? I heard he wanted the Grambling job before they hired Hue Jackson! That’s interesting to me.

Seriously, I really would like to see a big name hire around here. I have no problem with Urban, Ed, Gary Patterson, Dan Mullen, or Skip Holz taking the gig at this point. We need a spark from someone and somewhere.
On one level I can see your point of view. But my Tulane memories that a splash hire in Basketball, the other revenue sport, was an absolute nightmare that is not easily forgotten. I have no problem with a proven winner as a splash hire. But someone that's never been an HC at the FBS level is off my list.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V