Lawrence Brooks Passes Away, Oldest WWII Vet, New Orleanian

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Not a Tulane story, but one of the most deserving ones of the day:

Happy 111th birthday to Lawrence Brooks, a proud New Orleanian and the oldest living survivor of WWII. God bless him and all of those who were part of the Greatest Generation. Sometimes I fear we don't deserve their sacrifices.

Rumor has it that the military flyover this morning was in his honor. I don't know if that's true, but it would have been deserved.
Last edited by GreenLantern on Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Happy Birthday Mr Brooks !!! Thank you for your service Sir....My visor is removed, not tipped, in your honor..... (is there an online card to sign)....my farher in law is 95, lives in San Saba Tx, next to Tommy Lee Jones...he fought in the Pacific for over 4 years...enlisted at 17, was discharged at almost 23...and was called back for the Korean "conflict"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

Rest in peace Mr. Lawrence Brooks. He was the oldest WWII veteran (112), a proud New Orleanian, and a lifelong Saints fan. He died at home in his own bed. He was the son of sharecroppers, one of fifteen children. When asked in late 2021 what he would like his legacy to be, he replied: "I would like to be remembered as a strong man. A good soldier."

He was bombed and strafed in the South Pacific but because of his race, was not offered a low-interest bank loan, a reduced down payment for a house, or an education.

Mr. Brooks had recently requested a new US Army uniform to replace the original he'd lost during Hurricane Katrina. He will be buried in that uniform, as he requested.

May his memory be honored and live forever. God bless Lawrence Brooks.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:26 pm Image

Rest in peace Mr. Lawrence Brooks. He was the oldest WWII veteran (112), a proud New Orleanian, and a lifelong Saints fan. He died at home in his own bed. He was the son of sharecroppers, one of fifteen children. When asked in late 2021 what he would like his legacy to be, he replied: "I would like to be remembered as a strong man. A good soldier."

He was bombed and strafed in the South Pacific but because of his race, was not offered a low-interest bank loan, a reduced down payment for a house, or an education.

Mr. Brooks had recently requested a new US Army uniform to replace the original he'd lost during Hurricane Katrina. He will be buried in that uniform, as he requested.

May his memory be honored and live forever. God bless Lawrence Brooks.
May the warm light of God's Love shine brightly upon him and his Family, and give them Peace..... a sad day, as one more of the greatest generation, leaves this earth, but enhances Heaven with their spirit
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !