Tulane Grad leads first Space X mission to ISS

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Post Reply
Bicoastalwave
Swell
Posts: 1538
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Fri May 22, 2020 11:25 am

“ NASA has picked the afternoon of May 27 to launch the next step in America's space mission. That afternoon, if the schedule holds, will see the first manned mission to the International Space Station launched from American soil since the Space Shuttle program ended in 2011.

When the SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule launches, it will also mark the first time a spacecraft built by a private company will take men into space. The commander is Col. Doug Hurley, who has a special connection to New Orleans, as a Tulane University graduate.”

“ Doug Hurley’s path to space really got a huge boost in New Orleans in 1988, when he graduated from Tulane University with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering magna cum laude. But he was also in Tulane’s Naval ROTC program. That led him to joining the Marines, becoming a fighter pilot, a test pilot and 20 years ago, an astronaut.”


https://www.wwltv.com/mobile/article/te ... 89e8cf704e


DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9502
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri May 22, 2020 1:21 pm

Bicoastalwave wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:25 am
“ NASA has picked the afternoon of May 27 to launch the next step in America's space mission. That afternoon, if the schedule holds, will see the first manned mission to the International Space Station launched from American soil since the Space Shuttle program ended in 2011.

When the SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule launches, it will also mark the first time a spacecraft built by a private company will take men into space. The commander is Col. Doug Hurley, who has a special connection to New Orleans, as a Tulane University graduate.”

“ Doug Hurley’s path to space really got a huge boost in New Orleans in 1988, when he graduated from Tulane University with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering magna cum laude. But he was also in Tulane’s Naval ROTC program. That led him to joining the Marines, becoming a fighter pilot, a test pilot and 20 years ago, an astronaut.”


https://www.wwltv.com/mobile/article/te ... 89e8cf704e
Very cool. Safe travels, Doug!
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
anEngineer
Surge
Posts: 754
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm
Status: Offline

Fri May 22, 2020 1:29 pm

Remember when Tulane had a full engineering program? What a strange thing to have at a major national university!!!
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9502
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri May 22, 2020 1:47 pm

anEngineer wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:29 pm
Remember when Tulane had a full engineering program? What a strange thing to have at a major national university!!!
And when did Cowen close it down??

Perhaps in the time that New Orleans most needed engineers?

Sorry to bring the venom of Cowen back into this. I just wish the University would distance from Mr. Cowen. Those were not anything close to resembling "heyday" years.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5767
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Fri May 22, 2020 7:42 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:47 pm
anEngineer wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:29 pm
Remember when Tulane had a full engineering program? What a strange thing to have at a major national university!!!
And when did Cowen close it down??

Perhaps in the time that New Orleans most needed engineers?

Sorry to bring the venom of Cowen back into this. I just wish the University would distance from Mr. Cowen. Those were not anything close to resembling "heyday" years.
Let’s shudder civil engineering after perhaps the worst civil engineering disaster, seems reasonable.
FYI, Of course, I may be biased as I have a degree in Civil Engineering.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19709
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Fri May 22, 2020 8:19 pm

Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
IM42lane
Swell
Posts: 1920
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:36 pm
Location: St. George, LA 70817-6045
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri May 22, 2020 11:43 pm

Wasn't Col. Hurley the CO on the very last space shuttle mission?
With Regards to All, (& Keep it ROLLIN' . . .),

"Pete" M.

A.S. Madere

Tulane College A&S/ Navy ROTC 1974
Bicoastalwave
Swell
Posts: 1538
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Sat May 23, 2020 10:53 am

The most intelligent folks I knew at Tulane were in the engineering program. Kind of insane and amazing Cowen was allowed to give it the axe. What will it take to bring it back ? It seems like there are many successful Engineering Alums, many of whom are fiercely loyal. Seems like it should be a priority to restore.
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 7568
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sat May 23, 2020 5:44 pm

IM42lane wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:43 pm
Wasn't Col. Hurley the CO on the very last space shuttle mission?
I'll give you half credit. He was the pilot, but not the Commander


https://www.space.com/12195-space-shutt ... nauts.html
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sun May 24, 2020 10:24 am

RobertM320 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:44 pm
IM42lane wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:43 pm
Wasn't Col. Hurley the CO on the very last space shuttle mission?
I'll give you half credit. He was the pilot, but not the Commander


https://www.space.com/12195-space-shutt ... nauts.html
I put my faith in the pilot flying the plane, not some commander of the flite attendants
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 2072
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Sun May 24, 2020 10:59 am

RobertM320 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:44 pm
I'm not sure if this is you or not and this is totally off-topic but I just saw a facebook post that glowingly recommended moldaners.com for digital printing services.

If this isn't you or if you didn't want to be "outed" like this I apologize.

I just wanted to share some good news.
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Riptide
Posts: 3685
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Wed May 27, 2020 12:37 pm

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9502
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed May 27, 2020 1:07 pm

BigSteve, that's compelling video. Thanks for sharing, I'll check back closer to 4 PM EDT.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 2431
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Wed May 27, 2020 1:16 pm

Godspeed Captain Hurley!
bbos1
Trickle
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:02 am
Status: Offline

Wed May 27, 2020 5:02 pm

I am not sure that I totally agree with Bicoastal Wave's blanket statement about the most intelligent students at Tulane. I can think of some extremely intelligent premed students that frequently surpassed the engineering students in chemistry, calculus and physics. I am not downplaying the intelligence of the engineering students but there were plenty other very intelligent students at Tulane who were not studying engineering. Just saying
Bicoastalwave
Swell
Posts: 1538
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Wed May 27, 2020 5:36 pm

bbos1 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:02 pm
I am not sure that I totally agree with Bicoastal Wave's blanket statement about the most intelligent students at Tulane. I can think of some extremely intelligent premed students that frequently surpassed the engineering students in chemistry, calculus and physics. I am not downplaying the intelligence of the engineering students but there were plenty other very intelligent students at Tulane who were not studying engineering. Just saying
I don’t disagree. I was speaking anecdotally about my experience and some of the people I knew at Tulane. I also knew brilliant premed, law, architecture, etc folks.
Post Reply