Quarterback Competition?

Wave after Wave is a Tulane football blog covering everything from recruiting to game recaps. This is your one stop shop for all things Tulane football. We will be posting at least once a week during the off season highlighting individual players and position groups.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25572
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Mensah has repeatedly made weak throws to open receivers allowing the DB's to have time to recover and break the passes up. He worked with the 2's all day, never the ones. It's a two man race between Kai and Ty.


BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
arkhou02
Surge
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Ty hasn’t done anything to deserve #1. Really a disappointing performance in the spring practices. He has size, he has the arm, & he can run. However, his accuracy and his knack for throwing interceptions is concerning (same thing applies to Horton).

The fact no one won the job by any margin is not good at all. No QB equals a middle of the pack record (and no starter/depth at OT makes the situation even worse).
Last edited by arkhou02 on Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arkhou02
Surge
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:22 pm Mensah has repeatedly made weak throws to open receivers allowing the DB's to have time to recover and break the passes up. He worked with the 2's all day, never the ones. It's a two man race between Kai and Ty.
Very concerning.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25572
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

This is a true competition. Many people assumed because of his ratings Ty was going to be the starter and this supposed competition was just a dog and pony show. Not the case . it has always been a true competition. Horton had gone into the portal This staff went after him to get him back because they see his talent. They'll continue to develop and one will grab the job.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
arkhou02
Surge
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

But how effective can either one be? The flaws have been there for each one of them for 3-4 years in a college system. I’m hoping we keep looking for a QB, or Tasby is a Michael Pratt.
Greeniegb
Swell
Posts: 1861
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:37 am
Status: Offline

winwave wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:14 am This is a true competition. Many people assumed because of his ratings Ty was going to be the starter and this supposed competition was just a dog and pony show. Not the case . it has always been a true competition. Horton had gone into the portal This staff went after him to get him back because they see his talent. They'll continue to develop and one will grab the job.
The Quarterback is in the House, Ty, Kai, or Darian, Coach has said that!!! These posts now say we should continue looking have no clue, we are getting great defensive play that would make most quarterbacks look inadequate!!! The chosen one will be the one showing leadership, and processing ability. They all have strong arms.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13239
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

arkhou02 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:24 pm Ty hasn’t done anything to deserve #1. Really a disappointing performance in the spring practices. He has size, he has the arm, & he can run. However, his accuracy and his knack for throwing interceptions is concerning (same thing applies to Horton).

The fact no one won the job by any margin is not good at all. No QB equals a middle of the pack record (and no starter/depth at OT makes the situation even worse).
Relax. It's April. I've seen enough from Kai prior to this spring to know he's capable of providing adequate QB production and we can win games with him. Do we want more production and better play than we've seen from him? Absolutely. But we can win games with him and I expect him to get better between now and late August. Likewise with Ty Thompson. I didn't expect the competition to be over by now and few did. But even if we only get the QB play at the level Kai has played to date, we should win 10 games. I have full confidence the coaching staff will find ways to take advantage of whoever is at QB's strengths, and get the ball to our many playmakers in spaces they can use their strengths as well.

Remember, we upgraded the HC and coaching staff. That's probably more important than who is under center when the summer ends. I'm much more concerned with our O-Line than the QB position at this time.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
User avatar
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami
Posts: 5125
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Not getting into a pissing match with anyone. My opinion is that Ty will be the starter unless he gets injured in the off-season / Fall camp (knock on wood).
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 27072
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Coach Sumrall addresses the QB position on the opening question

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
1989alum
Low Tide
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:46 am
Status: Offline

Has Ibieta graduated and left the team given all his injuries?
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25572
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

He's still on the team.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 27072
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

1989alum wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:53 am Has Ibieta graduated and left the team given all his injuries?
Hoping to be ready in the Fall
Image
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
arkhou02
Surge
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

DfromCT wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:14 am
arkhou02 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:24 pm Ty hasn’t done anything to deserve #1. Really a disappointing performance in the spring practices. He has size, he has the arm, & he can run. However, his accuracy and his knack for throwing interceptions is concerning (same thing applies to Horton).

The fact no one won the job by any margin is not good at all. No QB equals a middle of the pack record (and no starter/depth at OT makes the situation even worse).
Relax. It's April. I've seen enough from Kai prior to this spring to know he's capable of providing adequate QB production and we can win games with him. Do we want more production and better play than we've seen from him? Absolutely. But we can win games with him and I expect him to get better between now and late August. Likewise with Ty Thompson. I didn't expect the competition to be over by now and few did. But even if we only get the QB play at the level Kai has played to date, we should win 10 games. I have full confidence the coaching staff will find ways to take advantage of whoever is at QB's strengths, and get the ball to our many playmakers in spaces they can use their strengths as well.

Remember, we upgraded the HC and coaching staff. That's probably more important than who is under center when the summer ends. I'm much more concerned with our O-Line than the QB position at this time.
Good points, but I am concerned about QB & OT.
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25572
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

The OL is again a concern. Fortunately Ty is very mobile and Kai is much more mobile then given credit for. Both can throw well on designed roll outs.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
arkhou02
Surge
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

WW, do you think we are solid with Hurst, Remetich, & Green. Are we looking for two starters to emerge? Has anyone on the roster flash that ability?

At edge, who are the contenders? Any of them as good as Deal & Cooper? Fobbs-White, Anderson, Lunz, Garner, Henderson, Petersen, or Batiste?
YulkeithBrownFan
Ripple
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:16 pm
Status: Offline

Even though he has not played well enough to earn it, Ty will eventually win the starting job. Too much size and athleticism to not be given the chance to start. Thst being said if you don’t think Darian Mensah is the future of this team, you’re not paying attention.
Greeniegb
Swell
Posts: 1861
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:37 am
Status: Offline

YulkeithBrownFan wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:24 pm Even though he has not played well enough to earn it, Ty will eventually win the starting job. Too much size and athleticism to not be given the chance to start. Thst being said if you don’t think Darian Mensah is the future of this team, you’re not paying attention.
You guys are a joke, Ty has always had the size and arm but could not start a single college football game. His negatives stick out, according to Coach Sumrall, overthinker, needs to relax, who wants a starting quarterback that can't relax, overthinks so that means he is not a quick processor of the defense he sees. In key games if he can't relax in a Spring game what about Conference Championship type games. You have no clue what makes a good Quarterback. Kai has performed in big games nothing new for him. Ty's negatives are obvious on the sidelines he was quiet to himself thinking all the time, no smiles. This is big time and he has not proven he is up to the pressures!!!
Greeniegb
Swell
Posts: 1861
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:37 am
Status: Offline

tpstulane wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:25 am
1989alum wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:53 am Has Ibieta graduated and left the team given all his injuries?
Hoping to be ready in the Fall
Image
Saw a flexible brace under his jersey for control. far from ready, Coach Sumrall does not have him in the conversation. Commented that he is not sure he will ever be playing again.
arkhou02
Surge
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Greeniegb wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:13 pm
YulkeithBrownFan wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:24 pm Even though he has not played well enough to earn it, Ty will eventually win the starting job. Too much size and athleticism to not be given the chance to start. Thst being said if you don’t think Darian Mensah is the future of this team, you’re not paying attention.
You guys are a joke, Ty has always had the size and arm but could not start a single college football game. His negatives stick out, according to Coach Sumrall, overthinker, needs to relax, who wants a starting quarterback that can't relax, overthinks so that means he is not a quick processor of the defense he sees. In key games if he can't relax in a Spring game what about Conference Championship type games. You have no clue what makes a good Quarterback. Kai has performed in big games nothing new for him. Ty's negatives are obvious on the sidelines he was quiet to himself thinking all the time, no smiles. This is big time and he has not proven he is up to the pressures!!!
You are lost in the wilderness my friend.
arkhou02
Surge
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

WW, check out my questions above on OL & DE. Just a reminder as they can get lost once buried in the thread. Thanks
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25572
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

arkhou02 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:06 pm WW, do you think we are solid with Hurst, Remetich, & Green. Are we looking for two starters to emerge? Has anyone on the roster flash that ability?

At edge, who are the contenders? Any of them as good as Deal & Cooper? Fobbs-White, Anderson, Lunz, Garner, Henderson, Petersen, or Batiste?
Hurst, Remetich and Green are ok . We definitely need tackles . Steward was looking ok till getting nicked up. But there's no getting around this being a position of serious concern.

Fobbs-White is doing better and I like some things Henderson has done. Batiste is going to be good eventually. Ptereson is more inside and has performed well.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 27072
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 25572
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

YulkeithBrownFan wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:24 pm Even though he has not played well enough to earn it, Ty will eventually win the starting job. Too much size and athleticism to not be given the chance to start. Thst being said if you don’t think Darian Mensah is the future of this team, you’re not paying attention.
You need to get over your butt being burned by critique of your article on Mensah. I gave you credit on your first couple of articles but that one was over the top. No one has said he doesn't have potential. I specifically said he does and he has a future. I would not go so far as saying he IS THE future. We need to keep recruiting this position and we'll likely need another quality transfer next year if Ty and Kai are both gone.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Post Reply