Cowen's plan unfolding before our eyes

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
rollinggreen
High Tide

The year was 2002. Tulane beats USM 31-10 and gets invite to the Hawaii bowl. Tulane then wins the game 36-28 over Hawaii so what comes next? The review. Cowen had almost snuck it by and had the votes to kill or at the very least downgrade football until a very caring member broke the news on the nola board. Buddy D had even broke the news that Cowen was close to eliminating football as we know it at Tulane. Of course we all know what happened and it was unanimous to keep football at the D-1 level. Of course we all knew that this would not be the end of it. Enter the "Tulane Model" and there you have it. He has made it impossible to win and the crowds are dwindling to around 5,000 a game. Of course this cannot go on forever like this so he pretends to care and comes up with the cock a mammy playbook as a smoke screen. He will eventually kill off the program and blame it on lack of support. This man is not dumb and will get his way if he is not ousted soon. I do not know if this can be done but to the few fans that are left, welcome to catch 22.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

+1
Cowen digs into fan support on the New Orleans Public Belt Railroad scandal as recent as March 2011.......
That really pi$$ed me off.
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... ly_to.html
Tulane University President Scott Cowen, who chairs the committee, agreed that the cars could be put to use, though he cautioned that the notion has been more popular in theory than in practice.
"I liken the business cars to Tulane football: Every wants it but nobody goes to it," he said.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Fat Harry
Low Tide

I agree. He lost the battle with the Review but it looks like he will win the war. No one cares anymore. The games are boring...even I would rather watch the SEC games in the afternoon than go to a 7/8ths empty Dome and watch the horse$h!t that Toledo puts out. And most people are with me.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Cowen should be tarred and feathered for destroying Tulane football and allowing Tulane to go nowhere academically. Worse president in Tualne history.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Bigschtick wrote:Cowen should be tarred and feathered for destroying Tulane football and allowing Tulane to go nowhere academically. Worse president in Tualne history.
Unfortunately, things like this keep happening that support his view that you can't run a "clean" program AND be competitive at the same time. :(

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/14/sport ... state.html

Boise State gives improper benefits to some football athletes.

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this. I didn't know.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
JTLiuzza
Swell

That episode doesn't support Cowen's idiotic view at all.

It's like using the example of Enron or Bernie Madoff to support the view that the only way you can be successful in business is to cheat. It's absurd on it's face.

There are dozens and dozens of FBS schools who are competitive and are playing by the rules, i.e. have institutional control.

The other issue is player behavior which is not necessarily an issue of institutional control. Sometimes college kids will do stupid things, like, I don't know, try to stab five people in a bar. The draconian admission standards and dearth of fields of study for athletes that are supposed to prevent the "undesirables" from sullying pristine Tulane obviously don't work. At least they don't work for what the geniuses who put them in place claim they are intended to do.

They have proven to be very effective in hamstringing a football program, however.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
JTLiuzza
Swell

1ndabag wrote:That episode doesn't support Cowen's idiotic view at all.

It's like using the example of Enron or Bernie Madoff to support the view that the only way you can be successful in business is to cheat. It's absurd on it's face.

There are dozens and dozens of FBS schools who are competitive and are playing by the rules, i.e. have institutional control.

The other issue is player behavior which is not necessarily an issue of institutional control. Sometimes college kids will do stupid things, like, I don't know, try to stab five people in a bar. The draconian admission standards and dearth of fields of study for athletes that are supposed to prevent the "undesirables" from sullying pristine Tulane obviously don't work. At least they don't work for what the geniuses who put them in place claim they are intended to do.

They have proven to be very effective in hamstringing a football program, however.
This was in response to a post that linked an article about Boise State's issues with the NCAA and cited it as being an example of the correctness of Cowen's imbecilic views on D1 football. I didn't quote and by the time I posted my reply the original post was gone.

Just so you guys don't think I'm talking to phantoms. :mrgreen:
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Sorry for the confusion bag. I moved the post to a new topic, but moved it back to avoid confusion. Post away.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
RobertM320
Green Wave

Sorry about that. I meant to imply it was the type of thing SC and RD would USE to show that. Not that it actually does support it.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

NOLABigSteve wrote:Sorry for the confusion bag. I moved the post to a new topic, but moved it back to avoid confusion. Post away.
:lol: :lol: He had me scrolling back up to see where the post went, because I knew I had just seen it! Again, I was really just saying that its the type of thing they would USE to support their view. Not that it actually DOES. I don't want everyone to unfairly label me a "Tulane model" proponent.
JTLiuzza
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:

Sorry about that. I meant to imply it was the type of thing SC and RD would USE to show that. Not that it actually does support it.
I gotcha. Thanks.