FTW Weekly: What were the best Tulane Football games of the 2010's?

The leading blog for Tulane fans. Coverage on FTW & Twitter for Green Wave Football, Hoops, Baseball and more.
fearthewaveblog
Ripple

FTW writer Janny looks back in our newsletter this week at the most memorable / fun games of the 2010's:

https://fearthewave.substack.com/p/the- ... l-games-of

Did you have any other games that stood out to you from the last decade of Tulane Football (starting in 2010 with Bob Toledo through 2019 with Willie Fritz)?

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

fearthewaveblog wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:42 pm FTW writer Janny looks back in our newsletter this week at the most memorable / fun games of the 2010's:

https://fearthewave.substack.com/p/the- ... l-games-of

Did you have any other games that stood out to you from the last decade of Tulane Football (starting in 2010 with Bob Toledo through 2019 with Willie Fritz)?
Well done, thanks.
Show Me
Tsunami

The New Orleans Bowl was memorable. Cure Bowl nice as well.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The 2004 game at Gormley: Lester Ricard throws for 417 yards and 6 TD's as Tulane beats UAB 59-55 in regulation.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:01 pm The 2004 game at Gormley: Lester Ricard throws for 417 yards and 6 TD's as Tulane beats UAB 59-55 in regulation.
That homecoming game at gormley unfortunately is memorable as well, no matter how many brain cells I kill . . .
ajcalhoun
Swell

The Houston game from last year should be up there.
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:54 pm The Houston game from last year should be up there.
AJ...read the article. It's not only up there, it's #1!!!
ajcalhoun
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:58 pm
ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:54 pm The Houston game from last year should be up there.
AJ...read the article. It's not only up there, it's #1!!!
Doh! My bad!
God Bless Everyone!
swampnik
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:01 pm The 2004 game at Gormley: Lester Ricard throws for 417 yards and 6 TD's as Tulane beats UAB 59-55 in regulation.
It was a "full house" to boot.
I was there. Loved it. Ricard to Izzy Route all day! UAB was ranked 24/25 in some publication at the time it seemed.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They were ranked in one of the two major polls.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Thank U for the recaps and the rankings...How I wish the younger members could somehow "Go Back to the Future" to December 1, 1973

ya want crowds, at the time, the largest attended nite game in the history of college football...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

That will always be the game I missed, because I was 12 years old, living in CT, and not yet a Tulane fan. I really enjoy watching those clips. That Looney to Willie pass was a well thrown dart down the seam. The emotion in the stadium as the fans stormed the field must have been incredible. I'm happy for those of you that got to see it.

I started following the Wave in 79, became an adamant fan when I arrived on campus in 81. Just in time to watch the 48-7 Thanksgiving Day Massacre in the Superdome!

Was also in Tiger Stadium for the 31-28 Tulane salute to the Orange Bowl the following year! I believe the Tigers were ranked #5 or so at the time.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:58 am That will always be the game I missed, because I was 12 years old, living in CT, and not yet a Tulane fan. I really enjoy watching those clips. That Looney to Willie pass was a well thrown dart down the seam. The emotion in the stadium as the fans stormed the field must have been incredible. I'm happy for those of you that got to see it.

I started following the Wave in 79, became an adamant fan when I arrived on campus in 81. Just in time to watch the 48-7 Thanksgiving Day Massacre in the Superdome!

Was also in Tiger Stadium for the 31-28 Tulane salute to the Orange Bowl the following year! I believe the Tigers were ranked #5 or so at the time.
31-28..The Reggie Reginelli Bowl !!!!
Regarding the '73 game...the Tulane players stayed in the dorms the nite before and Mark Olivieri had his stereo speakers in the windows, it was blaring Pattons Speech to the troops, as seen and heard at the beginning of the movie "Patton".."No bastard, ever won a war dying for his country, he won it by making some other poor dumb bastard die for his"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Question for those long term followers of Tulane Athletics: Was that game in the old stadium the biggest win in Tulane history? Would the NIT win at UNLV (or in the Assembly Center earlier in the NIT) compete? How about the LSU SuperRegional win at Zepher Field? Others?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Biggest win ever. The others were fun but pale in comparison.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:53 am Biggest win ever. The others were fun but pale in comparison.
Plus 1 for me !!!! for those not old enuff to have experienced not only that nite, but the days leading up to the Game...the media, the fans, the electricity in the air...every other tualen sporting event, pales in comparison..and remember. the '73 game was suppose to be played in BR, my next door neighbor, was a big LSU fan, when it was announced lsu would be playing at Tulane, he told me lsu was in deep shit, if Tulane stayed healthy
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

for U younger members...this game will come as close as you will ever have of reliving 1973...1987 game, the Dome was packed..Jones to Zeno
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Bigger than winning the Sugar Bowl and SEC in 1934 over #12 temple ? Although hilariously that games attendance was only 22,000.

Also how did we win the SEC outright in 1949 and not go to a bowl game ?!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:28 pm Bigger than winning the Sugar Bowl and SEC in 1934 over #12 temple ? Although hilariously that games attendance was only 22,000.

I may be incorrect, I think Notre Dame was named AP National Champion that year, and they did not go to a bowl either...the 1949, Jan 1st Bowl games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1949_coll ... Bowl_games
MicMan
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:28 pm Bigger than winning the Sugar Bowl and SEC in 1934 over #12 temple ? Although hilariously that games attendance was only 22,000.

There was a freak snowstorm the night before the SB game, someone posted photos here of the field beimng shoveled out. That may have tempered attendance. Also, it was the first SB, no history there.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:51 pm

There was a freak snowstorm the night before the SB game, someone posted photos here of the field beimng shoveled out. That may have tempered attendance. Also, it was the first SB, no history there.
Sugar Bowl Tulane vs Temple...sum intresting tidbits
https://allstatesugarbowl.org/classic/1 ... -got-here/

let's go to the video...The game was a sell out
https://digitallibrary.tulane.edu/islan ... ne%3A75203
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The game was sold out. Only 22k came because of the snow and cold. The capacity at the time was 26k. The Sugar Bowl was responsible, to my knowledge, for every stadium expansion ultimately leading to a stadium that was 80k, the biggest in the South, and set attendance records regularly.

Those were the days.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yes. First the Sugar Bowl wasn't what it is now. Neither was the SEC. As to that LSU game it had been 25 years since we had beat them and it was widely claimed and believed by many that Tulane could not beat LSU ever again. Not only did we win but we shut them out. That really galled them and made the win that much more meaningful.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:08 pm

The game was sold out. Only 22k came because of the snow and cold. The capacity at the time was 26k. The Sugar Bowl was responsible, to my knowledge, for every stadium expansion ultimately leading to a stadium that was 80k, the biggest in the South, and set attendance records regularly.

Those were the days.
Yes after the initial build all expansions were paid for by the Sugar Bowl.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:01 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:08 pm

Those were the days.
Yes after the initial build all expansions were paid for by the Sugar Bowl.
I think Tulane -Sugar Bowl stadium may still hold the record for hosting the most Superbowls...I am sure it will be broken by the Dome