Tyjae Spears

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:26 am Tennessee after draft article of today on why selection of Tyjae in the 3rd round in spite of his having no ACL. And, nice background story on our great back. 😎👍🏻 https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 170008007/
I was about to post what I'm pretty sure was a link to the same story for a different reason. Some posters INSIST that we accept players at the NCAA minimum standards. Apparently, that was not the case with Tyjae who had the minimum score needed and could have blown off Tulane and accepted his offer at K-State. Instead, he worked on his test taking and re-took the test to match the tougher Tulane minimums.

We could have lost Tyjae had he taken the easy route and gone with his NCAA approved test score to K-State due to the differences in admissions standards. Things have gotten better, including jock-friendly major programs, but clearly we do not accept at NCAA minimums.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:49 pm
Wave755 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:26 am Tennessee after draft article of today on why selection of Tyjae in the 3rd round in spite of his having no ACL. And, nice background story on our great back. 😎👍🏻 https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 170008007/
I was about to post what I'm pretty sure was a link to the same story for a different reason. Some posters INSIST that we accept players at the NCAA minimum standards. Apparently, that was not the case with Tyjae who had the minimum score needed and could have blown off Tulane and accepted his offer at K-State. Instead, he worked on his test taking and re-took the test to match the tougher Tulane minimums.

We could have lost Tyjae had he taken the easy route and gone with his NCAA approved test score to K-State due to the differences in admissions standards. Things have gotten better, including jock-friendly major programs, but clearly we do not accept at NCAA minimums.
Glad he said it publicly because coaches have told me that in private as well.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Shouldn't have posted that, D. Now winwave will be on here saying that's not true.

In 3..2..1
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:49 pm

There was a prior story on it. He had to take it three times I believe. He had gotten a 16. He got a 19 and got in.

The article also says his own brother had never heard he didn't have an ACL.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

No doubt Memphis, Houston, Southern Miss and others have easier admission requirements than Tulane when it comes down to it. Obviously Spears has proved this. Happy he was able to get Tulane admitted.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

From an article by Maddy Hudak:

"After multiple scores ranging from 14 to 16, Spears accomplished a 19 on his final ACT which awarded him the scholarship from Tulane".

I believe the minimum is 17. This makes it appear he finally jumped from below the minimum to a 19. Long form article that never said anything about being able to get in K. State but not Tulane. So even if raised it's not much. Certainly not the 30 some here have claimed our athletes need to get in. Then there are the athlete friendly majors in place for over a decade now. We are also getting not only grad transfers but also undergrad transfers . Then we are getting JUCO's. So the transferring of credits issue has been changed. Bottom line any coach blaming academics for his teams failures is full of shit. But they will because we have fans that want to cling to it as the issue. It worked for Willie when he was deep into the 2-10 season and for the first time while he was here he started blaming academics. He was feeling the heat as many fans were complaining about his lack of performance. But once he trotted that out most of them bought it and started going on about the school instead of him. Suckers each and every one of them.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/lists/s ... tz-quotes/
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bottom line is we get shown time and time again that we do not admit to NCAA minimums as some repeatedly claim. It may not be the same standards as the general undergrad admissions. So the point is that other programs admit athletes at a lower standard than Tulane. This is a yes or no question, no explanation asked for: Does Tulane admit athletes at the NCAA minimum standards? I believe it's clear the answer is "NO". Period. All the other talk is someone trying not to be wrong, but the answer is "no."

We have lost players to this standard and it could have cost the program Tyjae. Thankfully he took the tougher path and got his scores up, or 2022 probably doesn't happen.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:34 am Bottom line is we get shown time and time again that we do not admit to NCAA minimums as some repeatedly claim. It may not be the same standards as the general undergrad admissions. So the point is that other programs admit athletes at a lower standard than Tulane. This is a yes or no question, no explanation asked for: Does Tulane admit athletes at the NCAA minimum standards? I believe it's clear the answer is "NO". Period. All the other talk is someone trying not to be wrong, but the answer is "no."

We have lost players to this standard and it could have cost the program Tyjae. Thankfully he took the tougher path and got his scores up, or 2022 probably doesn't happen.
Absolutely spot on!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

D- I was wrong that we can take at the 17. But the raised standard is just a 19 while we had people here claiming they need a 30. Please tell us how many we lost to the 17 score? Names please. Do you really think the overwhelming majority of student-athletes are getting 17's? I don't. so again any coach blaming their failure on academics is a loser who's never going to leave and go somewhere where they can get in on a 17 and suddenly become a winner.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:50 am
DfromCT wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:34 am Bottom line is we get shown time and time again that we do not admit to NCAA minimums as some repeatedly claim. It may not be the same standards as the general undergrad admissions. So the point is that other programs admit athletes at a lower standard than Tulane. This is a yes or no question, no explanation asked for: Does Tulane admit athletes at the NCAA minimum standards? I believe it's clear the answer is "NO". Period. All the other talk is someone trying not to be wrong, but the answer is "no."

Absolutely spot on!
And you were were dead wrong when you claimed they need a 30 to get in.
GifWave
Ripple

Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:53 am

Absolutely spot on!
Never said that. Non-scholarship avg ACT is now above 30 for admission. To qualify for academic money as well. The old days it was in the high 20’s. Admissions at Tulane have become more difficult for the non-Athletic scholarship student.

And to your point how many were denied. It only takes denying one can change your course as Spears has proven. No telling how many other Spears we not admitted.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:22 am
Absolutely spot on!
Never said that. Non-scholarship avg ACT is now above 30 for admission. To qualify for academic money as well. The old days it was in the high 20’s. Admissions at Tulane have become more difficult for the non-Athletic scholarship student.

And to your point how many were denied. It only takes denying one can change your course as Spears has proven. No telling how many other Spears we not admitted.
You claimed it about Campbell. As to Tyjae we got him and 2022 happened. Also read the article. It's very in depth on the issue of his score. Not once does Tyjae say hey I got a 17 and could have got in K. St. but I kept going because I wanted to get into Tulane.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:09 pm

You claimed it about Campbell. As to Tyjae we got him and 2022 happened. Also read the article. It's very in depth on the issue of his score. Not once does Tyjae say hey I got a 17 and could have got in K. St. but I kept going because I wanted to get into Tulane.
Campbell didn’t quality because Tulane didn’t approve some of his core classes. Wasn’t a test score. They wanted him to take a summer course or two and Ok St said come on in your fine here.
To put it in simple terms Tulane athletes are not equal to some of our opponents when it comes to admissions.
Last edited by Show Me on Tue May 09, 2023 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:52 am D- I was wrong that we can take at the 17. But the raised standard is just a 19 while we had people here claiming they need a 30. Please tell us how many we lost to the 17 score? Names please. Do you really think the overwhelming majority of student-athletes are getting 17's? I don't. so again any coach blaming their failure on academics is a loser who's never going to leave and go somewhere where they can get in on a 17 and suddenly become a winner.
No, but that's not the point. The point is we have and will continue to lose recruits and transfers because our competition has lesser standards. The coaches have zero to do with this argument. Nor do players or examples. The question calls for a yes or no answer, without qualification. ANd we all agree the answer is "no" to the question of whether or not Tulane athletes have the same NCAA minimum admission requirements that our competitors use.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:22 pm
winwave wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:52 am D- I was wrong that we can take at the 17. But the raised standard is just a 19 while we had people here claiming they need a 30. Please tell us how many we lost to the 17 score? Names please. Do you really think the overwhelming majority of student-athletes are getting 17's? I don't. so again any coach blaming their failure on academics is a loser who's never going to leave and go somewhere where they can get in on a 17 and suddenly become a winner.
No, but that's not the point. The point is we have and will continue to lose recruits and transfers because our competition has lesser standards. The coaches have zero to do with this argument. Nor do players or examples. The question calls for a yes or no answer, without qualification. ANd we all agree the answer is "no" to the question of whether or not Tulane athletes have the same NCAA minimum admission requirements that our competitors use.
Exactly. Everyone knows this.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:22 pm
The answer is no. But yet you din't answer if you believe the great majority of S'A's only get 17'S? You have to get a whopping 19 to get in. Wow. That's just devastating. Saban's big on academics. He gets that the discipline begins there. LSU always recruited well but they weren't winning championships till he came. He isn't winning all the Natty's with a team full of players with 17's. So you can stuck on there's a difference but it's miniscule.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:20 pm

Campbell didn’t quality because Tulane didn’t approve some of his core classes. Wasn’t a test score. They wanted him to take a summer course or two and Ok St said come on in your fine here.
To put it in simple terms Tulane athletes are not equal to some of our opponents when it comes to admissions.
You claimed he needed a 30 because it was written by a writer in Oklahoma.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:02 pm
Show Me wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:20 pm

You claimed he needed a 30 because it was written by a writer in Oklahoma.
“Show Me”
viewtopic.php?t=11026&start=425
Last edited by Show Me on Tue May 09, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:00 pm The answer is no.
Everything else is qualification. Qualification = noise = trying to prove a point that nobody else wants to argue. So please stop arguing with yourself.

The answer is no. Period.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:07 pm
Everything else is qualification. Qualification = noise = trying to prove a point that nobody else wants to argue. So please stop arguing with yourself.

Exactly. Argue and divert to something else.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OMG you need a 19 to get in at Tulane. it's the end of the world. Tulane has no chance. All other schools only recruit players with 17's. This is terrible. Stop buying season tickets. Stop giving to the Green Wave Club. Stop going to the games. it's over. Tulane has no chance.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:12 pm

OMG you need a 19 to get in at Tulane. it's the end of the world. Tulane has no chance. All other schools only recruit players with 17's. This is terrible. Stop buying season tickets. Stop giving to the Green Wave Club. Stop going to the games. it's over. Tulane has no chance.
Unfortunately the truth hurts. Just points out that all the years you said we were on equal terms with all was WRONG.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You'll love this. I was wrong again . It's takes an 18 to get in.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:15 pm
winwave wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:12 pm

Unfortunately the truth hurts. Just points out that all the years you said we were on equal terms with all was WRONG.
Wow a 19 over an 18. Killing us.