ACC moves to merit-based revenue sharing

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Another pandora's box is being opened, not unlike the NIL and portal curve balls, the inevitable "eat what you kill" revenue sharing begins. I haven't seen any ACC details on the new plan other than it will in part be based on wins/losses. Watch the lemmings follow in the other conferences. At least, for now, the ACC won't be losing their versions of UT, OU, USC and UCLA. Had the old Big 12 and PAC 12 done something similar, they might still have those schools. The P5 free ride, for some schools, is coming to an end. Eventually, merit-based revenue sharing might actually complicate the calculus about what schools like Tulane, SMU etc. may want to do if they ever get an invite from any of the Lagging 3 conferences (B12, P10, ACC). That said, the money trade-offs are almost secondary to getting out from under the horrific AACUSA schedule.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
anEngineer
Riptide

Troy Dannen talked about this last year in an interview that the model was likely to go to merit-based with regard to the new AAC. The context was that the new members were not going to get the same shares as existing AAC. In all conferences, he suggested that each team would essentially be given a media value and that's the share they would get.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

It may actually make it easier to join a conference because the media contract could be increased accordingly and not cost existing conference members anything.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This is only as to money derived from post season success. Everything else continues to get shared the same:

"These "success incentives" are based on performance in revenue-generating postseason competition -- more specifically, the College Football Playoff and NCAA tournament. A larger share of that revenue will go to the teams participating rather than getting divided equally among all members.

All other revenues, including those from the league's current television contract, will continue to be shared equally. While the complete specifics have not yet been solidified, the success incentive initiative will begin in 2024-25, once the expanded College Football Playoff begins."
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:02 pm Another pandora's box is being opened, not unlike the NIL and portal curve balls, the inevitable "eat what you kill" revenue sharing begins. I haven't seen any ACC details on the new plan other than it will in part be based on wins/losses. Watch the lemmings follow in the other conferences. At least, for now, the ACC won't be losing their versions of UT, OU, USC and UCLA. Had the old Big 12 and PAC 12 done something similar, they might still have those schools. The P5 free ride, for some schools, is coming to an end. Eventually, merit-based revenue sharing might actually complicate the calculus about what schools like Tulane, SMU etc. may want to do if they ever get an invite from any of the Lagging 3 conferences (B12, P10, ACC). That said, the money trade-offs are almost secondary to getting out from under the horrific AACUSA schedule.
POST SEASON REVENUE will be split based upon earnings, something that I believe the Big East has been doing already. UConn made a lot more money from the NCAA tournament than any other school, bringing $30 million back to pay down their $50 million deficit. The National Championship probably saved their AD's job for another year or two.

TV Revenue is unaffected by the new ACC deal. So the "bottom feeders" are still going to have plenty to feed off of.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:52 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:02 pm Another pandora's box is being opened, not unlike the NIL and portal curve balls, the inevitable "eat what you kill" revenue sharing begins. I haven't seen any ACC details on the new plan other than it will in part be based on wins/losses. Watch the lemmings follow in the other conferences. At least, for now, the ACC won't be losing their versions of UT, OU, USC and UCLA. Had the old Big 12 and PAC 12 done something similar, they might still have those schools. The P5 free ride, for some schools, is coming to an end. Eventually, merit-based revenue sharing might actually complicate the calculus about what schools like Tulane, SMU etc. may want to do if they ever get an invite from any of the Lagging 3 conferences (B12, P10, ACC). That said, the money trade-offs are almost secondary to getting out from under the horrific AACUSA schedule.
POST SEASON REVENUE will be split based upon earnings, something that I believe the Big East does as well. UConn made a lot more money from the NCAA tournament than any other school, bringing $30 million back to pay down their $50 million deficit.

TV Revenue is unaffected by the new ACC deal. So the "bottom feeders" are still going to have plenty to feed off of.
So the immediate question then is, will Clemson, Fla St., Miami and to some degree the other power 4 of 7, get enough of a financial boost to appease them? And if so, for how long? It would seem they will still be light-years from the Big 10 and SEC schools.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:00 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:52 pm
POST SEASON REVENUE will be split based upon earnings, something that I believe the Big East does as well. UConn made a lot more money from the NCAA tournament than any other school, bringing $30 million back to pay down their $50 million deficit.

So the immediate question then is, will Clemson, Fla St., Miami and to some degree the other power 4 of 7, get enough of a financial boost to appease them? And if so, for how long? It would seem they will still be light-years from the Big 10 and SEC schools.
Long enough to prevent a costly legal battle to get out of the ACC and its iron-clad rights agreement? That is the question. In the meantime, I'd love to see Duke, UVa, Carolina and Wake all win basketball championships before FSU and Miami win football or basketball and laugh their ways to the bank.
Tulane1111
High Tide

What is a Cotton Bowl win vs a top 10 team worth?😎

Btw another point about last season I didnt realize, to go along with beating the Big 12
champ, USC last game of regular season they beat a ranked Notre Dame. USC only loses were twice to Utah and us in the Cotton Bowl.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Tulane1111 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:27 pm What is a Cotton Bowl win vs a top 10 team worth?😎

Btw another point about last season I didnt realize, to go along with beating the Big 12
champ, USC last game of regular season they beat a ranked Notre Dame. USC only loses were twice to Utah and us in the Cotton Bowl.

Yes we beat the Big 12 Champions on their turf, that helped us get the NY6 bid despite the loss to USM. We were the highest ranked G5 champion by the playoff committee. The Cotton Bowl paid $4 million to both participants.
MicMan
Swell

Did Fritz sign the extension?