Mike Aresco calls for the abolishment of P5/G5 divide

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

P2/G8 ? :o :o
https://theathletic.com/4293727/2023/03 ... ed_article
Time to ‘rethink’ the divide?

“What’s with this P5/G5 business? It’s time to rethink it,” Aresco told The Athletic. “Let’s just talk about FBS schools. Let’s give everybody a fair shake.”

In the wake of the more recent conference realignments and the upcoming expansion of the College Football Playoff to a 12-team format, Aresco has been increasingly bothered by the continued separation of P5 and G5 programs within the public discourse. “I’ve been reading more and more articles about P5 this, P5 that. It’s like the G5 doesn’t exist,” said Aresco. “That’s not healthy for college sports. You get tired of that divide, and I think it’s harmful.”

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

That's nice. After years of a fruitless "P6" campaign, he'll get the same results with this one.

"If you plant ice you gonna harvest wind."
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenie78
Riptide

In a sense, he's right. There's a huge financial gap between the SEC/Big 10 and the rest of the FBS. The Big 12 is smart for what they did, solidifying themselves as the next tier, but the best B-12 team won't ever compete with a Georgia/Alabama/Ohio State, etc. Still their relatively safe as a conference because they don't have a team who will be poached by the Big 10/SEC. The high end teams in the PAC-12 and ACC aren't really competing against the B12 at this point. They know they need to keep up with the Big 10/SEC especially if they're not being invited anytime soon to either of those conferences.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

He makes a whole lot of valid points, but unfortunately they're mostly falling on deaf ears. Why should the marquis names that draw the most viewers be financially responsible for those that do not? That same self-interest will ultimately rear it's head inside the SEC and B1G soon as well. Just wait until the Alabama's and Ohio States tell the Vanderbilts and Purdues that they no longer are equal partners. That day is coming fast.

Not that I like any of this, but it is what it is. All about the money.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Unfortunately, Aresco is just pissing in the wind. He knows eventually the AAC will get further raided by either the PAC remains, the ACC remains, or the MWC. Aresco really screwed up putting the Charlotte, and Texas ball-and-chains around the AAC. It has put the Komodo Dragon bite on the AAC--death may not be immediate, but it will be inevitable. His desperate plea for fairness and equity will go wholly ignored. Economics will drive the future, and the big state football factories will continue to get the lion's share of the revenue. The soon to be big losers will be the lower end P5 programs--which will effectively blur the lines between the lower end P5's and the G5's.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:03 pm He makes a whole lot of valid points, but unfortunately they're mostly falling on deaf ears. Why should the marquis names that draw the most viewers be financially responsible for those that do not? That same self-interest will ultimately rear it's head inside the SEC and B1G soon as well. Just wait until the Alabama's and Ohio States tell the Vanderbilts and Purdues that they no longer are equal partners. That day is coming fast.

Not that I like any of this, but it is what it is. All about the money.
Absolutely D. And that revenue day of reckoning will make P5 vs G5 largely irrelevant, except for the scheduling aspect--which will still give some lower end programs an ability to attract more viewers.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
greenie78
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:08 pm Unfortunately, Aresco is just pissing in the wind. He knows eventually the AAC will get further raided by either the PAC remains, the ACC remains, or the MWC. Aresco really screwed up putting the Charlotte, and Texas ball-and-chains around the AAC. It has put the Komodo Dragon bite on the AAC--death may not be immediate, but it will be inevitable. His desperate plea for fairness and equity will go wholly ignored. Economics will drive the future, and the big state football factories will continue to get the lion's share of the revenue. The soon to be big losers will be the lower end P5 programs--which will effectively blur the lines between the lower end P5's and the G5's.
I feel like ESPN forced the AAC to add all those teams just to kill C-USA. They wouldn't let the AAC raid the Sun Belt and basically demanded the AAC to add all those C-USA teams. Aresco made the mistake of not trying to raid the MWC a few years prior especially when the AAC clearly demonstrated itself to be the class of the G5s.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Show Me
Tsunami

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:44 pm
The media creation. Hard to overcome that.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pee2 next I bet. 🤣🤣🤣
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

I understand the desire to get rid of labels, but there is a very realistic difference between the schools that have huge tv money contracts and those who don't. Right now, we are lucky enough to be getting a lot more than most G5s, and they wish they were us. Getting rid of the labels will change nothing.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He's doing what he has to do as the commissioner. Nothing will change the perception as it's been out there too long but doesn't hurt to put his message out. We are lucky to have him.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.